Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: navigation lights  (Read 2912 times)

triumphjon

navigation lights
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »

ive recently overhauled an old 1920s pond sailer , having converted it to a radio controlled model of a period fishing smack , i would like to install some working navigation lights . im unsure as to which style of lamp or where on the vessel they should be ? im geussing they would have been oil lamps ? ive managed to buy several flickering tea lights in readyness ! jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: navigation lights
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:55:16 am »

If you have a wheelhouse then the sides of the roof will be ok.
If no superstructure then the light boards should be fixed to the shrouds
no higher then scale head height (The crew needed to reach them to light
the oil lamps) The light boards would probably be white.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

CJ1

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:31:57 am »

Jon,

Their position varied, but generally they were on the side shrouds, high enough up to be above the waves and be seen from a distance but low enough to be lit from deck as Ned says! Click on this photo of "Jolie Brise" and you can see it between the two side shrouds about six feet above the deck with the boat name on it.

They would have had an oil lamp set at the back edge of a wooden screen board to show a light forward and to the side. The size of this "screen board" depended on the rigging to which it was attached, so you could have short or long ones. These side screens were three sided, bottom back and inner, sometimes square edge and functional, sometimes elegantly carved.

The rules have, for many years, been that the inside of the screen boards should be matt black to avoid light being scattered outside their "sector". Admittedly not all owners knew this and you did see white or even green and red like this one above!

The wires to the tea lights could conveniently be run up the rearmost of the two shrouds to which you fix the lights.

Chris

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:47:32 pm »

Hi, there is a flickering light, simulating oil lamps,  electronics kit, I think they are obtainable from Action, which might be suitable.
regards Roy

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »

thamk you , the tea lights ive bought are already the flickering type , the only downside is they are an amber coloured led , not sure how good the green will look ?

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:48:15 am »

There used to be a trick  question on the 2nd mates exam years ago
 Is the light bulb or the filter Red on the stbd side light ---- The answer is of course,,,, Nither the stbd light is green not red and its the green filter that makes it so
 the answer to your question is use a  colured Filter
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 08:22:41 am »

for my electric powered fairey  huntsman & spear ive used some led covers from maplins , however im using white and green leds inside those . what i am a little concerned about is my amber flickering leds distorting thte red or green colouring slightly ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:32 am »

As I think has been mentioned somewhere else, the old starboard lights apparently had blueish glass to compensate for the oil lamp flame being yellow.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.