Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Android phones  (Read 5438 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Android phones
« on: December 19, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

Afternoon all!

Any prepubescent nerds out there? I've just bought a new Androiod phone and have no idea how to use it!!
  I've always been Nokia up till now but needed something called "push email" so I can received emails from the company
  I now work for.  It's a Samsung Galaxy Ace... and .my questions are:

1. How do I set up "Profiles"?
    On my Nokia i could set up 'Silent', 'Meeting', 'Ring once', etc. how do I do that on an Samsung / Android?

2. How do I set up 'Push email'?

3. What are some really useful "apps" I should download?

3. Can I use Paypal to pay for apps?

Thanks in advance.....
     Martin

PS. There seems to be a huge range of feature on this phone..... it can make phone calls too can it?!?!?   {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nige52

Re: Android phones
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 04:13:55 pm »

I think that if it were me, I'd hire a pre-pubescent nerd to actually operate it on my behalf, anything with more than 6 buttons leaves me cold..... :embarrassed:

andyn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

In my personal experience, any phone with samsung written on it is best when paid a visit to the vice and my huge spanner....

You don't necessarily need push emails, infact on my ipad I've turned them off as little notifications popping up all the time is nothing more than annoying.

Of course Martin, there is one very easy way to sort your problems, and that is to READ THE FLIPPIN MANUAL %)

Andy ;)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »

Happy Christmas Martin
Welcome to the world of smart phones.
Some of then out smart me, should have got an I phone.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:53 pm »

Martin

any good

http://droidtricks.blogspot.com/2011/02/download-samsung-galaxy-ace-s5830-user.html

Me, I use semaphore but is is a bit of a f(l)ag!  {-)
Don't Assume Check

andyn

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »

Some of then out smart me, should have got an I phone.

Exactly ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:47:01 pm »

You need an Android to work it Martin....

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

I just got a new phone & I am having a hard time switching it on just to make a regular call so I am not going to be much help Martin, all I can say is Merry Xmas & have fun. Mick B.
Mick B.

ACTion

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »

Mick - you have my sympathies, old dear. I hate the damned things even though I have one somewhere.............complete with instructions on how to switch it on and make a call, written for me by my grand-daughter Jo.
ACTion Woman bought one of these Samsung Galaxies about eight months ago and she has learned how to get the functions working all by herself. Now she can play Solitaire, surf the interweb and buy stuff online or E-mail the kids when we're at shows, instead of trying to look interested in model boat electronics. At our family Christmas this weekend there was a period where Liz was happily 'apping' away with her Galaxy; daughter Helen was E-Mailing a mate from her Blackberry and G-D Lucy was heavily into something on her i-Pad. G-D Jo was, as usual, texting her boyfriend every ten minutes. At the same time no male member of the family was anywhere near a computer (unless you count G-S Archie and his Nintendo DS3).
The morale of this? Martin; just chuck it to Mrs Mayhem - she'll sort it in a jiffy!
DM

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »

Best use for all mobiles and the "App" is free, stick it under the back wheel of the car, - Just in case of handbrake failure.  :-))

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

bikerdude666

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »

best app to get is angry birds/angry birds seasons/angry birds rio....

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:30 pm »

angry birds (various)
UK weather
google night sky
google maps
google earth
electrodroid
barcode scanner
call confirm,    ( to stop your pocket making calls)
BBC news
ebay mobile
there's a paypal mobile but not used it

andyn

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »

And of course, cut the rope!

