Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ISP Service  (Read 2246 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
ISP Service
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:28:07 pm »

This subject was last discussed on the Forum in 2007 which must be far enough back to warrant a new look.

Tempted by BT's new Superfast Broadband offers I am considering switching to them from AOL. Which? doesn't rate BT for the serviice they provide but what do Forum members find in practice?

Secondly how simple have members who have made a similar jump found it to migrate 'Favourites' and email  address lists?

Thanks for all responses.

Barry M

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: ISP Service
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »

'Favourites" are not efected nor are your address lists .  Bt are fine, I found them great when I moved from Talk Talk who own AOL by the way, talk talk where rubbish and did not want to let me go and messed me about rotton and refused to alow BT to take over so I had to wait the alloted time that they are alowed to keep you about a month I think it was, fortunatley I also have Virgin broad band so there was no problems

Peter

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »

I don't think there is a simple answer to "the best ISP". There are too many factors involved, down to the state of the local wiring, unless you have the option of cable. I have in the past been with Tiscali who most people consider are rubbish. I never had any problems with them. Having moved house I am now with BT and am very happy. So far, after over 2 years, I haven't had to call them with any problems. I don't use their mail service, I have my own domain and all my mail goes via Google. I use Thunderbird to collect the mail. Google have an excellent SPAM filter, such that I can barely remember when I last had a spam message in my inbox.

Barrie

bikerdude666

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »

We're currently with sky, get everything (tv, phone, broadband) for slightly over £30 a month, when we moved here I got estimates from loads of companies and was quoted 2.5-3 Mbps, sky are currently delivering nearly 4mbps and phone every couple of weeks to see if we're happy with the service and if we've had any problems, speed had dropped to about 2.5mbps so I mentioned this when they phoned and next day it was back up to 4-4.5mbps.

If you can get fibre optic, I'd go with virgin, had faultless service from them for years, if it's on a normal phoneline, I'd say to stay well away from virgin or aol.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »

I wont sign up with BT, sky or any other ISP that ties you into a 12 month contract. They have you by the short and curlies so have no compunction to correct any errors or faults with your broadband.

TBH, one of the best ISP's I've found has been BE who Im currently with. You can have the option of a 3 month contract if you wish. I've found my line speed and stability to have been greatly improved since switching to them.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:38:26 pm »

I usually get 37Mb/s download and 8Mb/s upload speeds with BT Infinity, compared with 4.4 and 0.4 before Infinity

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »

I usually get 37Mb/s download and 8Mb/s upload speeds with BT Infinity, compared with 4.4 and 0.4 before Infinity

Whoooaa! That is some improvement. Unfortunately BT dont look like they are rolling out infinity in my area until after 2013! May as well wait until infinity at that rate.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 12:10:48 am »

if you can get Virgin you can get fast speeds I get between 49 and 51 meg on a 50 meg plan always fast I could get 100 meg if I was perpaired to pay an extra £10, depends what you need and how much you use it.

Peter

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »

The best thing is to go onto Uswitch.com & see what your neighbours have & what speed hey are getting.  I'm with Zen as an ISP on the BT Local loop. Zen are absolutely fantastic, but aren't the cheapest or fastest. I work from home so my broadband needs to be 110% & if it breaks the support needs to be there. Zen in his case have been great.
Jim

Craig Dickson

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:37 pm »

Hi Barry
I moved from AOL to BT about 5 years ago and I will be sticking with BT.
With BT I have never had a single problem so I cannot comment on their service levels. However even when I moved house a couple of years ago I literally plugged in the home hub and within minutes was connected and running. My speeds are download 7mb and upload 0.4mb which is fine for my requirements.
One thing I would suggest is that whoever you go with, don’t accept the advertised price as set in stone. It is such a competitive market that there is scope to negotiate on price.
Cheers
Craig

wbeedie

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search   Type the name of town or village in the box , you will then come up with a list of exchanges, click on your exchange then check for LLU operators available , they have there own stuff if none available go for BT as the rest of the ISPs will be hiring equipment from BT and if BT want they will throttle the others just to keep their own broadband upto speed

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:47:40 am »

Thank you for all answers. I think that the general response indicates BT as a reasonable bet for the future especially as recent glitches have made AOL even more unattractive to me.

Regards,

Barry M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.