Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats  (Read 43122 times)

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
Re: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:24 pm »

Love it  :-)). Please get your dad to finish it.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

Hi everyone

I have passed all the comments on to my Dad and he is still very ecstatic with the boat and the positive comments.
To answer the ideas so far:

My Dad is currently looking through and in contact with Prop Shop to ask/beg if he can get an opposite handed prop or a set that are close to the current one but running opposite to each other.

We have not considered a Mixer Unit because we use a Robbe F14 Navy twin stick transmitter so we have separate control over each motor on every model we have ever built has used this system but is is worth considering a mixer unit in the near future.

The tiller arm is not parallel to the steering arm because we found, very strangely, that if it was straight the rudders lock over and will not move. Dad made the tiller arm adjustable so he could make fine adjustments until the rudders operate smoothly in both directions. We think this has happened because the original vessel had its pivot point further back and was controlled by a wheel whilst we have had to be practical to make the boat work and to stop water pouring through the steering slot on the transom, the pictures in this area are very vague!

Don't worry he has promised to finish it and will hopefully be displayed at the International Model Boat show at Warwick this year.

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »

Hi everyone

This will be the last uploading of pictures for 4 months due to my detachment to the Falklands, but Dad has promised me that he will take plenty of photos for us so when I return I can upload them.
Since the the first maiden run a few weeks back, my Dad is still searching for the ideal props but he has started on the superstructure and steering position. The plan he is using are a bit vague and he has to make certain things fit and be practicable rather than 100% accurate.
He has made the torpedo troughs fit and added two aluminium sheets to the sides to give the extensions a bit more strength. The cockpit is made form 1/32" ply and the supporting structure is made from thin lengths of wood as there are no pictures of the structure internally he has guessed where some of these supports would go, abiding by the common sense law that if looked like should be there it probably should be!

See you all in 4 months, I can still answer any queries from the cold waste lands of the Falklands I just won't be able to upload pictures of the build so please be patient for the next instalment... :-))

Best regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 05:59:05 pm »

Hi everyone

As promised I would keep everybody up to speed with my Dad's little project!
Whiltst the pictures I saw on Facetime were a little grainy he has built the basic structure for the cockpit and is starting to detail the instrument panel and floor area.
He has informed me that he intends to finish the cockpit area upto the point of adding the boats wheel, partially because he has not got one yet (my fault I couldn't find one in time! %)) but since this is his first superstructure that he has done instead of me I think he has done a fantastic job. He has told me that he will display the model in its current build state at the Deans Marine open days in September primarily on the Friday and Saturday before taking it to the Warwick show on November. 
As for me my time in isolation in Falklands enters the third week, could be worse it could be snowing (p.s its snowing! ok2)
Best regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 04:48:10 pm »

Hi everyone

Continuing running commentary, my Dad has painted the cockpit and what little bit of superstructure there is. At the same time he has painted the torpedo troughs too so everything has had a sealing coat to waterproof it.
He has started on the lifting points which attach to the torpedo troughs, he made them from 1mm brass and has had to make four identical units before attaching them into place.
More to come soon!

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 01:11:34 pm »

Hi everyone

Been a little while but I thought I would give an update so far...
The superstructure is almost complete and painted with the traditional grey paint, Dad has made the mast which is made from brass tube and is fixed permanently to the deck.
All the hatches have been constructed and detailed with hinges and locks with all the hand rails firmly glued in. The brass bow piece has also been made from some very thin brass sheet and also glued into place. The torpedo tubes/troughs have been detailed with ribs and stringers and is now almost water-tight! %)
He has started to make the depth charges and their brackets from copper brake pipe which is flattened after the correct shape has been achieved. He bought the copper from the Model Engineer's Show at Warwick on Friday. The model will be on display at the International Model Boat Show at Warwick in three weeks time so if would like to see it come and pester my Dad and I am sure he will enlighten you on how he has struggled with the hull!
Its also his favourite model to run on the lake at the moment...
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »

At last I have managed to nick my Dad's camera so I can upload these pictures for everyone. :-))

Pictures of the cockpit/bridge.

The torpedo clamps being assembled and test fitted with the torpedo. Note that the cockpit has been painted.

The cowl vents being fitted.

The brass bow reinforcing piece.

