Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a suitable first model  (Read 4115 times)

ruffair

Is this a suitable first model
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:07:23 pm »

Hi all

I've been thinking about building my first boat.  As I can't afford most of the kits on offer I was looking at Mobile Marines "Gribbin Head" and buying it bit by bit.  Is the Gribbin Head" a suitable choice?  I have done some modelling before but never a powered boat.

I guess the alternative would be to shelve my plans for a tug and buy something like Slipways Range Safety boat.  Build this for the experience and the do the tug.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Is this a suitable first model
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:39 pm »

If you are able to buy your kit 'bit by bit' then have you looked at the Fleetscale and Sirmar range? All their kits can be built by buying the parts on an as needed basis. Admittedly all these kits have a naval theme but some include tugs used on active service as it were.

HTH.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 05:11:45 pm »

ruffair,
It looks like it should work as well as anything for a 'first model'.  Any kit is going to be a bit intimidating as the "1st".  Just how easy it is to build depends on your building abilities and 'learning rate' (you will always be learning, if not what to do, then what NOT to do next time - lol).
Not being one of the local 'rich', I certainly understand the buy it in stages thing!  That also assumes that you know at least a little bit about building.  I like to have everything (yeah, sure) on hand before I start a build, I tend to make less mistakes that way (another, "yeah, sure!').  Also don't have to wait for the next batch of stuff to get here.  "Waiting" is not exactly my best ability.
In a nut-shell, if you like the looks of this boat, can afford it, and want to build it, do so.  Some things are more 'fun' than others but it's all fun...
 - 'Doc

ruffair

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:51:22 pm »

Thanks for your advice guys.  I liked the Gribbin Head because we were both built on the Clyde at around the same time.  It's just going to be a long term project.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:32 pm »

Ruffair,

If you want to sail as well as build, I would recommend a small kit or scratch build to start as this will get you on the water while you complete your bigger project. I found this to be a good way of starting out and not getting too dispirited with the time taken on the major build.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:26:29 pm »

Mind you the Slipways Range Safety Craft builds into a fine seaworthy model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 09:06:08 pm »

Yep, Slipway are good kits with very good build instructions. I'd say there were a number of kits in their range which can be tackled by beginners althought the Range Safety boat isnt my bag!

ruffair

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 09:52:46 am »

Well, Gribben Head is on order.  Another question though.  Is the standard drive good enough for tug competitions or should I add a kort?

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:09:11 pm »

Don't know all the history but I seem to remember that Kort nozzles were a product of a man who's task was to slow bank erosion by motor barges....this he did by cowling the prop in a band thus preventing side wash, as a accidental result of this the effective horse power was increased. This is the theory and in practice the Kort nozzle has been modified to virtual perfection on most modern vessels especially tugs. So what I am saying is....YES a kort nozzel vastly improves your tugs performance as does using the biggest motor prop combination and the best props. ( I use MMM for Kort nozz's and Prop shop for props)
Good luck
Pirate

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 10:50:55 am »

But to get the full effect of a Kort Nozzle, you will need  the correct prop, which is close fitting inside the Kort.
Prop Shop do some good Kort Props and you can get a Kort and prop from Scoonies.
Bit of a pig to fit though, but well worth it.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 05:40:16 pm »

For towing competitions, the standard motors are almost never 'enough'.  There are exceptions to that, mainly depending on the 'rules', but not many.  At this point, I think the 'best' advice would be to get some experience, then think about competing.  After setting up a tug for competition the biggest problem is then keeping your 'foot' off the gas (thumb off the stick, whatever).  Not to mention strengthening the hull, bollards and all that other stuff...
 - 'Doc

boatmanic942

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.newquaymodelboatclub.org.uk
    • my club site
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 07:25:39 pm »

i had my first model tug for 2weeks and entered a towing comp and came 2nd
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.