Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dive plane construction  (Read 2218 times)

g4yvm

Dive plane construction
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:17 am »

Quick question, quick answers.

Thos of you with c1/40th scale subs, Type vii especially, what are your forward dive planes made of?   The fixed supports?  How are your fixed supports bonded to the hull?

Tell you why I ask, I have a lovely set of plastic supports and planes which I could use or I could laboriously cut them again from brass.  I just cant see why.   Its a long argument re frangible supports vs hull damage etc etc etc. 

Thanks.

D

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Dive plane construction
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:47 am »

Use what works for you. Some people use plastic, some use composites, others use metal. Some even use wood, although that's not so common.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »

My Type VII has brass plate supports ( which flex up and down as the planes move! Must fix that..) and plywood planes laminated over a brass core. If I was using the nice plastic ones, I would pre-drill to take, say, a 2 to 3mm brass or stainless shaft into them, leaving a stub of about 6mm sticking out,  spot glue that into the plastic parts with cyano, then epoxy or Fusion or Plastic Welder or Stablit them to the pre-roughened hull. I am now wondering why I am using my type at all!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

g4yvm

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »

Thanks guys.

Im using plastic supports and planes.  Actually resin planes.  The planes have a hollow shaft through them which slides over a metal shaft running athwartships from plane to plane.  The driven horn will sit on the shaft inside the casing.  The extremities of the shaft will sit into bushed bearings in the support arms.

I'll post a picture or three later.

David

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »

Hello, the bow dive planes on my new gato are made of aluminium sheet, layed with car body mesh then filled with epoxy resin, the outers were held together with masking tape ( which does not stick to the epoxy on the sticky side) left to cure, tape peeled away then clean them up!

Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club
Association Of Model Submariners
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 23 queries.