Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist who failed his art exam.  (Read 2697 times)

Dreadstar

Artist who failed his art exam.
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:19:45 am »

I'll let this photo speak for itself. The artist will be back tomorrow to finish this mural off,then he's got another one to do around the other side of the building.
 This was painted on a billboard on the side of the old Lyceum Picture hall on Govan Road in Glasgow using rattle cans.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Artist who failed his art exam.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

Art is subjective and subject to fashion views. The only student on my Daughter's degree course to get an offer of a job based on his course work got the lowest possible degree grade from the university. Go figure  %%
Don't Assume Check

ZZ56

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:14:02 am »

i went to art school for four years.  I have a degree in Illustration.  I use it to keep some other papers held in place in my filing drawer.  I'm now an engineer in training.   :embarrassed:

Art isn't 'subjective', that's just what they say to disguise the incredible level of politicization in art, especially 'fine arts'.  I suspect the fellow in question would've passed his art exam if he'd simply done a caricature of George W. Bush with a Hitler moustache. 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:44:05 am »

Art isn't 'subjective', that's just what they say to disguise the incredible level of politicization in art, especially 'fine arts'.

I both agree and disagree; Yes every facet of the Arts is politicised from funding, training, appreciation, use and interpretation.
Yes there is an objective element in assessing the components, structure and skill of a work. I disagree that any appreciation of
Art isn't also undergoing a subjective process too - it's just in our nature to make subjective choices.

Just out of interest; would you say that knowledge of an Artist's body of work, of his experiences and views should play any part
in the appreciation of a single work he has produced?

Dave

ZZ56

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »

Nobody is suggesting that you have to agree with the artist to like the art, if that's what you're asking.  That's assuming the art is sufficiently decoupled from the artist.  

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:13:32 pm »

Not actually suggesting anything - the question is one I had some difficulty with a while ago -
I just wanted your take on it. I don't often get the chance to talk to someone about Art.
Off of Mayhem general conversation seems to be limited to work football work women football
cars football work football Xfactor Jungle. I once mentioned something was a bit like seeing an
anamorphic image and in return I was asked what it could have to do with skinny girls  O0 {-)

I think I sort of arrived at the position that (beyond the subjective decision of like or dislike) one
needed to understand the period the painting was from because a pomegranit or a juniper may
have definite meaning beyond what is obvious today, also the period gives a clue to inovation
within the work. I also thought that knowing a lot about the artist was important but only as an
adjunct to the work itself, the information very much in a subordinate and auxiliary capacity yet
interesting. A lot of people took the view information about the artist was really important but I
just couldn't see it as prime. :P

Dreadstar .................. now you've got my interest I need to see the completed picture please :D

Dave

Dreadstar

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »

My hat's off to the artist,who despite high winds,was up in the Iron Fairy again today finishing off the first pic and starting on the second one around the corner. I didn't have my camera with me today,but I'll make sure that I have it in my pocket tomorrow. :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »

Hey Dreadstar

If he is using Rattle cans at a fair rate of knots - why not take a couple of hulls with you too  {-)

Dave

ZZ56

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 01:38:07 am »

Not actually suggesting anything - the question is one I had some difficulty with a while ago -
I just wanted your take on it. I don't often get the chance to talk to someone about Art.
Off of Mayhem general conversation seems to be limited to work football work women football
cars football work football Xfactor Jungle. I once mentioned something was a bit like seeing an
anamorphic image and in return I was asked what it could have to do with skinny girls  O0 {-)

I think I sort of arrived at the position that (beyond the subjective decision of like or dislike) one
needed to understand the period the painting was from because a pomegranit or a juniper may
have definite meaning beyond what is obvious today, also the period gives a clue to inovation
within the work. I also thought that knowing a lot about the artist was important but only as an
adjunct to the work itself, the information very much in a subordinate and auxiliary capacity yet
interesting. A lot of people took the view information about the artist was really important but I
just couldn't see it as prime. :P

Dreadstar .................. now you've got my interest I need to see the completed picture please :D

Dave

Ohh yes, to understand the message of a piece (if it has one) you DO need to know about the artist and the conventions of the time.  A lot of medieval pieces look rather silly if you take them at face value ("so a lot of people stood sideways next to Lord with blank looks on their faces?") because the message is complex and conveyed through allegory.  

I agree about the completed work, pics please!

ZZ56

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 01:54:14 am »

As an aside, people nowadays seem to think 'art' is a synonym for 'good'.  It's not.  Art can be good, bad, or contested.  It's an incredibly complex and slippery thing to pin down, but the best definition I can think of that fits within a Mayhem post is 'the arrangement of materials with intent and with an interest in aesthetics alone".  Dance is the arrangement of movements, theatre is the arrangement of scenes and dialogue, music is the arrangement of sounds, etc. etc. 

If you paint a canvas solid red with the intent to make it 'art', then it is.  Whether or not it's worth money or worth a nanosecond of anybody else's time is a whole other matter.  If you paint your living room red because you like the colour, that's called 'interior decorating' and potentially 'grounds for divorce'  <*<

Dreadstar

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:22 pm »

As promised lads,here's a photo of the completed painting,plus the new one around the corner. Unfortunately,he wasn't there by the time I finished my rounds,so I'm still ignorant of his name. :embarrassed:

The new painting,that I didn't see being done.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.