Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats  (Read 43127 times)

bikerdude666

Re: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:48 pm »

Just wanted to say, I've seen this model (he brought it to a club meet so I could see it), it's incredibly light, and the pictures certainly don't do it justice.

Chuffy

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »

Wait till you see the motors 666, be very afraid.

Paul.

bikerdude666

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »

After a chat about his other models last night, I'm not sure I'll be putting anything of mine on the lake at the same time as anything of his!!!

Look forward to seeing the finished model though, really like the hull lines.

raflaunches

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

Wait till you see the motors 666, be very afraid.

Paul.

Woo ha ha ha!  :}

Our newly discovered stock pile of hardly used 12v car heater motors are now being used in this model and if you think that will be fast you should see what the next planned model will be, it will make 40knots look like James May driving around the top gear track!

The only clue I will give you is the first boat to breach the ton barrier on salt water and will use a very special gearbox!

Regards

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »

Hi everyone

Hopefully I can upload some pictures soon once our broadband has been reconnected, for the moment I am having to use my iPad which does not like putting pictures on the mayhem forum.

Anyway, my Dad has fully skinned in the deck area and filed up the hull to shape. He has started to add the spray rail and strengthening plates along the hull.  Additionally he has built in the bollards into the hull so they can actually be used for their task.
He aims to bring the hull to the mayhem in June for everyone to see.
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:21 am »

Hi, This link may be useful and could be newsreel footage of your coastal mtb.  :-)

www.britishpathe.com/video/launch-of-latest-motor-torpedo-boat-at-hampton-on

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:59 pm »

Hi Everyone

First of all thank you to perkasman for the new reel footage of a CMB being launched on the Thames.  The vessel is similar in shape and style but was built for the Philippian navy in 1939.  Has some excellent imagery of some of the common fittings that were fitted to both vessels.

Secondly after a lot of swearing at the computer  >:-o I have managed to upload some pictures for everyone to enjoy.
My Dad has completed the deck area and has moved on to the engine hatch which is the main way in to the model hull for battery changes, etc...  as can be seen in the pictures it fits beautifully and surprised me how it finishes the hull off!
Both strengthening strips have been glued to the hull sides and all the spray/kick rails have attached to the hull too.  These were made from soft wood strip and using a diamond miniature file he has filed out the water drain holes.
The forward hatch will be used for the r/c and motor switches so it should be well away from any water spray!
The superstructure has been started (sorry no pics yet) but will now be glued permanently to the hull since everything can be reached through the engine hatch.

Regards

Nick B

(still, on the behalf of Steve Brown!)
Nick B

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 03:40:47 am »

Looking great  :-))

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 04:00:42 pm »

Thanks Mark  :-))

My dad has worked hard to build this model since hardly any info or pictures exist and I am absolutely amazed at the results so far.
He is currently building the rudders, rudder posts and linkage gear from brass sheet and rod, so I am expecting a few swear words soon when he burns himself (again) picking up the hot brass after soldering it :-X

I'll upload the pictures soon of the rudders once he has finished them.

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 04:21:02 pm »

Hi Everyone

After weeks of promising that he would start on the rudders I have uploaded these pictures of, in my opinion, the best rudders I have seen on a model boat.  Last Saturday he decided like me to bite the bullet and start on the most difficult part of the boat and cut out the rudder shapes using 1.5mm brass sheet. Using his ancient airframe rigger skills from the 1960s he created the rudders, their brackets, the pivots, and the propshaft support tubes.  After soldering the brass together he did his usual tradition of trying to pick up the brass and burning his fingers :} again!

He has screwed them to the transom in preparation for the props, due to be removed from our Thornycroft 62ft Fast Motor Boat to then to be fitted to the CMB in the near future.  We will have to spend some money now on some new props for the FMB! <:(
Best regards

Nick B
Nick B

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:10 am »

Beautiful work  :-)).

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »

Thanks Mark W

Hopefully the rudders will be strong enough for anything the water can throw at them!
I am really looking forward to seeing it on the water. :-))
Best regards

Nick B
Nick B

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:28 pm »

Lovely piece of kit there. looking forward to the next update.

Colin
grumpy old XXX

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 10:20:40 am »

Hi everyone

After all the suffering, head rubbing and nightmares, my dad has built the steering gear to allow the rudders to work properly. The original boat had a wheel to move the push rod in an arc but my dad decided against that as it could be too impractical especially to keep the water out (the waterline is just below the steering arm position!)
He has constructed from 1.5mm brass sheet a sealed box to prevent water ingress, then drilled and inserted a brass 4mm rod which is soldered to the steering arm. Inside the hull the rod passes through the upper part of the box and is free to rotate, to this he modified a meccano collet to act as the adjustable steering arm to the servo. He will make a plate to fit over the box to seal it in to the transom. At the Coalville show a few weeks back he bought some servo steering arms and rods which actually fit the brass steering arm and the rudder brackets, however can you spot the obvious mistake on the right rudder? It took him a little while to solder the bracket on then realised that it should be on the other side! :embarrassed:
Thanks to Colin Stevens, hope this whets your appetite.

