Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay / Paypal problems...  (Read 8604 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Ebay / Paypal problems...
« on: December 29, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »

Dear All,

I thought you might like to know this, and share it.

On the 28th. inst. my account with them was compromised to the tune of in excess of £500.. However, 3/4 of an hour after the event, I rcd. a telephone call, and, happily was in the Off. to take it.

I was intially more cautious of them than they were of me! And demanded to know more of them than they wanted to know of me, however a compromise was reached to enable all to get on an even keel!

The long and the short of this is, that, firstly, I am extremely impressed at how fast PayPal got on to what was going on, and, secondly, how they sorted it all out, and, thirdly, I have been reimbursed. Of course I helped them as much as I could, all Passwords were changed immediately for everything as well, and all else checked and made further secure.

What is interesting is, how did these crooks break my Password? How were they able to change certain info.? I am reassured by PayPal that obviously what routes were taken will be forever blocked, and I believe them of course, but it just goes to prove that we all can never be vigilant enough.

Take warning therefore - and whilst I thought I had been safe for years - this can happen to any of us - make sure your Passwords are very complicated... not just DOB, and simpler, but extreme.

Regards, Bernard

The long Build

Re: PayPal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »

I would certainly run a full system check using your Virus checker as well as a few of the free ones , Eg Avg also the ones mentioned elsewhere here recently, chechk your system for any programs you are not aware of and back track your paypal use Paypal shpuld have been able to tell you some info ?.  also as you access Paypal via your email addy I would check that as well as it may have been also compromised..  :-))

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »

It seems to me that paypal was already aware of the scams. It is possible that it was an internal leak that caused your loss. This may be why they were able to act so fast. Im glad to hear all went well in this case. Sadly Paypal is not always this good. A trawl of the Internet will pick up many complaints. John.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:50:31 pm »

I must defend PayPal in this matter.

I have very good Firewalls, and PayPal confirmed they are more than happy. I must further defend by saying that 3/4 of an hour after the event they phoned me. I have all emails and all records to prove.

Having questioned how this could have happened, and all the various ways, I do not consider they could have done anything about it, but, certainly, another door is slammed shut. Oh, the idiots who perpetrated same left such a trace that they will most certainly be brought to book!!!

So, I can only say pretty damn good one way and another.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:58 am »

I also have only good things to say about Paypal. I recently had to take on a big company that failed to meet it's obligations. As I had paid by Paypal, they took the case on for me and after a short time, I was fully reimbursed by them and the offending company warned re it's future conduct.

Of course there will alays be complaints and problems with a company as big as they are.. :-))

wullie/mk2

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:23:37 am »

My experience with Paypal, ... >:-o they protect buyers when it comes to ebay items, but sellers are given very little protection, up until 3 days ago, I had 100% feedback from buying and selling on ebay,...mostly selling,...70 odd positive feedback from happy buyers,..then a buyer received an item which he said arrived  damaged, I always insure my items to the full value,,I told him to send me pics of the box when he received it, pics of the damaged item,as it was when it came out of the box,,...his responce, "i,ve thrown the box out,and I don,t" want you to make a claim, " on the insurance, I will send the item back and I want a refund,"...he then reported me to ebay,...left negative feedback, my paypal account is frozen,....but the dispute is still on going,he still has the item, I have asked him to send the item back to me, ..boxed the same way as i do, i.e. double box,..I want it insured and a tracking number, sent to me,...his responce, "I,ll return it my way",????... when i contacted ebay, and Paypal, I was told my account would remain frozen until the dispute was settled,...I have more money in my Paypal account, than the value of the item, but they won,t release  the money i have over, >:-o

thelegos

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:53 pm »

I sold a Tamiya RC car through the Tamiya forum sales room to someone in Belgium, he paid me through paypal as 'goods'. Three weeks later he raised a dispute with no prior notice claiming it was not delivered and despite me providing copies of all the paperwork for proof of postage etc. my Paypal account was stopped and the only way I could get it live again was to refund £155. What I said counted for nothing, I was considered guilty on the basis of his word alone - at least I could prove it had been sent but it made no difference, in my opinion being judged in this way is totally unacceptable.

What also took me by surprise is that this was not an ebay transaction and paypal would have been unable to verify anything concerning details of the transaction. By defining the payment as 'goods' I set myself up to be scammed without any security, transaction history or support!!

