Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS DARING - DESTROYER 1930 - 1:72 SCALE  (Read 40091 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
HMS DARING - DESTROYER 1930 - 1:72 SCALE
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:39:48 am »

Hi all, just a couple of pics of my new build.

I am building this model from the late Norman Ough plans which he drew in December 1952.

For the newcomers on the scene this late gentleman was the forerunner to Jacobin Plans - he drew a lot of his plans from photographs and are well sought after.

David MacGregor plans have the rights to all of his drawings but, the MacGregor plans are all now held by SS Great Britain Trading Limited.

Anyway, to get to my build:

After I have finished planking the hull, I intend to put shell plating on the hull and I also am intending to use the method once mentioned somewhere on this Forum by Shipmates60.  So Shipmates60 would you post how you actually did it, and what card you used, and what hull did you plate on top of - was it a wooden hull or a fibre glass hull - or anyone else with any ideas for shell plating.   I know this topic has definitely been on the forum before - but I am struggling to find it.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: HMS DARING - DESTROYER 1930 - 1:72 SCALE
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:52:16 am »

John,

I'm having a go a plating on my "Torpedo Boat No 80" build. No pictures yet of the completed hull, but there are some of my "experiments" and a few notes of things that went wrong/changed along the way. It's not looking too bad at the moment, but I can't claim to be an expert as it's my first attempt. However, I'm more than willing to share any problems or ideas.

Once I have resolved the problems of the steering mechanism, I hope to put up more pictures of the completed hull.

Rick

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 12:06:01 pm »

Hi John,
I'd like to know how to apply shell plating as I have a couple of boats whch require it when I get around to building them.

I have contacted SS Great Britain Trading Ltd by 'phone as they don't seem to answer e-mails. The David MacGregor plans are in storage, Planning permission was granted in February for a new museum building alongside the dry dock. Until that is built any enquiries are put on a database until they can gain accsess to them, when I asked how long this would be they said unlikley this year and the database is very long. Has anyone else on here approached them and got the same answer? I am after a copy of HMS Lion (1910) plans I have a quote from NMM and a list of plans they have, as usual its a  big total at the bottom of the page.

Daryl

hiapita

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:22:48 pm »

Hi John, your model is looking very nice I can't wait to see some more pics it will be a great model when it is finished. Do you think the same as me that the planking seems to go on for ever?

Hannah.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:36:39 pm »

Nice job John,a man of many talents obviously.
Have you got your wood yet?
By the way, should this not be in the "Our Builds" section ?
Perhaps, seeing as you are turning out so many models now you would like a section of your own? ???

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 05:45:46 pm »

Daryl,   I have the N/Ough plans for Lion at 1/192 , if you want a copy of this 2 sheet plan contact me on johnrhaynes.shipmodels@virgin.net

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 05:53:11 pm »

Hi one and all

Yes hiapita yes the planking goes on forever and ever - but well worth it when you are finished  :D

Dicky my friend you have let me down - I was expecting to see your pics of the HMS Daring 1930 because Ive scoured the web and only come up with 2 or even 3 and you are one of these people (a bit like our Riggers) who can search the web and come up with totally different and unseen pics of vessels.  I am sure there are others of us who are the same, cannot find a thing on the web.  So one day you will have to give us all a tutorial how you search the web for different pics etc.

RickF yes I would love to see pics of your build of the torpedo boat and have a look at how you are intending to plate the hull.  What materials are you thinking of using for your plating?   Ive used plasticard before to plate a hull and I wasnt all that happy with it - that is why I am hoping some people on this forum will come forward with suggestions and methods - because I would like to try another way of plating.  I know RonH used to use lithoplate, but he has left the forum UNLESS WE CAN PURSUADE HIM TO COME BACK.

Shipmates60 -are you still at home?

aye
john e
bluebird

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:05 pm »

May I ask a daft question but where do you get lithoplate from and exactly what is it?

Daryl

kendalboatsman

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:46:58 pm »

May I ask a daft question but where do you get lithoplate from and exactly what is it?

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

I just googled for lithoplate and found this comment on a college based website "lithoplate10.3
    lithoplate is available from any printers, and can usually be obtained free if you ask nicely. "

Hope that helps
Clive :)

PS Wish I could plank as beautifully as that John, I always seem to have gaps.   :)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:00:32 pm »

I understand lithoplate is becoming rarer as printers move over to electronic imaging however, no harm in asking around. When it is used its only used once and disposed of.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:05:58 pm »

Hi ya there all,

Kendalboatman when I plank - depending on the model, I normally plank from the gunnel up towards the keel for the first five planks and then plank from the keel back over towards the gunnel.   Then again, depending on the shape of hull, this I find keeps the planks parallel to the gunnel and keeps them in a neat tight line.   If this doesn't make sense to you, I can try and draw a little sketch to show you what I mean.

