Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Medical Section  (Read 101658 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ...Medical Section ....on a lighter note
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2012, 05:48:50 am »

On the lighter side, got this bit of current advice. Apparently it is freely available. O0 O0 O0
Have been reassured that the logic is faultless.  %)   %)   %)   %)

You have to love this Japanese Doctor!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits, Yanks and Aussies.
2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits, Yanks and Aussies.
3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits, Yanks and Aussies.
4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits, Yanks and Aussies.
5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits, Yanks and Aussies.
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: .........Medical Section ...........
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

This is a bit more detailed http://www.cmaj.ca/site/misc/pr/26nov12_pr.xhtml
They mention Limes, Seville Oranges in marmalade, etc.
Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

Dave,

The actual figures of deaths is very disturbing to say the least.

Particularly so, as we are encouraged to consume grapefruit for health and an aid weight loss.

Sometimes Doctors opt out for the easy solution by prescribing medication when dietary changes will achieve the same result.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:11 pm »

I agree with you Colin that misuse of anything creates it's own problems, but surely throwing the Baby out with the bath water is not always the solution & causes more issues than it fixes in most instances.When we find ourselves in these situations let us have a calm & constructive discussion on the issues & fix them in the least abrasive way possible. That said, sometimes it may be necessary to combine bathwater & baby. Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »

This thread has opened my eyes to how easy it is to injest the right things at the wrong time. I like marmalade on my toast in the morning, probably not a good idea in light of what I am reading here, Mick B.
Mick B.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2012, 06:40:03 pm »

I agree with you Colin that misuse of anything creates it's own problems

Quite right Mick, it's just a question of getting the balance right and the problem is that usually things get a bit too far before the brakes are applied.

As someone not from the UK, you might like the following about babies and bathwater although I expect some of us Brits will know it.

Colin

A mother was bathin' her baby one night
The youngest of ten, a poor little mite
The mother was fat and the baby was fin
T'was nawt but a skellington wrapped up in skin

The mother turned round for the soap from the rack
She weren't gone a minute, but when she got back
Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried
"Oh, where is my baby?", and the angels replied

Your baby has gorn dahn the plug'ole
Your baby has gorn dahn the plug
The poor little thing was so skinny and thin
He shoulda been bathed in a jug

Your baby is perfik'ly happy
He won't need no bathin' no more
He's workin' his way through the sewers
Not lost, just gone on before

Your baby has gorn dahn the drainpipe
And the chlorine is bad for his eyes
He's havin' a swim, and it's healthy for him
He needed the exercise

Don't worry 'baht 'im, just be 'appy
For I know he is suff'rin' no pain
Your baby has gorn dahn the plug'ole
Let's hope he don't stop up the drain

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

Hi Mick
You would have to consider quantities and frequency. I just want people to know they need to think about Citrus versus medications because I don't think the health agencies have any strategy for educating us on this.

Dave.

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »

Colin, remember Cream is also bad for your health - your little ditty has probably but at least 2mm of cholestorol onto our arteries
 %) %) {-)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:19 am »

I went to see the diabetic nurse today. Came away with another tablet to take. This one is a top up for my blood pressure tablets; it seems it has gone up. I have been quite stressed about work lately so maybe that is why. Anyway the cherry on top is that it will probably make my ankles swell she said. Then I went to the chemist and he asked if he could ring me next week to see how I am getting on with them - now that's never happened before? Amlodipine Besilate they are called.

I wondered if any of you guys have had requests like that from a chemist? I never thought to ask him why - silly of me I know  :embarrassed:
Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: December 11, 2012, 08:12:59 am »

I went to see the diabetic nurse today. Came away with another tablet to take. This one is a top up for my blood pressure tablets; it seems it has gone up. I have been quite stressed about work lately so maybe that is why. Anyway the cherry on top is that it will probably make my ankles swell she said. Then I went to the chemist and he asked if he could ring me next week to see how I am getting on with them - now that's never happened before? Amlodipine Besilate they are called.

I wondered if any of you guys have had requests like that from a chemist? I never thought to ask him why - silly of me I know  :embarrassed:
Dave

Maybe you are the first person he has perscribed them to
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2012, 10:01:06 am »

Have you read the patient information leaflet - or googled it - as you have been told there can be adverse reactions
(as there can be with all drugs) the most common are peripheral oedema (fluid on the ankles ) 8.9% of patients and
fatigue 4.5 % - that is probably why the chemist asked you - then the reaction get les likely but there are quite a few of
them so have a look on the leaflet or wiki to put your mind at rest or scare the cr*p out of you.  Dont worry to much
about developing breasts it is very rare.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »

Quote from: pugwash link=topic=34492.msg409809#msg409809 date= Don't worry to much about developing breasts it is very rare.[/quote
That was the bit I was looking forward to  {-)

I did read the leaflet and the tabs have been around for a while too. I just thought I would ask on here as between us we must have suffered everything medical under the sun. I can even report a couple of weeks in good health .... Though that might just have been during a delusional episode.

Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:48 pm »

Have you read the patient information leaflet - or googled it - as you have been told there can be adverse reactions
(as there can be with all drugs) the most common are peripheral oedema (fluid on the ankles ) 8.9% of patients and
fatigue 4.5 % - that is probably why the chemist asked you - then the reaction get les likely but there are quite a few of
them so have a look on the leaflet or wiki to put your mind at rest or scare the cr*p out of you.  Dont worry to much
about developing breasts it is very rare.
Geoff

I am shocked, what has happened in the UK????, judging by the latest census, at least in Australia, nearly 50% of the population still have breasts  %)   %) %)

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #188 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »

I've been on Amlodopine for a couple of years, and never realised that was why my "upper 2 pack" had increased in size!!

I did try to carry out a survey in the pub and counted 6 breasts before being thrown out - so we still have some in this country Aarty :-)

Cheers
Danny

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »

No ankle swelling then Andy? The reason I am bothered is because long term swelling can lead to nerve damage. Diabetics already have big concerns re nerve damage to feet.

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:37 pm »

Hi Guys

This thread refuses to die because I seem to have an endless supply of physical defects  <:( Ok, I need to go back to the doctors ... hoping of course for a Doctor with a smattering of English. I thought I might ask about your experiences first though.

I have a long standing problem with my thumbs and over the last few months it has worsened week by week. Most of the time they hurt, varying from discomfort to the use of many expletives. Sometimes I get a complete loss of function and the pain can make me drop things instantly - terrified of tea pots etc... Yet I could lift a paving stone with a fair amount of confidence. Slight knocks, driving more than a few minutes, typing are all difficult. Jars and pepper mills are a complete no no. The action of using a bar of soap can hurt a lot.

It started in my right hand and after a couple of years the left hand started and caught up quickly with the right. I don't use vibration tools - or use my left for much. So when Doc 2 suggested Carpal Tunnel I disagreed with him but went for the tests. Right hand borderline and left hand ok? I went back and he sort of shrugged at the results but made no further suggestions. Oh Doc 1 had just said take some painkillers ... that was years ago.

So almost a year has passed and it is getting to be a real big problem for me. I am wondering if it could be Rheumatism or Arthritis? Any thoughts? Base of the thumbs are the worst area. I guess I want some food for thought before I go back.

Dave

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »

happy to oblige.... the new blade for my fretsaw says that it can handle bone :D

not sure what it could be but I have a similar proplem with the top 2 joints of my index finger, they'll be fine for weeks then it's painfull as hell for a few days with a slightest knock near the joint and the pain is quite bad

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:17 am »

Most probably arthritis - I have similar problems which vary from a nuisance to agony! Try Ibuprofen - tablets and gel to rub on.

Barrie

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:52 am »

?gout?
Jerry.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:49 am »

I can tell I'm getting old.....
My mother swears by Glucosamine and Cod liver oil tablets for her Arthritis.... I have started taking them myself (I'm 40)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2013, 10:37:23 am »

My brothers mother-in-law sprays WD40 on her knees & ankles  %%  prior to playing golf  O0 ........... she is 82 & plays 9 holes twice a week...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:05 am »

My mother swears by ......... Cod liver oil tablets for her Arthritis
Now I've always had a problem with this stuff. Was there at some time a stone-age dude who was walking along a prehistoric beach one day and, on seeing a dead cod lying in the sand, had the sudden inspiration that cutting out its liver and drinking the oil would stop the pains in his joints?
I think we should be told..................  O0
DM

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:33 am »

Now I've always had a problem with this stuff. Was there at some time a stone-age dude who was walking along a prehistoric beach one day and, on seeing a dead cod lying in the sand, had the sudden inspiration that cutting out its liver and drinking the oil would stop the pains in his joints?
I think we should be told..................  O0
DM

There are several things like that.... makes you wonder what was going through the discoverers mind at the time

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:41 am »

You've got to be really hungry to want to chew lobster shells!
Jerry.

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:06 am »

I have to take a enzyme that comes from Chinese hamsters ovaries. So who thought of that and what gave them the idea.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.