Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sails  (Read 1919 times)

rob1962

• Shipmate
Sails
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:48:50 am »

Now that Stubbs is complete apart from the sails, I have had a first stab at sailmaking.
The nylon tent lining I was thinking of using is nice and light, and would work well, however it is difficult to iron out creases. More importantly, it looks that bit shiny; whilst this would be fine on a modern yacht with synthetic sails, it aint on this one!
I have some Egyptian cotton sailcloth, which is supposed to be the right stuff; it is heavy, and looks thick and 'dead' somehow.
Pulling out my linen hankerchief, this material seems to be nearer to what I had in mind; much finer.
Anyone know of a source of fine unbleached linen? 
Proud owner Krick Victoria & Krick Borkum.Cheddar Claire/pintail E & B

slug

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sails
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:34:20 pm »

modelling timbers of snaith do some very nice egyptian cotton afriend made some sails for a lugger out of an old sheet they look very good dyed a tan colour and it sails well   slug

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »

tou can see my friends boat on hembc oct - dec photos it is the one with a swan in photo hope this helps   slug

rob1962

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:15:38 am »

modelling timbers of snaith do some very nice egyptian cotton afriend made some sails for a lugger out of an old sheet they look very good dyed a tan colour and it sails well   slug

That's what I have- the Egyptian cotton- still think it's thick and heavy.
Someone has recommended Supplex fabric; the UK ads I have seen all seem to be the stretchy Lycra version. Anyone know of a UK source of the non-stretchy type?
Proud owner Krick Victoria & Krick Borkum.Cheddar Claire/pintail E & B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.