I knew I was right and watched his tamiya forum showroom for six months and low and behold my car turned up! I'd kept all the pictures, emails and other proof, contacted the forum moderators with all the info and then contacted the 'buyer' (or thief to be more accurate) The moderators also contacted him and his forum account was suspended.
Needless to say I didn't have the time or need to go back to Paypal as he paid up, ironically through paypal. It was accompanied by pathetic emails saying it took months to arrive and was smashed to pieces - it looked OK in his forum pictures!!

This also raises another issue, the seller is always held responsible for any service failures by the post or courier companies despite making every effort as wullie/mk2 had done and I always do but lets not go there.....

In fairness I have to say Paypal has served me well over the years and proved to be most convenient but I do feel disputes should be resolved before such drastic action is taken against good sellers and money not witheld above the value of goods. Let's have a fair two-way process on the basis of 'innocent until proven guilty'.

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »

Strange that although Ebay say Paypal are a seperate Company to Ebay They are one of the same..

Unfortunately Proof of posting means Diddly squat , Even Proof of delivery is suspect but you would have stood a better chance to fight the case.

The really stupid bit is if the buyer returns the item in a box but actually puts nothing in the box but can prove delivery to you Ebay / Paypal WILL side with the Buyer..

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »

Did you check buyer feedback? Having bad feedback, or having very little should always be treated with suspicion....

snowwolflair

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:14:41 pm »

I always ship by an insured service and require my buyers to agree.  Ok it adds a little for the insurance, but funnily enough the parcels I send insured, usually by Royal Mail or Parcelforce, arrive undamaged whereas those sent uninsured or Joe Blogs courier generally don’t.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:42 pm »

I used to use Royal Mail all the time,or Parcelforce,but like every carrier,whether its Royal Mail, or private, ...when a claim is made for goods damaged whilst in transit,then you see them for what they are,...they make it so hard for a claim to be upheld,..they just don,t want to pay out,furthermore, I found that the Royal Mails prices were becoming far too expensive,I now use www.parcel2go.com and have had 2 years trouble free business with them, and their chosen carriers, are the beez neez

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:30:53 pm »

Hearing some of the unfortunate happenings, it might be wise to state very very clearly what your Sellers returns policy is. Many know little to nothing about how such intricacies should be done, so it's always best to make very plain how you want it to be. Regards, Bernard

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »

Hearing some of the unfortunate happenings, it might be wise to state very very clearly what your Sellers returns policy is. Many know little to nothing about how such intricacies should be done, so it's always best to make very plain how you want it to be. Regards, Bernard

Makes no odds what you put as your returns policy, as Ebay comes under distance selling you can return items what ever the buyers policy states, Also if a seller tried to refuse a return ebay will always side with the buyer.. %%

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »

Dear LongBuild,

My fault, should have been more succinct. I refer to the keeping of containers and wrapping if an item is claimed to be damaged on receipt. Re Willies' case, it was of course unfair for the Buyer to behave as he/she did, the wrapping/box etc. should have been kept as soon as the alleged damage was seen. However, such is life!

Regards, Bernard

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 06:20:17 pm »

:-))

wullie/mk2

Ebay,time for a change methinks
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »

I think its time, I left ebay,
just before Christmas I listed an Rc model Tank of the Henlong variety,it had every conceivable extra, i.e. all metal parts etc,I tested it to make sure it was working, it was,anyway it sold for £170, the buyer paid then I boxed it up, I double boxed it,and made sure it was,nt going to move about whilst in transit, I took pics of the packaging used, and pics of the box when i,d finished packing it, I then posted it with full value insurance,The buyer received it,,then 2 days later emailed me to say it was,nt working and had arrived damaged,I asked him if there was any visible damage to the box,prior to him opening it,..he said there was,..."the box looks as if its been crushed at the top," I told him to send my pics of the box and of the model as it came out of the box,then I would make a claim on the insurance,
He told me, "No good mate, I,ve dumped the box,"I want my money back,I told him that as I had paid for the insurance, I would try and make a claim,..he then reported me to ebay, and a dispute, was opened, I told him to just send the model back,
as backup I sent him my address, just as it was listed on ebay,On Thursday he sent me a tracking number, for TNT, when i typed it in, it said that the model had been delivered on Wednesday, and that it had been signed for,...It never arrived at my address, I phoned TNT, gave them the tracking number, they told me it had been delivered to an address which was 11 miles from my house, same postcode, different town, ???,I live near Edzell, the address to which it went was near Brechin,
I tried contacting the buyer, but to no avail, Then today, when i logged on ebay, I had a message from ebay, ..case closed, they reimbursed the seller, and I am now owe them £182, purchase price + postage costs, I sent another message to the buyer, ..his responce, LoL
I have now lodged an appeal against this action by ebay,  >:-o

