Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats  (Read 43123 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: WW2 Coastal Motor Torpedo Boats
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:15 pm »

1. Looking real good Nick?
2. She looks like she needs a nice delicate lace canopy, are you going to make one?    :kiss:
3. How's dad's hand?

Martin  :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 09:34:07 pm »

Hi Martin

Glad that you like the look of her, mum sent me a picture of the finished paint work and it looks brilliant!
Don't think my mum would appreciate making a lace canopy for the boat! {-) {-)
His hand is improving and hopefully the bandage will be cut down this Friday so he can use his hand easier than just using it as a club.
Steve wants to take it for another test run with the new paint this Sunday at Wicksteed Park to see how effective the camouflage was, we think it was there just to break up the outline as the wake pattern of the boat at full speed can be seen for miles!  %%
See you soon
Nick
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

Hi everyone

Been a bit miffed with Tinypic.com not uploading my pictures properly, this is my fifth attempt!
Anyway the boat went for another test run and ran extremely well since I had not been at the helm of her since last July!
The torpedoes have been attached to the troughs with self tapping screws and the paint job is completed with just a few touch ups needed here and there. The model rises up on the step after the spluttering and gurgling stops, suddenly it leaps up and the bows rise majestically and plough through the open air being very careful not to flood anyone's boat also on the water! The wake is immense that it makes the camo scheme rather pointless because you can see it for scale miles!

Nick B

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:02 am »

G/day Nick,
Your dad has a great looking boat.
Gra2

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:17 pm »

Thanks Gra2
Final touches will start to happen in the next few weeks primarily detailing the cockpit.
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

Hi everyone

After last weekend's fun and entertainment at Wicksteed Park lake with the CMB test run number 4, my friend and fellow modeller, Paul Millers, sent me some of the pictures he took of the test. He had the advantage of having a camera that takes mutiple pictures at a click of the shutter so the pictures look like movie stills.
The wake pattern is more clear in the pictures he took, so I thank him for providing these pictures, we were going to sail again this weekend but due to the horrible weather (again!!) and my car making even more horrible noises (rear brakes are starting to bind, thought the wheel bearing was going!!!  >>:-( )
Anyway, this week Dad, AKA Steve, has made his depth charges from a piece of down pipe covered in plastic-card and other bits and pieces, including the torpedoes being painted and the boat numbers have been stuck on. She is now numbered CMB 216. We changed the number from 213 because several other modellers have portrayed this vessel so we like to be different.  :-))
If anyone would like to see it, the model will be displayed at Model Ex which is held at Windmill Avenue Primary School in Raunds, Northamptonshire, on April 6 and 7. Its a local event but there are at least 5 model boat clubs attending from the Northamptonshire area and a mix of railway, meccano and many other model types to be seen, all in the name of charity to help the school out. Last time the organiser, Bob Humpage, thanked everyone for helping to raise over £1500 for repairs for the school roof.

Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2013, 02:48:44 pm »

Hi everybody

Its time for the weekly update on Dad's build which is progressing very well on an almost daily occurance!
This week he has finished building and detailing the two depth charges, they have been detailed with plastic card tube and card and using one of John Lambert's books for reference. He used thin wire and picture frame fittings to hold the depth charge in place.
He has started to detail the smoke generator by creating the brackets from some spares we found and bolted these on to the generator mounting plate. We bought some small brass turnbuckles from Modelling Timbers several years ago and have at last found some use for them. These will tension the wires holding the generator in place.
We found some pictures on the internet of the cockpit or of a similar CMB version and he intends to finalise the cockpit fittings this week. He has pictures of the instrument panel from an earlier CMB which looks very similar but will need to be modified to suit.
He is still looking for a suitable item to modify to become the torpedo caps which are attached to the push rods which launch the torpedoes.
I am looking for a 1/12 scale White Ensign to hang from the flag pole, I'll probably find one at the Coalville Show.
When he is finished he intends to paint the stand too but first he has decided to fit some new brass bushes for the rear-most prop shaft/rudder bracket because of the noise caused by the loose bushes. He has found some new better fitting versions and will fit them next weekend.

The depth charge bracket and depth charge in place.

The smoke generator support and new brackets for the wire and turnbuckles

The boat horn on the bridge superstructure from Modelling Timbers.

The torpedoes- with the torpedoes standing like this we have joked that they look like V2 rockets!  %% {-)

The new pennant number stuck on the hull.

