Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Medical Section  (Read 101715 times)

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Medical Section
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2013, 08:56:18 am »

Tie a piece of cotton around the arm, just under your bad shoulder and jump out of a 10th storey window, when you hit the ground all your pain will be gone  %% %% %% .....

If you don't fancy doing that, get yourself off to sick bay and see the doc... Doing anything else could do even more damage to the shoulder... (Might not be a trapped nerve!!)

Paul..

Stavros

« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2013, 11:54:39 am »

Osteopath  :-))

Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:31 pm »

Martin, I'm certainly no doctor but you may have damaged the Supraspinatus tendon (Google it) My wife suffered an undiagnosed injury to hers many years ago, and by the time the doctors realised that the tendon was completely snapped, it was too late to do anything about it. As a result, she is unable to lift her arm above her shoulder on the affected side, and has had to have 2 cortisone injections to relieve the pain.

Your pain may be from a completely different injury, but it's worth asking your doctor.

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »

Anyone know a cure or relief from a trapped nerve in the shoulder?
I think I broke the 'string' in my shoulder / arm changing a tyre on the motor
last week... ( blowout at 70mph! )

My arm's killing me, been crying like a girl all weekend.  <:(

This shoulder still giving me serious 'gyp', someone recommended acupuncture - anyone have personal experience with acupuncture ?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:16 pm »

I would go with Peter Fitness. That's similar to my problem but I've got in both shoulders. However I haven't broken the tendon but suffer an impingement. Treated with physio and cortisone injections. Success on one shoulder but not the other. Next stage is surgery which I don't want. Physioterrorist will only give two injections but I can get them done by my GP. I had acupuncture for a ruptured disc. Didn't have much faith in it. Thought it all mumbo jumbo but effect was dramatic. Within a minute after needles put in felt like I'd yamsinged ten triple G&Ts. Lasted 12 hours first time, for hours second time and nothing on third time. Three days between each treatment. After third time pain completely gone. If I ever feel it returning I do a simple exercise which cures it immediately. For you first stop GP.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2013, 11:38:23 pm »

Yes Martin..........30 years ago......pins & needles on right side of face....progressed to right arm......scarey....

Cat scan........ couldn't find anything........traditional western medicine didn't appear to work........Chinese trained surgeon & sessions of  acupuncture ...at first it was an instant relief....but then provided progressively less relief with each session

MRI....[very noisy in those days] confirmed compression of spinal nerves between C2 & C3....my Neurosurgeon said don't worry........when the pins & needles occur.....just take a minute & lower your chin to your breast bone.....guess what............pins & needles go away literally instantly...western technology & an Irish born & trained Neurosurgeon   :-)) ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2013, 02:33:26 am »

I am currently having Physiotherapy for a trapped nerve in my neck that is affecting my left hand.  I am still not sure if it is working but you could try it.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2013, 03:01:57 am »

That reminds me....... >>:-( I also went to sports Physiotherapy for my issue 30 years ago  >>:-(

The jerk tried stretching my body by restraining the upper torso & subjecting my feet to massive counterweights  %%

When that didn't work....the same jerk tried twisting my neck in a rotational motion...... >:-o

He then asked...."how does that feel"....my response was when I twist my head it feels like sand in an 8"diameter ball bearing <:(!

I personally would not recommend such medico type procedures........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2013, 06:09:19 am »

My advice Martin is to get the best doctor you can & get it fixed NOW. Four years ago I fell off a ladder on to my left shoulder. After much coming and going because of the pain I had an MRI done, it showed 4 torn tendons in my left shoulder. They refused to operate because of my age, my doctor said that they were using that as an excuse to cut healthcare costs, in the end I gave up. Big mistake, now because of the damage the vertebrae in my neck are causing me so much pain that I am on very strong pain killers every four hours & my doctor tells me it will just get worse. My only hope is to save enough money to go to the U.S. to have it fixed at my own expense. My advice Martin is don't waste another day, get it fixed now. Mick B.     
Mick B.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2013, 09:27:14 am »

That reminds me....... >>:-( I also went to sports Physiotherapy for my issue 30 years ago  >>:-(
The jerk tried stretching my body by restraining the upper torso & subjecting my feet to massive counterweights  %%
When that didn't work....the same jerk tried twisting my neck in a rotational motion...... >:-o
He then asked...."how does that feel"....my response was when I twist my head it feels like sand in an 8"diameter ball bearing <:(!
I personally would not recommend such medico type procedures........Derek

Sounds more like a chiropractor.   They can be vicious.  <:(

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:23 am »

Had a trapped nerve in my shoulder for years. Which gave me pins and needles in the arm and hand  It was caused by changing beds sussed it out that the mattress was harder than the old one. Tried everything but time was the cure. Try your local gym and see one of the coaches there. A trapped nerve is different from  a pulled muscle.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:09 am »

