The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Is this a suitable first model

(1/3) > >>

ruffair:
Hi all

I've been thinking about building my first boat.  As I can't afford most of the kits on offer I was looking at Mobile Marines "Gribbin Head" and buying it bit by bit.  Is the Gribbin Head" a suitable choice?  I have done some modelling before but never a powered boat.

I guess the alternative would be to shelve my plans for a tug and buy something like Slipways Range Safety boat.  Build this for the experience and the do the tug.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

justboatonic:
If you are able to buy your kit 'bit by bit' then have you looked at the Fleetscale and Sirmar range? All their kits can be built by buying the parts on an as needed basis. Admittedly all these kits have a naval theme but some include tugs used on active service as it were.

HTH.

Doc:
ruffair,
It looks like it should work as well as anything for a 'first model'.  Any kit is going to be a bit intimidating as the "1st".  Just how easy it is to build depends on your building abilities and 'learning rate' (you will always be learning, if not what to do, then what NOT to do next time - lol).
Not being one of the local 'rich', I certainly understand the buy it in stages thing!  That also assumes that you know at least a little bit about building.  I like to have everything (yeah, sure) on hand before I start a build, I tend to make less mistakes that way (another, "yeah, sure!').  Also don't have to wait for the next batch of stuff to get here.  "Waiting" is not exactly my best ability.
In a nut-shell, if you like the looks of this boat, can afford it, and want to build it, do so.  Some things are more 'fun' than others but it's all fun...
 - 'Doc

ruffair:
Thanks for your advice guys.  I liked the Gribbin Head because we were both built on the Clyde at around the same time.  It's just going to be a long term project.

dougal99:
Ruffair,

If you want to sail as well as build, I would recommend a small kit or scratch build to start as this will get you on the water while you complete your bigger project. I found this to be a good way of starting out and not getting too dispirited with the time taken on the major build.

HTH

Doug

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version