Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix HMS Victorious  (Read 3956 times)

deadbeat

Airfix HMS Victorious
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:33:16 pm »

Here is my second attempt at building a waterline model on a sea. I use cheap Airfix kits for the purpose just to practice the skills needed for creating seas. This is HMS Victorious at 1/600 scale, modelling at these scales brings different challenges to my normal 1/96 scales. This model I will offer to a childrens’ hospice charity shop for sale; I have no space to keep it. My first attempt was HMS Devonshire at 1/600, pictures also on this site. I wanted to portray Vic at speed and flying off a Sea Vixen. The kit is enhanced by White Ensign Models Photo Etch parts; the mast for instance comprises 25 different parts. My next project is two Trumpeter Tribal Class destroyers at 1/700 scale, these I will portray at speed, possibly in action, or in a storm I haven’t made my mind up yet. I’m also interested in doing the Titanic at 1/1250 scale bow down as she slowly sinks.

sir kay

Re: Airfix HMS Victorious
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »

I really like the sea and wake, with the old Airfix Victorious looking much better than I remember seeing her almost 50 years ago (both as my model, and on her way to Faslane to be scrapped).  Wakes are very hard to get right, with many a superb model rather let down by the wake on the display.  Not so here though, with a very "right" looking wake.

deadbeat

Re: Airfix HMS Victorious
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:42 pm »

Thank you for your comments, I remember as an apprentice in Portsmouth Dockyard going over her after the fire; she was a ghost ship by then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.