That's it for this week, tune for next Sunday for the continuing final build of the CMB!
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2013, 03:22:29 pm »

Hi everybody

This week Dad has actually started on the cockpit detailing, but first he completed the smoke generator wire support brackets and attachment points.
Using 0.2mm wire from Modelling Timbers he wrapped it around a brass rod 0.5mm in diameter and hooked it around the attachment point on one side. Pulling the wire tight over the generator he made a similar brass hook for the other side and wrapped the wire around it. To keep the wire in place he made two brass retainer clips which hook under both wire straps and positively locates the wires onto the generator.
In the cockpit he has made the throttle levers from soft wood, 1/32" plywood and copper tube which was flattened with a hammer. These side on the cockpit sides. He has also started the two instrument panels which are being constructed from 1/32" plywood with plastic tube of various diameters to represent the warning lights and instrument bevels. However, he is not entirely happy with the main instrument panel and may start again making it from plastic card instead.

Nick B

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2013, 08:29:55 pm »

Hi NickB, the build is looking great. Can you tell me what pair of motors/ batteries/ esc's were fitted? The performance looked excellent from the pics posted.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:30 pm »

Hi Perkasaman

Thanks, he's doing very well so far. The motors are 12v Bosch car heater motors from a VW Polo which cost a fiver each. Each motor has its own speed controller which are Electronize FR30X (30amp) versions.
A single 12v 7amp sealed lead acid battery is used to power the whole model, it lasts about 35-45mins with a few fast runs up and down the lake.
The battery had to sit nearly on top of the step to balance the model with the torpedoes employed as ballast at the stern. Hope this helps.
Nick B

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »

Many thanks for the info Nick. These polo motors are certainly very effective. This is a good sized hull and  I'm assuming it's probably been built 1:12 scale and is approx 55" in length. The props and performance of the motors are well matched and the hull planes very well.  :-)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 06:38:47 pm »

Hi Perkasaman

The CMB is built to 1/12th making it 55 inches long and about 12inches wide. Like yourself we are very happy to see the hull planing as intended!  :-))

The cockpit has been detailed at long last, the instrument panels have been built and are being painted tonight ready for next week's show.
Dad decided to keep his original plywood instrument panel and made his throttles from flattened copper pipe. The instrument bevels are small washers which will have their faces stuck to them once they have been painted. He has also made many other items for the cockpit. Last week I described what I thought was the throttles but are actually the torpedo release handles and they are located on the cockpit walls. These are made in the same manner as the real throttles!  :embarrassed:
The addition of a small box has appeared on the control panel area, this is the morse tapper in its box, simply made from a piece of wood painted grey.
But I suppose the biggest thing you would all have spotted as new is the strange brass object sitting on the forward superstructure. This item is the aiming device for the torpedoes. The pointer is missing at the moment but it is made from a modified 12mm diameter porthole with flattened copper pipe and thin brass wrapped around it. The device was controlled by the smaller wheel next to the boat's wheel in the cockpit.
The naviagtion light holders have been attached with 0.05mm brass wire and a new vent has been glued into position too.
The boat's compass has been attached to with a bracket made from 1/32" plywood whilst the item is a white metal example available from Mobile Marine Models.
The other strange fittings you can see in the aft part of the superstructure are the Lewis gun mounts made from brass tube and rod soldered together and filed to create a stop. At the moment they are not glued but will be at a later date once the guns themselves have been made.
Everything is being painted its final coat this weekend so it can all be stuck on permanently.

Its starting to get very crowded on the superstructure now!!!  ;)
Still got add the crew too!!!
Nick B

Cherub4

• Shipmate
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »

:-)         Hi, raflaunches ,    What a great job you and your Dad have made of your  C.M.B. !!!         
      She really looks the business under way ,  you must be chuffed to bits with her.        I  have followed your build with a lot of interest over the past months as these boats are dear to my heart, I love the curves that are built into her shape,  like Spitfires they have no straight lines .     Unlike yourselves I made mine 3/4inch to the Ft , and in F/G  from my own plugs and moulds some 20yrs ago .   There not the  easiest boats to make and fit out ,as you no doubt found out , but well worth the effort I think .     I`m not having a lot of luck posting at the moment , finger trouble on my part

Im an absolute thicko with this laptop and its vagaries but I hope to be able to send pics any time soon    There are about 10 of my hulls skulking around  the  U.K .somewhere.   Only one person has    sent pics of the finished boat. Hope the others  arnt stuffed in the loft or worse.      Hope to continue this  rambling in due course .      Regards ,  Cherub4 .

