Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seehund Sub wanted  (Read 6748 times)

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Seehund Sub wanted
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:56:31 am »

Hi All,

A friend has asked me if through the forum I can help him find the following items.

A Seehund Sub and static dive module.
The boat was manufactured by Sussex Modelling Productions, and the dive module by Craycraft Model Engineering Supplies or Craycraft MES
The above details were taken from Model Boats Magazine September 1996.

He is after a new one not second hand, but does not know if they are still available. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Seehund Sub wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:33:51 am »

OTW now sell a Seehund and module, may fit the bill.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:29 am »

The Seehund you refer to was made by Dave Diplock. Dave is a good modeller, but didn't have a lot of reference material when he made the masters, so the proportions are way out. In short it wasn't a very accurate rendition, and the OTW version is much better.

Craycraft are no longer building dive modules, Brian Cornelius moved onto other things, but dive modules are available from OTW as Mankster said.

There was a chap advertising a new unbuilt OTW Seehund in Marine Modelling last month, and it looked like a good price.

http://www.otwdesigns.com/Seehund/Seehund_big.htm

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »

scratch built my own seehund from russian drawings. when i saw the OTW version i got quite worried as there was a substantial difference between mine and theres. double checked with Dimms taken from the Web and mine was closer than theres.
the other difference is, theres works, mine with limited sucess. will finish it one day
colin
grumpy old XXX

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:18:19 pm »

Hi All,

Thanks for your prompt reply to my enquiry.
I had a look at the OTW version but it is a bit on the long side, although I don't know how long the one  that he enquired about is.

I'll phone him later and find out.

Thanks again Bob.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:05:50 am »

scratch built my own seehund from russian drawings. when i saw the OTW version i got quite worried as there was a substantial difference between mine and theres. double checked with Dimms taken from the Web and mine was closer than theres.
the other difference is, theres works, mine with limited sucess. will finish it one day
colin

Colin,

The OTW was very carefully researched with much information coming from a chap called Peter Withol, who is involved with the restoration/preservation of a 1:1 Seehund.

Seehunds differ in many many ways, as they were screwed together in different shipyards, and the design constantly evolved as production continued. What OTW did, was to produce a 'Generic' Seehind. A model that captured most of the important aspects of the design as accurately as possible, whilst allowing modellers to modify the hull to a specific boat etc.

It a is quite a chunk of boat at 1/9th scale. The Craycraft/Diplock boat was 40" long, which equates to 1/12th scale.

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:33:32 pm »

this has been buging me for some time and have been doubting my maths. below is dimensions i picked up from the first site i typed in on a search.
Technical Data
Size:     
Length:     11,86 m
Beam:     Diameter 1,28m
Diving Depth:     30 m
Armament:     2 x 53,3 cm torpedoes (G7e)
Performance:     60 hp (Büssing  6cyl diesel engine), 25 hp (battery)
  Speed: 7,7 kn (6 kn submerged)
  Range: 270 miles at 7,7 kn (63 miles at 3 kn submerged)

now here are OTW dimensions.
Model Dimensions:

Scale 1/9th
Length 53" (1350 mm)
Beam 5" (130 mm)
Price £525

ok, i always knew the damned things were thrown together and there would have been differences.  but even taking that into acount there is a substantial diffrence. i dont mean to knit pick but i thought i would show the reason for my comment.
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 09:16:08 pm »

Well going by those, at 1/9th scale the hull should be a smidgen under 52" long and about 5.5" wide.

It's not way out is it? Plus you can't be sure where those measurements were taken on the model or the full size. I also know that OTW tend to round down or up dimensions sometimes.

Sclass

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:03:45 pm »

I note with interest the speculation on our Seehund and it is interesting to hear comments as to accuracy etc.
There are so many different dimensions which do you choose.We worked with Pete Whitol,Klaus Mattes and David Hill.I think we have a reasonable facsimile or the boat we measured two actual boats as much of the material on the web in not accurate.The boat is generic in so far it allows the builder to choose the slot patterns and the height of the entrance hatch,which vary from boat to boat .The hull and tower and plate line are as true as they can be.REf Dave Dippocks boat I built one in 95 and it ran very well my problem with it was one torpedo  was 10mm lower than the other and this was a defect in the mould see font cover on model boats.
Steve Warner and I did the Seehund In 1/9th scale to give a half decent sized boat.

robbo770

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:01:09 pm »

Well it may be of interest I am expecting delivery of a batch of Seahund hulls from RPM for sale via SubTech

here is the link http://www.subtech.uk.com/acatalog/RPM_Modelling_Submarines.html

just to give you another option

Happy New Year

Rob from SubTech

stallspeed

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:42:32 pm »

Hi All,

A friend has asked me if through the forum I can help him find the following items.

A Seehund Sub and static dive module.
The boat was manufactured by Sussex Modelling Productions, and the dive module by Craycraft Model Engineering Supplies or Craycraft MES
The above details were taken from Model Boats Magazine September 1996.

He is after a new one not second hand, but does not know if they are still available. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob
Hi Bob.
I was looking for either a Seehund kit or hull and was referred to a Brian Cornelius of Craycraft who manufactured the module and sold the Seehund. Brian only had a completed working one and mentioned in passing that he might put it up for sale.

Although he did not manufacture the module any longer he could sell any remaining stock of fittings but the last waterproof motor mount had just gone.
I can supply his home phone by private message if you want it.
Jim Gonzales

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 01:01:42 am »

For what its worth, there is a smaller 1/22 Seehund kit from the States that recently came on the market. They also make a 1/22 Marder if you want to get really small.

http://www.81x.com/rpmtech/seehund2

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930092

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:15 pm »

Hi BobF
I attach a couple of photos of the OTW kit I completed in the latter part of last year. I leave you to judge the quality of the finished article and how well it represents the original concept.
Reinhard

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 04:01:53 pm »

Hi,
A BIG thank you to you all for your recent responses to my original question.
I have to admit, that I am not into subs. and and not been following this thread of late, as I had forgotten it was me that started it on behalf of my friend. (I'm not into subs, but do have a couple)  :-))
I will be in contact with him soon, but he is in the process of moving house, so models are not top of his list at the moment. I'll give him a couple of weeks to get settled him then pay him a visit, (he lives about fifty miles away) and take a print off of your various replies to have a look at, as he is not on computer. (I'm his internet)
After that I will post the results on here.
It is only as a result of a PM from gantu, that I realised my original request this was still up and running.
Thanks once again for all your efforts on my/his behalf
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.