Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules are never meant to be broken  (Read 5606 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rules are never meant to be broken
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »

Hi Guys

I saw once a couple of iceblocks  remaining earlier this year in a news report on Kilimanjaro, Wiki has this to say

In the late 1880s the summit of Kibo was completely covered by an ice cap with outlet glaciers cascading down the western and southern slopes, and, except for the inner cone, the entire caldera was buried. Glacier ice flowed also through the Western Breach.[31]

An examination of ice cores taken from the North Ice Field Glacier indicate that the "snows of Kilimanjaro" (aka glaciers) have a basal age of 11,700 years.[32][33] A continuous ice cap covering approximately 400 square kilometers covered the mountain during the period of maximum glaciation, extending across the summits of Kibo and Mawenzi.[34] The glacial ice survived drought conditions during a three century period beginning ~2200 BCE.[35]

The period from 1912 to present has witnessed the disappearance of more than 80% of the ice cover on Kilimanjaro. From 1912-1953 there was ~1% annual loss, while 1989-2007 saw ~2.5% annual loss. Of the ice cover still present in 2000, 26% had disappeared by 2007. While the current shrinking and thinning of Kilimanjaro's ice fields appears to be unique within its almost twelve millennium history, it is contemporaneous with widespread glacier retreat in mid-to-low latitudes across the globe. At the current rate, Kilimanjaro is expected to become ice-free some time between 2022 and 2033.[35]

I just thought I give an example far away from Canada. Now from that you can see change from 1912 but see http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1934203,00.html
for one explanation followed by dissenting arguments - it's not a long item.

Dave

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 01:53:13 pm »

I saw once a couple of iceblocks  remaining earlier this year in a news report on Kilimanjaro, Wiki has this to say....

Indeed, the wiki accurately indicates that the snow cap is receding. But you should note that it does NOT say that this is because of CO2-driven climate change.

Because it isn't.  Here is a quick googled newspaper article explaining what's happening... http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003744089_kilimanjaro12m.html

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »

see http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1934203,00.html
for one explanation followed by dissenting arguments

As I said ending the last post Dodgy - 'one explanation followed by dissenting arguments'
I'm willing to believe each side has something to offer; what I am not willing to believe is
that man's activities are not causal of at least some of the change - only how much is open
to debate for my money.............. not that I'm spending any money here because I need it
all for a Foundation Franklin ............ just got to find a kit somewhere. O0 :}

Dave

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:10 am »

what I am not willing to believe is that man's activities are not causal of at least some of the change ...

If we're talking about beliefs then I shall respectfully bow out.. but it may be as well to consider what the changes we are talking about are. Here is the RSS satellite feed for the last 30 years, where you can see the sharp rise during the 1980/90 period, and then, for the last 12 years, during which we have been increasing the human CO2 output, the gradual fall....

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rss/plot/rss/from:1985/to:1999/trend/plot/rss/from:1998/to:2012/trend

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 08:22:36 am »

and us brits made them out of wood aswell  O0 O0 :-)) :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »

Only to a Japanese Design   :(( :((

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.