Ref. acupuncture, my physio was NHS but also a well respected sports physio. The acupuncture was on NHS. When she asked me if I would consider acupuncture I was, as I said before, very sceptical but I asked her to explain how it worked. She first explained the eastern reasoning about the yin and the yang and the west wind and the four horsemen and all that tosh. Then she explained the western view of it all. Briefly, by putting needles into three connected neural centers conned the body's systems into believing it had suffer a massive wound. It is believed that when this occurs the body shuts down or slows all non-essentials and goes into protect and repair mode, massively reducing repair and healing times. I thought this made some sense and was more convincing than the eastern view. I asked if there was any reason not to try it and she said the worst that could happen would be that it might not work. So I gave it a go. In the earlier post I may have given the impression that the effect was short lived. On the contrary, the initial effect of apparent drunkenness reduced after each treatment but the final effect was completely successful.
As regards the exercises afterwards, they were, as Derek said, standing with my back against the wall, putting my chin on my chest, then pushing the back of my head on the wall, hold for 8 seconds then relax. Repeat 20 times. Do this 3 times per day. I am now completely free of any pain in my arm caused by ruptured disc pressing on spinal cord. So, for me, acupuncture worked. There is a very good book, written by an ex New Zeeland SAS man, called "Treat Your Own Back" that recommends the same exercise. All this said, it's dangerous to do anything without a CORRECT initial diagnosis. Best of luck.
Jerry. 

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2013, 11:18:42 am »

Mick B, I sympathise with you. My brother works for a well known oil company. He was stationed in Calgary when his wife got several slipped discs in her lower back. She suffered terribly. There was no treatment available for her under the Canadian system. His health package precluded him going to the US for treatment and was too costly for them to pay for themselves so they came to UK for diagnosis then had the op in Dubai. It was largely successful.
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2013, 12:36:38 pm »

Thanks Jerry, useful input.
 Session booked for tomorrow....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: November 21, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »

Ref Acupuncture
After years of pain for elbow repetitive strain damage (and every NHS procedure) they finally offered acupuncture. I had no faith in it but it worked a treat. Now I only have to remember not to overdo it on the left. Very successful and didn't hurt. A year passed and I needed a top up course but for the last ten years I have not had to go back.  :}

I have asked about treatment for the constant noise in my ears but they said only a divorce could stop it.  <:(

Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »

{-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »

Had a leaflet through the door advertising hearing
aid that knows when you are watching TV and
adjusts accordingly.
I have emailed them to see if they have one that
adjusts downwards when SWIMBO is talking

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

plug

« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:07 pm »

or better still turns off
regards Jack.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:48 am »

:D & Jerry says......."As regards the exercises afterwards, they were, as Derek said, standing with my back against the wall, putting my chin on my chest"

Interesting Jerry.....my Irish Dr O'Malley asked.....did you ever fall out of your cot as a baby?....I simply said..."Peter I don't remember but I will ask my mum"  :embarrassed:

Its so simple when we think about it......chin on chest extends the nerve fibre arc of the spine at neck level :-)) ....I am also completely free of pins & needles in my face & arm......

Being so impressed with Peter O'Malley...I took him a bottle of cheap Irish whiskey  %) on my next check up a month later ....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2013, 10:07:47 am »

As a side issue, what's your personal favourite way of cheering yourself up?

I have a few:
The Big Bang Theory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhUFqzCIkSE
An Audience with Billy Connolly.
Enchanted (film)
Not the nine o'clock news.

What yours?

Stavros

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2013, 10:21:23 am »

Sitting and admiring our little marvel  O0 O0

Dave

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2013, 11:38:29 am »

Knowing that each day when I wake up I'm nearer to a free television licence not that there is much worth watching and also at the moment only just over a week to go before Mobile Marine models open day may get a cup of tea out of Martin if he finds his way there
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »

Hey Younger! long time no post! How you doing?

Won't be able to make it to MMM, can't drive that at the moment.
 Make sure you don't blow up your car either!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »

Knowing that each day when I wake up I'm nearer to a free television licence

And that will be the year they scrap it  :}

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2013, 01:46:39 pm »

Matin- Google rotator cuff injury, does this sound like what you have?

I had shoulder problems for five years gradually getting worse over time, then in 2010 after many cortisone injections at the orthopaedic clinic at the hospital, the consultant offered surgery. This was done as a day case patient. After surgery I was given what they call an anaesthetic block, basically they numb the entire shoulder chest area it was great no pain! Then two days later as the anaesthetic wore off it was absolute murder, reduced me to tears for days- a grown man crying in pain! However now I am pain free totally in that shoulder and have full use of the arm again.

It took about 12 months to get full strength back with the help of physio but I had to change to a desk job until I took early retirement a couple months back. My problem now is that it has begun in the other shoulder, have trouble lifting my arm above shoulder level, go to lift things with your arm extended and it doesn't work, you just can't lift anything. I'm not opting for surgery yet, I want to go as long as possible before I have to do that again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.