More pictures to come...
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:08 pm »

Some more pictures as promised...

Detailing of the hatches and engine room cover.

On the water with its superstructure for the first time, note the brass bipod mast.

Detailing the torpedo troughs with 1/32" ply.

The depth charge support bracket. The washer next to it is a 'refuelling' cap.

General detail of the model. The crewman is borrowed from one of our RAF Marine Craft vessels, he is a David Tennent Doctor Who figurine suitably modified to become a RAF corporal!

On display with the Wicksteed Park MBC stand at Warwick.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:17 am »

A couple more pictures from Warwick.

Dad has just completed making the smoke generator which sits on the small platform above the torpedoes. He has also completed the second depth charge bracket after burning his fingers on more than one occasion! :D
The steps and their brackets have been added to the superstructure, with all this detail work it has busied up the rear section of the CMB. And finally he has added the cover plate (max travel plate) over the rudder arm to seal it up and ensure that the rudders can not over travel.
Nick B

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 09:25:30 pm »

looking really good  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »

Excellent build work raflaunches..... :-))

In the image below we see the centralised rudder linkage is just above the [water level] boot topping line, although in an earlier image from 18th December "On the water with its superstructure for the first time, note the brass bipod mast"........we see the vessel stern in the water & apparently the linkage slot is below the water line

How do you keep the water out? ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments, my Dad is doing a fantastic job at the moment soldering the torpedo trough side bracket to a bolt to make it removeable!

Hi Derek

To answer your question I have drawn a diagram to explain how it works and keeps the water out.

The black lines indicate solid brass,
the yellow area is a solid brass rod,
the red line is the seal,
any blue area is solder,
the pinky purple areas are the rudder arms,
and the green dotted line is the slot out of the stern so imagine that the picture is looking forward toward the bows.

My Dad drilled a 4mm hole into the upper and lower brass plate and soldered a brass tube with a internal diameter of 4mm on to the lower plate. The brass tube was sealed with a thin piece of brass which was soldered and filed.
The lower rudder arm was soldered to the 4mm brass rod. Two short lengths of brass box were soldered to the lower brass plate. The upper rudder arm was soldered to a collet to allow for any adjustment when connecting up to the servo. The upper brass plate is clamped on to the brass box section with a silicon seal and held in place with four self tapping screws. The upper rudder arm with the collet is then attached to the the protruding 4mm rod which allows the movement of the lower rudder arm. The entire moving parts are sealed within ' a brass box'. The brass box is pushed into the stern bulkhead and sealed with superglue and more silicon. So no water can leak into the hull because the entire contraption is sealed.
Hope this helps.

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »

Well my Dad has certainly got a move on, I thinks its because of a new project in the near future!
The bipod mast has been fitted out with rope attachment points, mast light, and flag pulleys.
The cockpit is fitted with a steering wheel that is able to rotate (still don't know why he did that! %) ) and the two torpedo push rod tubes have been slid into place on the cockpit floor. The rudder brackets have been attached permanently with flush (or countersunk if you like) bolts. A stern light has been made from a solid aluminium rod filed to shape and a brass rod drilled and glued into the base to pin it to the hull.
My Dad has also rebuilt the torpedo fins to represent the WW2 18 inch versions and ensured that they still fit in the torpedo troughs. The torpedo trough extensions have had their support brackets and rods built from brass 1.5mm rod and 0.5mm sheet with some 0.75mm bolts and nuts.
Some of you may have spotted that a strange cylinder has appeared on the stern sitting over the torpedo troughs. This is the smoke generator constructed from a piece of down pipe with the ends sealed with plastic card and a exhaust constructed from a mushroom vent fitting. At the moment he is building the oiling/lubricating reservoir and tube for the rudder hinge points that the original boats had fitted to the transom.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:00 pm »

Dad has been busy again this weekend by finishing off his rudder hinge lubricating reservoirs and fitting them to the transom above the rudder bracket with a piece of 0.5mm brass rod suitably bent to fit to the bracket. He has also made the blocks for the boat handling 'sticks' with hooks on the fore deck. .
Pictures to come next weekend...
Nick B

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »

Much impressed by your model - one of my favourite subjects. I was re-reading Barnaby's history of Thornycroft, and came across some interesting info about the earlier 55-footers. May or may not apply to your later boat, but interesting enough to share.