Most importantly however for Martin's particular case is the Accuweather app, which includes a hair frizz risk forecast  ;)

Andy

HawkEye

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

my questions are:

On my Nokia i could set up 'Silent', 'Meeting', 'Ring once', etc. how do I do that on an Samsung / Android?
No profiles as such ( although there's probably an app )- for silent mode - long pust power button - select silent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6iqCSPnQYU

Most as listed by funtimefrankie  plus Onavo (keeps track of and limits data usage), Aldiko - ebook reader, tvcatchup - live tv for free, Leo's rc simulator is a bit of fun + whatever takes your fancy, try the free versions first - you can always remove them

3. Can I use Paypal to pay for apps?

Not Yet ! - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Android-Market-to-Get-PayPal-Payment-Option-Soon-231974.shtml

Thanks in advance.....
     Martin

PS. There seems to be a huge range of feature on this phone..... it can make phone calls too can it?!?!?   {:-{

[/color]

Regards
HawkEye

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »

Definitely a Paypal app. Just down loaded it and signed on to my account, so it works...... :-)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:45 am »

If you're like me, the handiest App you can possibly get is "Where is my phone" ... I'm always putting my phone down and forgetting where    :((  With this app you just whistle and it calls back to you with a variety of noises to let you know where it is....  Brilliant!  %%
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 11:18:57 am »

That's for all of that gentlemen, starting to get somewhere now.... these Smart phones... are quite clever!

Next job, transferring my Nokia contacts to the "droid" ( as I think they are called on the street!!! )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:38 am »

You should be able to convert all your Nokias contacts to a file then bluetooth it over to the new one. If you're really lucky it'll have a option in one of the menus offering 'export contacts' which is even quicker....

Andy :-)

Bowwave

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »

Martin  you think you have problems ,I'm still trying to get my head round  working a  VHS recording machine  %%  every thing else is "Alien" technology :o
Bowwave

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »

Welcome to the CURRENT century Martin.... :-))   

As for all the others ??????? :P{-)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »

You can't beat a good old Nokia...mine's been dropped down the loo(don't ask)dropped on the road, knocked into a bowl of washing up, it's now held together with tape inside, and still it works ok.

My previous Nokia managed to get itself sucked up the hoover on my sweeper(back in my working days)spent five hours covered in all sorts of unmentionable stuff in the back of the sweeper, and still worked when I got to the tip and discovered it covered in semi liquid gunge. After a quick wash down it worked for months afterwards until I retired from active duty.

Nige52

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 03:36:23 pm »

Those were the days Rich, my first one had a B button which I pressed to get my fourpence back  :-)) {-)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »

And I bet you carried it about in a red case...

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »

That's for all of that gentlemen, starting to get somewhere now.... these Smart phones... are quite clever!

Next job, transferring my Nokia contacts to the "droid" ( as I think they are called on the street!!! )

the easyest way to copy all your contacts over is to put your new sim card into the old phone and copy them to the sim. these days most phone save contacts to the phone memory and not the sim as default, this is bad as if you have to do a hard reset or your phone gets smashed you loose your contacts! my advice is to have them in the phone for regular use and regally copy your phone contact list to the sim for safe keeping. if you end up with two of everything you can select which memory to display, tell it to just show phone contacts and you will have only one of each. as for push email, you don't need to run that, it hammers your battery! instead have your phone check your email account on a regular basis. you can set it to anything from 1 min to 24 hours i believe

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

I is now now an Android hexspert!    O0

.... to answer some of me own questions...

Download an App called 'Quick profiles.'

Find someone else with it already setup on their phone and copy their settings!  :embarrassed:

Angry Birds 1, 2 & 3!
      Google Sky Map (awesome!)
      Beautiful Widgets
      DropBox
      Barcode Scanner
      Fruit Ninja
      ThinkFree Office
      Aldiko (book reader)
      Night Vision camera

4. Can I use Paypal to pay for apps?
     ... No  >:-o

5.  Copy contacts from Nokia to Android?
   Copy / backup Nokia phone using OVI suite (Nokia)
    Download ‘NBU Explorer’ - http://sourceforge.net/projects/nbuexplorer/
    Extract / copy all .vcf files from 'backup'
    Copy .vcf files to Android micro SD card
    Import contact from card to phone.
    Done!
    ( Full instructions here -  http://www.androidrelated.info/2011/03/transferring-contacts-from-nokia-to.html  )

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.