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Ebay / Paypal problems...
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »

Wullie,
It is usual for eBay to side with the buyers so don't expect to see your money back.
Since eBay stopped sellers giving negative feedback to buyers there is far more goods "damaged or nor recieved" and eBay almost always side with the buyer.
Just check out the eBay Community Forums to confirm this.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 01:58:32 pm »

I,m going to push it as far as it will go,cos what have i got to lose, as it is I,ve no Model and no money,

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 02:03:55 pm »

Might be worth a gallon or two in petrol and a few beers to the local bad bikers club to mass outside his door and have the biggest ugliest one go to the door, kick it a couple of times and shout " whaurs mah king tank ? " <*< <*< <*<
..well can you land on this?

The long Build

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »

Have you looked at other Purchases your buyer make ?, what have been other comments .  What ever you do , DO NOT put a derogative comment on the feedback as this will jeopardise your chances.

Also might be worth while posting your situation on the sellers board on Ebay and see what advice they might give .

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 03:26:25 pm »

When you are selling something via fleabay \ paypal, the 'buyer's' feedback rating is immaterial. If they win the auction, there is a legal contract between the seller & buyer according to fleabay rules. You cannot go through their FB and go 'oh, the FB is a bit negative so Im not selling.'

If that buyer then says the item hasnt arrived or doesnt work, the seller is the one who has to worry. Fleabay \ paypal have made it far too easy for buyers to claim the item hasnt been delivered or doesnt work. That's not to say every seller is whiter than white either.

And selling stuff on fleabay isnt that cheap any more either. On an item selling for £300 or so, expect in the region of £40 in charges from fleabay \ paypal for insertion, selling and commission etc.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:57 pm »

This buyer paid withing a day or two, subsequently I left him pos feedback, then last week whilst the dispute was ongoing he left me very neg feedback,up until then i had 100% feedback 153 in total, 74 of which was from buyers,..ebay has made money from me, quite a bit in fact,..he has 14 feedback all for buying, so ebay have made nowt from him,..From the outset his messages to me were, scathing,i.e. the Box was damaged, the box was wet??? the tank was damaged, their was no charger, ..I never listed a charger, The carrier i used was crap,thats what i got in return,I always use parcel2go.com,...and guess what, he used them also,but what he did when puting in my postcode on the "find the address page, he jumped at the 1st address that was shown,..same postcode, but different address, had he just clicked on the arrow on the right, he would have seen my address, on his profile there was his address and a tel number,..I phoned it, and when it was answered I asked for him,..only to be told, "sorry mate, he does,nt live here,I threw him out 18 months ago",...I,ll wait until I get the next message from ebay, and if its as i fear, then i,m going to instigate a small claims case against him,

The long Build

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »

When you are selling something via fleabay \ paypal, the 'buyer's' feedback rating is immaterial. If they win the auction, there is a legal contract between the seller & buyer according to fleabay rules. You cannot go through their FB and go 'oh, the FB is a bit negative so Im not selling.'

You can Actually but it would affect your DSRs.Or you could say you posted the item and not actually post it, all against Ebay Rules and I'm noy saying its right but it happens.. Also you can block certain types of buyers from bidding on your dash board probably the easier option , although in this case not much help.

However my reference to the feedback is that if they appear to have a lot of "Oh the item never arrived" or such it can be used as evidence to Ebay C'Services

If that buyer then says the item hasnt arrived or doesnt work, the seller is the one who has to worry. Fleabay \ paypal have made it far too easy for buyers to claim the item hasnt been delivered or doesnt work. That's not to say every seller is whiter than white either.

Fully Agree
And selling stuff on fleabay isnt that cheap any more either. On an item selling for £300 or so, expect in the region of £40 in charges from fleabay \ paypal for insertion, selling and commission etc.

Again Fully Agree, but for general stuff there is not much competive competition, The Free listing weekends  (One this Weekend ) help a bit but not much

The long Build

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 04:26:18 pm »

If he has been thrown out , how did he get his parcel ?.

Make sure he is added to your blocked list.

wullie/mk2

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 04:30:55 pm »

He was thrown out from that address, which was different from the one i sent the model to,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.