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:28 pm »

Hi Cherub4

We are really happy that you like our CMB, she really does go like a bat out of hell!  :-))
My Dad now feels not alone , as you say the hull is not easy with curves everywhere and not a sole straight line.  It sounds like you had a harder time making your plug and moulds than we did with our wooden hull, after speaking with a few manufacturers in this hobby I know how difficult it can be producing a GRP hull. I'm sure that your hulls are safe and hopefully not in lofts, love to see your pictures of your CMB.
Anyway, welcome to the mayhem forum I'm sure you'll find your way around!
Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »

Hi everyone

The CMB project is almost complete, the White Ensign was raised on Friday, a silk example we bought from the Coalville show, the cockpit has had the fire extinguishers fitted and a figure (David Tennant as Doctor Who) is screwed into place as the pilot. The only things left to do are the torpedo caps and the boat handling hooks. The windscreen Mk 2 has been painted and will be in position for the Mayhem show at Wicksteed.
The Lewis guns will be completed at a later date because we have a new project being started soon, plans have already been purchased from the NMM!!! This will be a big (very big!) shock- the hull will be almost 7.5 feet long but only 7 inches wide and 7 inches deep! That's the only clue we are giving, she might be ready for a initial viewing on her building board for the Warwick show in November. She will be a real monster.

Nick B

ronkh

• Shipmate
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

This will be a big (very big!) shock- the hull will be almost 7.5 feet long but only 7 inches wide and 7 inches deep!

Could it have something to do with a turbine??

Very nice build that you have done, looks the business and thanks for showing.

Kind regards,

Ron.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2013, 05:43:10 pm »

Hi Ron

Thanks, she looks absolutely fantastic on the water!

Regarding the mystery project, no turbines but she was incredibly fast for her type, and heavily armed! Not the biggest guns ever fitted but just as dangerous! :-))

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

ronkh

• Shipmate
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »

Cheers Nick.

I was thinking of the Turbinia(?)

Just reading/looking at this post again and what a talented dad you have.
Is that a Springer in one of the photos on a shelf?

Now to get back to looking through it!

Ron.

ronkh

• Shipmate
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »

Sorry.

Just tried to up load a pic of the "Turbinia" but my fingers had a brain phart.  %%

Ron.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2013, 06:02:49 pm »

Hi Ron

No, unfortunately you're way off with turbinia, this monster wasn't as fast a her but could have blown the speedy turbinia to bits!
You're right with one thing though, like turbinia she was a one off to prove something!  %)

Yes that our springer tug cunningly disguised as a RAF Air Sea Rescue launch called 'air rescue springer tug' and the name on the stern is 'Can't Be'. So all together she is Can't be ARST!
She has a new superstructure at the moment some what temporary with a dancing penguin toy for the Wicksteed Show  {-)

Enjoy your read

Regards

Nick B
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »

Hi Ron your picture hasn't appeared properly, I've had a few problems today with pictures too.
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »

Hi everyone

After the Saturday at the Mayhem weekend at Wicksteed we discovered that the port rudder/prop shaft support bracket had failed causing the shaft to stiffen dramatically!  <:(
Dad managed to take it apart and found that the solder on the brass joins had failed so he stripped all the paint and dismantled the bracket.
After a few swear words (ok a lot of swearing!) he managed to re-solder the joins using more solder than before. Luckily now the system works again but we decided to check our other boats and found a few other failures, see the HMS Gnat thread on this forum for the other re-soldering tasks! :-))
The CMB now has a crew member called David because he is a Doctor Who figurine of David Tennant! He is screwed in to the cockpit and his arms are poseable and rest on the boats wheel and throttles.
Hopefully it will be finished in the next month!
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

Hi everyone

Here is the pictures of the last update from all those weeks ago!

David Tennant aka Doctor Who attached to the cockpit at the helm.

And the silk White Ensign on its flag pole.

Dad will finish the CMB off when he has completed this for a friend...

Nick B

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:08 am »

Hello Nick,

Its been sometime since your last update but I wanted to express my appreciation of your father's build. He certainly has done some excellent work! :-))

I'm starting a smaller 1:24 scale version of the late CMB55 & will be using this build as a reference.

Regards,

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 24 queries.