Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Macedonian  (Read 37191 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Macedonian
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2020, 11:06:17 am »

Have you tried printing the problem items with supports which will raise the object off of the bed. Also does your printer have a pause option during printing. My Anycubic Photon S has this and it raised the bed out of the resin allowing for a quick check that the print is going OK. I usually use it after around 200 layers to check that the print is sticking to the bed.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:44 am »

I did put them on supports, but I intent to try putting them a little higher off the plate with heavier supports - I used "medium."
I'll have to look into that pause idea, I thought about it but was afraid to accidentally cause the print to cancel.
I do need to slick the film at the bottom of the vat so things don't stick so hard, I've lost two prints and one carronade slide that were actually pulled off thier supports.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2020, 11:57:10 am »

I'll have to look into that pause idea, I thought about it but was afraid to accidentally cause the print to cancel.
I do need to slick the film at the bottom of the vat so things don't stick so hard, I've lost two prints and one carronade slide that were actually pulled off thier supports.
I wouldn't worry about accidentally cancelling using pause, I have found it 100% reliable in restarting print. Not that much you can do about the surface of the film, be carefull as it is easily damaged. Just keep a few spare films handy for replacment especially if the film surface gets scratched or start going cloudy with fine scratches if you have to remove a failed print from the film. Repacing the film is quite easy although time consuming, just make sure the tension on the film is right.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2022, 08:48:01 am »

Not much happening with Mac for a while. 

I started on a 3D model for her 18 pounders with the intention of printing gun and carriage all in one piece like I did Constellation's pivot guns.  It wasn't a complete model, but it printed great and now lives on my bookshelves.

The first things I had in mind when getting a 3D printer was Constellation's tailboard carvings, and Mac's figurehead.  So far when it comes to 3D modeling these items, I suck.  Furthermore, every time I look at what's alleged to be Mac's original figurehead, I have my doubts.  The thing looks like a caricature and I think the figurehead was damaged when the ship was bow raked, and repaired by the United States' carpenter with his tongue planted in his cheek.  I think the figurehead was a much nicer piece of work than whats sitting in Annapolis today, and so I scaled a 3D model of a bust of Alexander and did a test print of it as the model's figurehead.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2022, 02:43:05 pm »

Jerry, outstanding!  3D and photo-etch have boosted modeling making in amazing ways.  Tks for sharing, always enjoy your work sir.
Cheers, Dennis

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
A Galley Stove
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2023, 11:13:35 pm »

I began modeling a Brodie stove for Macedonian for 3D printing.The Brodie stove was the most common type on British warships till 1810, when the Lamb & Nicholson stove began taking over.Macedonian was launched in 1810, but I'm assuming the stove was requisitioned some time before, and was most likely a Brodie.
The 3D model was done in Anim8or, and a test print was made on my Elegoo Mars 3 printer.  Some items were too fine to print properly, or visibly, so I went back to the model and beefed up the details.
Hopefully the next print won't need any adjustment, though the upper chimney part may need to be stretched a bit to be tall enough, and reprinted.

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2023, 03:36:16 am »

Looking in Lavery's Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War I found a chart on page 198 (2006 edition) showing various stoves sizes for ships of different gun ratings.I adjusted the model to the sizes listed for a 38 gun ship, and printed it again.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2023, 03:09:55 pm »

What an interesting project! It reminds me of Warspite's build of a few years back. I noted your clever use of a modified Craft Knife (Stanley) blade, turning it into a profile scraper! (post #55)

I noted that your topic started in 2011 Jerry. I think that must hold the record for being the longest active topic on Mayhem?

Lovely work matey  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2023, 05:59:25 pm »

Unique special model Galley Cooks Jerry ....two beating their sweating brow  O0 .................

Family friends of ours purchased an old home complete with one of those huge two-tone 'creme & green enamelled coal-fired kitchen stoves'

Was the warmest part of the home...we all gathered around it as they are great heaters

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
Taking my Time by the Stove
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2023, 03:08:54 am »

I started Macedonian in October of 2011, but I started Constellation in February of 1999.  We moved and Constellation sat under a plastic sheet in the barn until 2008 by which time, I had moved a couple of times more before finally starting work on her again.Pride of Baltimore was started in November of 2010, and sat until September 2011, when I started planking the hull.
Macedonian, I'm sorry to say, tends to be at the lowest priority in my sketchy work schedule on these three models.  Besides them, I have a barkentine I haven't really started yet; a 100 year old pond yacht to restore, and a plastic kit of a WWII destroyer to do.  I had a Heller 1:100 Victory for a while, a kit I had dreamed of having when I was a teen, but I sent that one off with a young man to give his father.
The first boat I crewed on was a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack (sailing oyster dredging boat) built in 1905 named Minnie V (that's Vee, not 5)  She had a cast-iron two-eyed potbelly stove in the cabin that did a nice job heating our little home, as well as some canned goods now and then.
Several boats I've worked on had stoves that were characters unto themselves, but the stove that's always stuck in my memory was from my reenacting days doing American Civil War Union Cavalry.
One drenching rainy day at Piedmont Station Virginia, we rode up to the general store in town that had a covered porch, big double doors, and a 6 foot tall pot-belly stove in the middle of the place with chairs all around it.  It was a great place for a platoon of soggy Yankee (we were a Maine regiment) cavalry to warm up.  Ahh, sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a cigar, and drinking coffee from a tin cup.

Oh, the other brow-beater's actually toting a powder keg ;)

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2024, 08:59:09 pm »

With Constellation's boats done, except for finish paint work, and it still too cold in my shop to do that, I'm coming back to Macedonian and and ambitious project to to the entire stern and quarter galleries in 3D.
The pics are work-in-progress.  I actually printed the version in the first picture, but the scale was off (too small) and I had to figure out why; I think I have that fixed now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.