Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch built Stealth concept destroyer  (Read 2773 times)

Patrick Henry

Scratch built Stealth concept destroyer
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:52 pm »

Well, here she is...my attempt at building a Stealth concept destroyer. The prototype never got any further than the drawing board, which is how I like them....nobody can tell me that this is wrong or that's wrong.

The hull started off as a spare from my Lesro Gemini cat, she's 23" long and 3.5" in the beam, has a 385 low drain motor run from a 4.8v 3000a/h cell pack. I've fitted a Corona 40mHz rx and an Mtroniks Viper 15 esc, and an MMB micro servo for the rudder. Prop is a 25mm 3 bladed plastic Graupner, prop shaft is home made from a length of an old car radio aerial and two O rings. Rudder is from the odds n' ends box. Fittingly, she's to be named HMS Gemini...

She's away to the paintmiester after the festive break to be sprayed...dark red under water, black waterline and and standard battleship grey upperworks.

Apologies for the photo, as a photographer I'd make a good gardener.... :((

Rich

Patrick Henry

Re: Scratch built Stealth concept destroyer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:40 pm »

If anyone knows a supplier for a 1/96th scale helicopter of some sort, I'd appreciate the info...

Rich

PlaneCrazy

• Shipmate
  • Whoops!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:36:13 pm »

If anyone knows a supplier for a 1/96th scale helicopter of some sort, I'd appreciate the info...

Rich

Howz about an Apache at 1/100?

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/snaptite/85-1373.html

Nice destroyer BTW!

Cheers

Ian

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:42:48 pm »

Thanks Ian, that may do the trick nicely...

Rich

bikerdude666

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:07:22 pm »

Damn too late, just found a Revell apache on eBay, but was either 1/144 or 1/72.

Nice model, plan on 1 similar, but with the oddly reverse shaped bow.

What are you doing in the way of weapons?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

I'll probably leave this one as it is, Derrick...I'd like to get hold of a fibreglass hull around the same scale/size(maybe a touch bigger)and make my own reversed bow section.

I'm not supposed to use fibreglass(doctor's orders)but I know a bloke who's got a mate who drinks with a geezer in the Parrot and Parsnip pub who works with fibreglass....

Rich

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:35:24 am »

Couldn't resist at having a try at the "droop snoot" bow...made a template up out of 2mm styrene, cut a slit in the bow, and here's the first attempt at fitting it. Not too far out, nothing a few minutes with a sanding block won't cure.

To fill it in and get the shape, I'm going to build it up with block balsa and then cover it with a very fine layer of filler...if it works, all well and good. If not...well, I've lost nothing, this is the spare hull.

Once again, apologies for the photos...

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:58:43 pm »

Have you looked at polyurethane resin? It's generally the glass in GRP laminates that is an irritant, polyurethane is strong enough without reinforcement required e.g. Engels 212 is cast from polyurethane resin.

Smooth-on do a brushable polyurethane resin called 'Shell Shock', you can paint it on like gelcoat into a hard or flexible tool, and demould within an hour.

http://www.smooth-on.com/a30/Shell-Shock%3D-Self-Thickening-Brushable-Plastic/article_info.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.