More picture to come soon.
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 11:12:24 am »

Watching with interest as I am planning/hoping to do the Russian G5 which is very similiar. Are working torpedoes planned? And if so do you know how they were launched? I know that they are pushed of the back, but did they sit on some kind of "pram" to help them go?

Colin
grumpy old XXX

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16:28 am »

just found this link, http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=60260
hope its of use

colin
grumpy old XXX

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 02:20:48 pm »

Hi Colin

Thank you for the link, it is very helpful in the detailing of the hull fittings and rudders etc.
The torpedoes are solid and will act as ballast on this model, there are some manufacturers who do make some working torpedoes but they can be quite expensive.
The torpedoes were launched by a cordite charge being ignited which in turn pushed a ram against the torpedo head which pushed it overboard. From the plan by John Lambert it appears that the torpedoes sat in a square trough but there were no runners or pram to assist the torpedo launch.
Hope this helps.

Nick B
Nick B

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »

Sounds like a risky business!!! stuff that.

I saw  a model in a smaller scale ages ago that did actuals launch the torpedoes of the back. It was impressive but never did find out the mechanics of the system or the torpedoes.
Colin
grumpy old XXX

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »

Hi everyone

My dad has completed the prop shaft supports both intermediates and rudder supports. We have removed the props off the Thornycroft 62ft FMB and temp fitted them to the CMB shafts, he discovered that the threaded section on the shafts needs extending by 1/2inch to ensure that the shafts sit in the rear/rudder support bracket. Today he has completed the display stand so expect to see the model on display at the Mayhem weekend at wicksteed park.

Colin-stevens, I also this model at the Doncaster show last year, but I think if memory serves that the torpedoes were launched off the stern and dragged along by nylon cord behind the model, the owner saying that he did not stop suddenly or the cord would wrap around the props!
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 08:10:19 pm »

Hi everyone

It has been a little while since I have updated for my dad, what he has done in the last month is filed the hull and sanded smooth followed by its first layer of grey paint. All the sky lights have been filed out using a reamer and all the rudder/prop shaft supports are painted black.
He has managed to get the rudder linkage to work, just, and he has at last built a stand for it. More pictures to come showing the rudders, etc...

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

Hi everyone

Some more pictures so far...

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:29 pm »

Hi everyone

The paint is on and the waterline was marked on Friday and on Saturday the wiring up of the speed controllers (x2 Electronize FR30) and the receiver was completed quickly. It was during the last few hours last night that the torpedo trough was built and trial fitted.  With all electronics fitted we decided it was time the servo was connected up to the rudder linkage, with finger nails disappearing quickly I operated the tx stick left and right and to our amazement it didn't fall apart or snap into a thousand little pieces! So we ventured even further into the unknown and connected up the main battery (SLA 12V 7amp/hr) and turned it on, no bangs or smoke so we knew everything was the right way round  :-)).
With all pre start up checks carried out my dad watched as I pushed the throttles open for the first time...
perfection, no problems as such just a bit of lubricating oil on the bearings and the props spun without any problems.
So the big day arrived and the car was packed with the boat, radio gear and the back up tool kit- just incase ok2
The torpedoes were tied on place in the newly built trough and we switched on at 1030hrs at Wicksteed Park with dread and doubt (well I did!) as I powered up hoping to the model boat god that she would plane on her step. Conducting the rudder checks the boat responded well to rudder movements, I was happier knowing at least it could turn, I applied more power and turned her around for the first power run along the 90m long boat lake. Watching and hoping the CMB picked up speed very fast and a strange wake pattern emerged for the first quarter of the run and then suddenly it sounded like the props were cavitating!?! before the bow rose out of the water and she climbed up on the step!
Running her back and forwards along the lake we discovered that she did not respond very well at speed to rudder movements to port and Dad remembered that the props rotated in the same direction so a bit of trim was added and off she went for an hour.
Needless to say Dad is ecstatic that the hull works and has decided that he will try building a spare set of rudders that are thicker and bigger to ensure that she turns at speed. All that is left is to finish the model... come on dad its not that difficult to build superstructures!

Regards

Nick B
(also on the behalf of a very happy Steve Brown!)
Nick B

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »

Looking good. Can you get a handed prop, then the motors can turn in opposite directions (Swap + & - ) , that will help non end with turning the boat.
grumpy old XXX

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 06:50:45 pm »

hi ya thereNick

your Dad cant half build a cracking model - it looks swell on the water!   Just a thought, has your dad thought of fitting a mixer - such as the ACTion P40 between the Rx and speed controllers?      This, he would find, would do wonders for the turning of the model.   It would also enable one to work both motors off one throttle stick.    I have the RTTL set up similarly where both props rotate in the same direction - and what your dad will find for you or whoever is operating the model - the boat will always kick out to one side usually the opposite way to the props turning & its exaggerated even more when you turn the model into the same direction as the props are turning.   The model normally comes off the plain quick and you tend to get the bow diving into the water.

Boat looks really nice.

aye john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:25 pm »

Looking great both on and off the water  :-))

Its probably the camera angle but it looks like the servo arm and tiller are not parallel. If this is the case could this be affecting the rudder movement.

Could you not turn the servo around and provide a straight push/pull?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.