Not a daft question at all Daryl, Ive never worked with Lithoplate myself, and it is one of my options.  Ive got a piece of Lithoplate from a friend to experiment with and its shiny on one side, and grey on the other side with perforated holes top and bottom and a little bit bigger than A4 sheet.   It seems to crease really easily so any mistakes made with it would be difficult to rectify.  Say for arguments sake you creased the corner of a plate that you were putting on your model, it looks as if it would be difficult to remove the crease.

Aye
john e
bluebird

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 09:13:19 pm »

Hi John,
Thanks for the info I wondered what it was.

I just did a quick google search and come up with this one from Uboat.net

http://uboat.net/allies/warships/class.html?ID=12

or you could try these links
www.candoo.com/ncot/norriepage/daring.jpg
www.wrightandlogan.co.uk
www.navyphotos.co.uk
www.maritimequest,com

Hope they help
Daryl

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:59 pm »

Hi all, two more shots.   Finished planking and busy sanding and filling the planks with P38 car body filler and also first coat of resin is on her.  House is smelling of resin and getting an ear-bashing off the Mrs  ;D  One of the side effects of modelling I suppose.  ;D ;D

aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

Mrs just saw photographs and we definitely need a new sink and tap  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 09:29:07 pm »

Looks nice, keep posting, Have you had a look on
www.navweaps.com

lots of information about armourment.

Thanks everyone for the information about lithoplate, I'll have a word with the printers just down the road from where I work.

Daryl

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 09:32:20 pm »

John,
On my 1/72 Battle class I used normal copier paper.
I fully prepared the hull first, but that was only because I didn't think of plating till she was done and wanted to plate the hull.
I didn't have the shell expansion drawing, so cut up lots of rectangles the same size.
I painted WATERPROOF PVA glue on one side and let soak in.
I placed the first row on the hull, overlapping slightly and let dry overnight.
I then laid the rest of the hull, overlapping and trimming as I got to the hull curves.
I let the plates dry and then finished off around the bilge keels and keel.
When it was completely dry, I painted the whole hull with PVA and let dry.
I then painted the hull with an oil based primer/undercoat.
4 coats. Rubbed down where necessary using fine wet and dry.
Let hull dry again and painted as normal.

Hope this is what you are looking for John.

It worked for me and did look real!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:54 pm »

hi ya there bob, that is exactly what I want - excellent - thanks - gonna give this a try.  see how we get along.#

daryl thanks for the links

aye
john e#
bluebird

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 09:51:28 pm »

John,
She is looking superb, but a ship without a funnel, didnt think it was your style   :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 10:23:37 pm »

It seems to crease really easily so any mistakes made with it would be difficult to rectify.  Say for arguments sake you creased the corner of a plate that you were putting on your model, it looks as if it would be difficult to remove the crease.

I have worked with this for years, what you do if you crease it is , with a block of wood you put the litho on a flat metal surface and rub the block over the litho and out should come the crease. ::) ::)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 06:52:59 pm »

I have refurbished model boats which have been plated with lithoplate.
On these the plates were comming of, this trapped water between the hull and plating making this situation worse.
I personally am a bit wary of plating any metal over a wooden hull with the huge difference in coefficients of expansion between the 2 substances.
You would need to use a flexible glue to allow for this.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »

Never had any problems, I use contact adhesive, but I have never put it directly on timber,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 07:13:03 pm »

hi there everyone

shipmate60, you have hit one of my fears right on the head - about the two different expansions rates of the material -

captain anonymous says he hasnt experienced this, could you shed some light on by explaining how you actually cut the material lithoplate and applied it & to what type of hull you applied it and what preparation he uses.

aye
john e
bluebird

ps got wrong off the Mrs again today - for stinking oot the hoose with resin  aye I did that  ;D ;D ;D

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 08:33:40 pm »

hi john    using lithoplate is quite easy when u get used to it, i built a battleship with the stuff, you should know, you sailed it round the lake a year ago, the whole superstructure was built with it,  (see pic) ive got over 100 sheets of it at a4 size and a few at a3 size, if you require any just ask, its yours, and show you how i glued it using two methods,,, and its also fantastic for deck plating with rivets in to,just let me know,,, bcos i need your input with a cruiseliner hull, ;) ;) ;) ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 08:47:08 pm »

hi john    using lithoplate is quite easy when u get used to it, i built a battleship with the stuff, you should know, you sailed it round the lake a year ago, the whole superstructure was built with it,  (see pic) ive got over 100 sheets of it at a4 size and a few at a3 size, if you require any just ask, its yours, and show you how i glued it using two methods,,, and its also fantastic for deck plating with rivets in to,just let me know,,, bcos i need your input with a cruiseliner hull, ;) ;) ;) ;)
Come on brian_c you cant just show us a photo of part of the ship, wheres the photos of the rest of it?

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 09:16:17 pm »

other pics using lithoplate,    just for u richard,  ;)

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »

oops sent that twice, ??? turrets all with lithoplate,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.