Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: copper brake pipe for water cooling?  (Read 11355 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: copper brake pipe for water cooling?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:48 pm »

Aluminium has the same sort of specific heat capacity as copper. Would this not be a useful alternative, if required?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Patternmaker

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »

Bundy is steel pipe with a copper coating on its internal and external surface To give some extra  protection

Kunifer a brand name for brake pipe is formed from a 90% copper 10% nickel alloy (known as 90/10)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:07 pm »

Haven't we got a bit off topic.
The original question was about copper brake pipe being used for cooling on a model boat motor.
Any metal pipe will be useable as the thermal transfer rate will still be fairly good.
If the pipe is a good tight fit to the motor does it really matter if it is copper, steel or an alloy.
The simple answer is YES it will be fine as long as you have enough turns and cold water passing through.
At a max pressure of about 1/2 Bar or 7psi after the tube gets a bit furred up (if it does).

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »

Party's over  <:(
Ah well it was good while it lasted O0 O0
Stil some gems in there just need to find them. :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 12:02:40 am »

I use the aluminium tubing that most model shops sell, crimp one end fill with salt and nice easy tight bends, works beautifully.

I agree make sure you bend it round something of a smaller diameter

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 05:35:36 am »

Hi all,copper pipe cant be used for brake pipe, it work hardens,it must be annealed after two years of use or it will crack/fracture. It is illegal to use as brake pipe in North America , I would suspect the law is the same in the U/K. What we do use is a special galvanized pipe that has a copper lining to prevent internal corrosion,  I make new pipes most every day from this pipe for vintage jags,MG,s & triumphs. The tool we use for flaring the pipe ends is a Picavant tool from U/K it is high quality but expensive,it has dies to fit all the different flare pipe diameters, it is for sale on their web site. Now it will be O/K to use as a cooling jacket on a electric motor.pack it with sand & wrap it around something slightly smaller than the motor, it will do the job no problem. Mick B.
Mick B.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:12 pm »

Hi all,copper pipe cant be used for brake pipe, it work hardens,it must be annealed after two years of use or it will crack/fracture. It is illegal to use as brake pipe in North America , I would suspect the law is the same in the U/K. What we do use is a special galvanized pipe that has a copper lining to prevent internal corrosion,  I make new pipes most every day from this pipe for vintage jags,MG,s & triumphs. The tool we use for flaring the pipe ends is a Picavant tool from U/K it is high quality but expensive,it has dies to fit all the different flare pipe diameters, it is for sale on their web site. Now it will be O/K to use as a cooling jacket on a electric motor.pack it with sand & wrap it around something slightly smaller than the motor, it will do the job no problem. Mick B.

Nope copper pipe perfectly legal in the UK, I've done loads & never had a problem. The burst level is way above what brake line  pressure will get to. Automec in the UK make brake kits with copper as well as copper/nickel pipes. http://www.mamut.net/automec/subdet11.htm I've used there brass unions & silicone brake fluid on various cars. Great because  no rust....
I have two flaring tools a Picavant one & a cheapy pliers kit, bith do the job.
Jim

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »

Hi, TR7V8 while I would agree with you that the copper pipe can take the brake fluid pressure,the reason copper is banned in brake pipes is because it work hardens in a very short period of time( 2 to 3 years) & would have to be annealed at that time to prevent the possibility of fracture. We are not allowed to use the pipe you listed though we of course can buy it direct from U/K. Using it is quite another matter & I for one will not use a copper product as it does not meet our safety standards. Can you imagine telling your customer that every 2 to 3 years he/she must have the brake pipes removed & annealed to maintain their safety margin ??.The brass fittings we do use & they are not a problem, different application, they are in a fixed position & are not prone to vibration. Mick B.
Mick B.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 07:08:25 pm »

Hope you all have Mot Certs for your boats
I anneal mine every year
After a warm summer sailing they are launched into cooler water come January  %% %% %%

Ned

PS my boats don't have brakes  :-))

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »

Good grief....... i do hope no one ever asks a technical  question  ;)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 07:57:37 am »

Someone will , always do just wait for it I think I got off topic. The copper pipe will work well for a cooling jacket. Mick B.
Mick B.

phillnjack

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 03:47:38 pm »

yep any motor shop will sell you copper brake pipe if you ask for it.
you can even buy brass , but it wont pass mot for some daft reason...
If you already have some brilliant, use it and it will work.

Now even if the pipe that some people sell is copper, or alloy or steel it will still work.

you dont need any particular brand,type or precious metal, anything that wont melt is gonna work.

the more coild the better some say ? but leave a small space and youl get even cooling !!!!!!

the more water that passes through it fast, then obviously the better.

phill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.