The early twin engined boats were fitted with two different models of Thornycoft engines, the V/12 and Y/12, or Green or Sunbeam airship engines. Starting for the Y/12 was by a little auxiliary Thornycroft petrol engine, and for all the others by compressed air. Only one engine was fitted with a starter, the other had to be, effectively, bump started by the propellor once the boat was under way. To save weight there was no gearbox, just a cone clutch on each shaft. This was a crude device, and a heavy hammer was needed to assist in declutching!

I guess a modeller would have fun programming authentic engine sound effects - and remembering not to go astern!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:00 pm »

Hi Jonty

We are very glad that you like the model so far, we didn't know that about the engines but we did find out that they were very flammable often catching fire on start up and there was no reverse. Your info has explained a lot about the engine layout and the lack of the reverse gear.
Dad is sanding up the hull for its final paint of Admiralty grey before the other camouflage colours are added. The pictures which I promised a few weekends ago are coming this weekend, so hopefully a different looking CMB will appear next weekend.

Nick B

On behalf of Steve Brown
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2013, 06:18:30 pm »

Hi everyone

As mentioned earlier this week I am uploading the latest batch of photos for my Dad, the model has been sanded up ready for the final coat of light grey before the camouflage paint work is added. This should turn the monotone grey boat into something special! :-))  Last weekend he made the receiver tray and rx battery tray and clipped all the wires to the bulkheads making a neat and tidy interior.

Hopefully next weekend a fully painted model might appear!

Nick B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:37 pm »

Hi Nick....your Dad is making good progress  :-))
Just a sideline question.....with the real vessels...when they unloaded the two torpedoes....would their stern draft not be effected with possible prop cavitation?....... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:45 am »

Hi Derek

That's a very good question!
On the initial running trials last year before my deployment to the cold south Atlantic we tried various layouts of batteries and with and without the torpedoes. The result without the torpedoes being fitted meant that the CMB could not get up on the step as the stern had raised up.
We think that the real boats had similar problems too but was counteracted by the fuel tanks. From the drawings we can see 6 fuel tanks all situated behind the step to counter balance the weight of the engines which are forward of the step. We think that to keep the weight behind the step to maintain the balance to a certain degree they would have used the fuel in the forward fuel tanks located closest to the step so when they released the torpedoes the weight shift was not huge.
If we run the model without the torpedoes we have to move the battery further back to get the model to raise up onto the step and prevent any possible prop cavitation.
Hope this is of some help, thanks for question, keep them coming, the model will be at the Mayhem at Wicksteed this year so Martin should be able to see it complete!

Nick B
Nick B

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »

A really beautiful model of exceptional craftsmanship. Tonight I came across another Pathe newsreel clip shot on the River Thames in 1939 and the boat appears to have twin rear cradles:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/m-t-b-on-thames-1939/query/air+sea+rescue

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »

Hi Perkasaman

Thanks for the link, they are earlier boats but are very similar in layout especially the cockpit.
My Dad is looking forward to completing the paint work ASAP, he will have plenty of time as he is having his left hand operated on this week to straighten it out, good thing he's right handed!
So watch this space.

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 05:51:47 pm »

Hi Nick, best wishes to your dad for a speedy recovery and return to modelling.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »

Thanks Perkasaman
Dad has lots of plans for the 4-6 weeks he has to have off to allow his hand to heal, so the CMB will be finished soon and a new project is planned! Ironically another stepped hull! %%
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2013, 03:45:24 pm »

Hi everyone

Dad has managed to paint the next layer of camouflage on to the hull sides and deck using my ever dwindling supply of Tamiya masking tape. Even though he has only one working hand at the moment he has managed to achieve a decent finish. P.S he got me to stick the tape to the hull, he's not that brilliant with one hand! %)
He has also painted the anti-slip area in front of the cockpit. The next layer will be the black/very, very dark grey which will painted on the stern area and a small triangular area by the bow.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:17 pm »

Hi everyone

Dad has been very busy in between annoying my mum whilst shopping in Tescos! He has finished the final layer of camouflage which is a very very dark grey painted in two panels either side of the hull.
With his club like hand I have been reliably informed that he has done a good job, and that comes from my Mum! Pictures will come on Friday afternoon when I get back home.
Nick B

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.