Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New T.I.D. Tug build.  (Read 11658 times)

TailUK

New T.I.D. Tug build.
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:32:10 am »

When i joined up here I decided to start with a paddle steamer because I had a suitable mould for a GRP hull.  I've had to sideline that model for various reasons so began to look for an alternative model that wouldn't take too long.  I got interested in T.I.D. Tugs after reading about the Mulberry Harbour used after the D Day landings and chance encounter with Bronchurch at Penketh Marina in Warrington during the summer had put small tugs on my Radar.  So here is the start of the build.....

I made enquiries on and off list about hulls  and it seems that the 1:20, 1:24 and 1:32 scale sizes are most common, being awkward I decided to build to 1:35 scale.  The reasoning behind this was that a lot of new crew figures are available in plastic and standard military accessories are common in this scale.  In this scale the size comes out at 557 mm, a handy size for the pool at work.

I found a GA drawing and a enough info on sections to draw up a set of lines so I made a start with 4mm plywood frames and a aero-ply keel plate.

TailUK

Re: New T.I.D. Tug build.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »

I intend to double skin the hull so I added the sub-deck with a cutout to help stiffen the framework and then the side plating.  This is as far as I can go with the skinning until I've fitted the prop tube but with the keel plate and the side plates in place I took the opportunity to make the template for the bilge plating.  Against all the odds the template fits fairly well on both sides.
I was suprised how well the 1.2 mm Aero-ply pulled around.  The second layer will be of 0.7mm ply laid over so that joints are staggered.

MikeA

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:36:07 pm »

are you working from your own plans then?

TailUK

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:12:26 am »

are you working from your own plans then?

I'm working from drawings I found on the interweb-thingy.  A fairly good general assembly drawing, an excellent cross section and a poor lines diagram, all in the public domain.

I re-drew them in a package called Designer 9 and enlarged them to 1:35th scale.

TailUK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:44 pm »

Do you ever get that thing where you know something wrong but can't put your finger on it?  Like, you're half way to work and you can't remember if you locked the back door or you've just got into bed and think that you've left the telly on. 
I was looking at the TID and at the drawings and the info I've found on the internet and something was bothering me so I went over the figures again;  I'd built it too short!!!! >>:-(
35mm too short to be precise.  I'm splicing the extra into the hull and I'm in the process of fitting a 6" prop tube at the moment.
The next big question will be what size motor and the group opinions will be of value.  A tug needs to move with a purposful look and refrain from getting "up on the plane" so not a big motor.  The prop I have is about 30 mm 4 blade and (when altered) the hull will be a shade under 600mm so I was thinking about something like a MFA Rocket 500 Motor or a Vision500
Any Comments.

TailUK

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »

Here's the hull with the splices in place and the prop tube fitted.  I've also fitted the starboard bilge plating.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:25:45 pm »

Looking good!
  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »

I intend to double skin the hull so I added the sub-deck with a cutout to help stiffen the framework and then the side plating.  This is as far as I can go with the skinning until I've fitted the prop tube but with the keel plate and the side plates in place I took the opportunity to make the template for the bilge plating.  Against all the odds the template fits fairly well on both sides.
I was suprised how well the 1.2 mm Aero-ply pulled around.  The second layer will be of 0.7mm ply laid over so that joints are staggered.

Are you going to fiberglass the hull? If you do that it would be quite strong enough with the would covering you have.

John

TailUK

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:02 pm »

Are you going to fiberglass the hull? If you do that it would be quite strong enough with the would covering you have.

John

I have access to Polyester resin as well as Polyurethane, so one or the other depnding how well the skinning goes.  I've also considered Aluminium foil tape and a couple of coats of sealer and paint, not necessarily in that order.  I'll have to make a decision soon as I'm mad keen to see it in the water.

tugnut

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:50 pm »

Thats realy taking shape O0 i am just rebuilding my old tid.
Keep pictures coming .

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »

Hello, our club members have built about ten of these tugs, all with geared motors, all perform very well. Nemesis

TailUK

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »

I've started the second layer of ply.  This is thinner than the first and should give about 2mm thickness overall.  The idea is to cover all the joints of the first layer to reinforce and seal them.
Starting at the bow, this first wrap around piece bonds the sides and helps give the typical TID "bullnose" look.

TailUK

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »

Time for the static test tank!

I've finished the second skin and was keen to see if the TID was watertight.  I'd given the ply several coats of sealer.

I tried 4 x 500 gram weights but because they wouldn't fit in the hull I had to balance them at deck level which of course rolled the model.  However when I tried a 5 lb weight low down she floated nicely if a little low in the water

I now have an estimate of about 2 kilos (4.4 lbs) to bring her to the waterline.  I think thats do-able.

tiny69

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »

Nice to see another TID being built,  I have been building one for some years now, using a Kingston Mouldings hull at 1:24 scale and fitted with a Cheddar model puffin steam plant.

Tiny

tugnut

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »

That is one nice model Tiny  O0.

TailUK

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:28 am »

Nice one, Tiny!  I looked at the Kingston hull myself but I was after a smaller model, still, it looks pretty good.  Have you had it on the water yet?

joeb

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

I'm working from drawings I found on the interweb-thingy.  A fairly good general assembly drawing, an excellent cross section and a poor lines diagram, all in the public domain.

Would it be possible for you to post a link to where these drawing can be downloaded?

Thanks

TailUK

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »

Have a look at

http://www.steamtugbrent.org/technical-details.html

If you click on the tabs "Details" and "History of the TID"  you'll find slightly better quality version of those pics.

The ones I posted here are the full size of the ones I'm working from.

tiny69

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »

Nice one, Tiny!  I looked at the Kingston hull myself but I was after a smaller model, still, it looks pretty good.  Have you had it on the water yet?

No I haven't yet.  I am hoping to get it all finished very soon so I can test it out on the water.

Tiny
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.