Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blank CD quality.  (Read 3320 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Blank CD quality.
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

As some of you may be aware, I send modelling CDs all over the planet. But recently I've noticed a more than usual rejection rate. This is happening on my usual branded discs. (Verbatim). Any other "sufferers"? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Blank CD quality.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:52 pm »

Bryan. Its possible that your cd writer is playing up and not always burning correctly. Try borrowing a different drive, this may clear the problem. Im sure that youre keeping the drive clean. Good luck. John.

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

How old is the Optical Drive ? If it needs replacing you can get good ones for around £15.00.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:41:44 pm »

As some of you may be aware, I send modelling CDs all over the planet. But recently I've noticed a more than usual rejection rate. This is happening on my usual branded discs. (Verbatim). Any other "sufferers"? BY.

Same here with DVD's.
Opened new pack of Sony and they were stuck together  <:( <:( <:( all DVD's, Cd's made in china.

Brand means nothing anymore I buy the cheapest available at time, includes Imation, Verbatim, Sony, TDK etc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »

Bryan,

As the others have pointed out, it is quite likely that your optical drive is on the way out. Probably worth replacing.

Colin

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »

Hmm..

Had similar problems with TDK DVD's but not Verbatum.  I find that I have problems with the bluey tinge substrate DVD's which incidently are the TDK type. If I remember correctly, the Verbatum type are made with a silvery substrate.

It could be that the DVD laser is becoming slightly error prone. Try them out on a different DVD machine to see if it is the DVD recorder or the actual DVD's.

Declan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

Try using a CD head cleaner.  If the head has grown a bit of muck, the problem might then be cured.  As has been suggested, in a "proper" PC, rather than a laptop, a replacement DVD burner if needed can be got quite cheaply.  And I am one who thinks that advertising people who use the word "only" when spending somebody elses money should be filleted in public.  £15 might be a bit hopeful, budget about £20 including postage.
I have had problems in the past with "NoName Special" discs, but my newer drives are LightScribe types, which so far means that I need appropriate discs to allow me to print the other side, and "NoNames" have not yet entered that market.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:21 am »

And I am one who thinks that advertising people who use the word "only" when spending somebody elses money should be filleted in public.  £15 might be a bit hopeful, budget about £20 including postage.

Not sure if you are refering to my post Malcolm or advertisers in general but I Paid less than £ 15 from misco for a new one to replace one I hacked  (not doing that again)  (think it was Misco , may have been Ebuyer or Amazon ..am trying to find the invoice but it was less than £ 15.00.. :-))

And the new one (LG) is a lot faster.

Yes Found it.. Bought From Amazon 09-02-2011  £ 12.49  FREE POSTAGE..   LG GH22NS50.AUAA 22x SATA DVDRW Drive - Bare Black

Currently £ 12.49  but charging 4.99 postage as apparently someone has complained it was not as described !!  Reading the reviews of those who complained it had no Sata Cable or screws...   When they are advertised as Bare They dont have these things Doh..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002IST634

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:12:53 am »

Pc World do 1 for £ 14.99

LITE-ON iHAS324 Internal DVD Writer

However as Others have stated , look into cleaning the Drive, However if it was me and the cleaning Items came to more than a £5.00  I personally would not bother.  :-))

Incidentally the 1 I uh Modified  8) x cost £69.00 about 5 years ago, just goes to show how the have dropped in price and these I have mentioned are far better.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 07:40:55 am »

Some time ago, I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the software!
I always used Nero but after replacing the DVD burner drive and still having the same issue, it turned out that it was Nero at
fault after a installing an "update".

I now use Roxio... a much better bit of software in my opinion, (Nero, like much software has got too big and too bloated
and forgotten it's main purpose in lfe AND that 99% of users use only 10% of it's features but we;re gonna force 90% on you anyway!!!!)   >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:10:13 am »

Bryan

If by any chance your PC still has an IDE interface, then I have a new DVD Writer that you can have for the cost of postage.

Barrie

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

I should have mentioned that my writer unit is new(ish). I tend to buy my blank CDs in batches of 100 (in one of those tub things. The faulty discs always seem to be at or near the top of the pile. Although they are only around 20p each, it's still very annoying. Think I can get replacements from the vendor?
Anyway, it's not either of the read/write units or the software as I have the same problem with Nero, Roxio and the inbuilt Windows stuff. I think manufacturing standards are slipping!. BY.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 11:25:20 am »

. I think manufacturing standards are slipping!. BY.
[/b][/u]

I Agree.

Most likely all CD/DVD's come out of a couple of factories who then  just label them differently.

Don't have any way to confirm this, but was told that all items produced in China are sold, whether good bad or indifferent, nothing gets dumped, it is all sold.

If that is the case well..................

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

;) .....in Y2010........world production by three regional manufacturers only  {:-{

Taiwan
Japan
Korea........

All companies were then traced back & confirmed as being owned by European or & US Companies  

Try a simple GOOGLE search.....then refine/re-define  your  :police: questions..........

It is not that complicated.......... <*< .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »

;) .....in Y2010........world production by three regional manufacturers only  {:-{

Taiwan
Japan
Korea........

All companies were then traced back & confirmed as being owned by European or & US Companies  

Try a simple GOOGLE search.....then refine/re-define  your  :police: questions..........

It is not that complicated.......... <*< .....Derek

Have I missed something here ??  Question seems ok to me..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

Have I missed something here ??  Question seems ok to me..
You and me both! Bryan Y.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.