Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SCOTTISH WHEATHER  (Read 1515 times)

Patternmaker

SCOTTISH WHEATHER
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:19 am »

Commiserations to all my Scottish friends on the horrific weather you have experienced the last few weeks, wind speeds of 91mph recorded in Glasgow I hope you have escaped any structural damage.

Ever thought of moving to the Southeast Rivera, lowest rainfall in the UK, highest recorded temperatures and longest sunshine hours per year.

Disadvantages where I live, high property prices, very large Gas storage plant 1/2 mile away, 22 massive storage facility, tanks in which highly flammable chemicals are stored some with a flash point of 8 centigrade,
2 miles away and a flood risk, the Island is below sea level. Total gridlock on the roads if there is a Accident, if ever the Island had to be evacuated forget it unless you have a helicopter or a boat as all traffic converges at one roundabout. They have just closed our fire station, nearest one now 12 miles away with a population of over 40000.

Second  thoughts I think I will move to Scotland, also plenty of clubs and lochs to sail my boats.

Mick

wbeedie

Re: SCOTTISH WHEATHER
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:24:06 am »

It was all these heathens at the south of the country up here in the islands not more than a breeze in fact I was out in a 35 ft creel boat hauling creels when the weegies werer getting hit and it was much more than a ripple in a pond ,,k but at least brickies will be getting some work in(by brickies I mean the construction industry as a whole) so every cloud has a silver lining, feel sorry for those that suffered but hopefully most will be insured , just a pity not everyone

alan rushbrook

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:57:55 am »

Hi Mick
Is Canvey still the only place in the UK that has permafrost?. I seem to remember from when I lived in Basildon back in the Late 70's early 80's reading that this was the case. I also remember at that time you had nicely sign posted escape routes (that where either colour coded or referenced by letters/numbers I cannot remember witch) for different parts of the island to get you off in case of flooding.
Regards
Alan

Patternmaker

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:22 am »

Hi Allan,
In the late 70s and early 80s methane was stored underground which caused the Permafrost, Canvey Island was the guinea pig for the change to natural gas which caused all sorts of problems, all gas appliances had to be
Converted, a lot had to be replaced because they could not be converted.
We had a multipoint water heater, after 15 different fitters attempted to solve the problem of not lighting, when it did it use to blow the cover off.
As this was our only source for hot water and with 2 young children I decided to sort it out, as I kept telling the fitters the pilot light was the problem, the jet was to small, the appliance was filling with gas before
It ignited, I drilled out the jet, problem solved.

The permafrost spread from the underground storage for about 1/4 mile, when it closed they said it would take years before any development could take place, also when the plant was operational it had a exclusion zone of
1 mile radius from the plant for any development.

The gas storage tanks now replace the old plant with a large housing development a stones throw away.

Yes we did have colour coded escape routes in case of flooding, but not for long, it was realised that all escape routes
converged into one which made them completely useless, it took 2 days to evacuate the Island after the 1953 with a population of 10000.
We have one of the best sea defences in the country, the problem is on spring tides and tidal surges the only escape route off the Island has to be closed with a barrier to prevent flooding.
All the residents have been campaining for years for another access road of the Island, the council has just spent
18.5 million on a access road from an industrial estate to the gas terminal, now called the road to nowhere but evidently great for the boy racers.

Mick

bikemec

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

A wild couple of days, woke up yesterday to find this

my focus survived unharmed, father in laws astra broken windscreen, various small dents all over the front,

several hours with hand saw and small axe and this is what just missed both cars, now the chainsaw could come out to play,

the cables are the houses phone lines, and lots of slates around, got the fence back from next door and temp put back

Just 30-40 mph gusts and rain today so staying inside
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.