Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Sudbury  (Read 3821 times)

spiderman

SS Sudbury
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:06:32 pm »

Hi Shipmates,

As anyone of our Mayhem members converted a Revell 1/72 scale Corvette into SS Sudbury, Canadian Salvage Tug?

The only item I can find is the article by George Peat, who I have tried to contact but I read somewhere that he's sadly no longer with us.
I have got the book "High Seas & High Risk" Story of the Sudburys but I'm looking for more detail of the stern area, the book does not show much around the winch etc and the photos of George's build are not very detailed'
so any help would be grateful.

So far Iv'e built the hull and modified the rear bulwalk also built some of the superstructure and raised the foredeck and  bulwark.
I have some photos that I will upload later.

Thank John.

spiderman

Re: SS Sudbury
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:33:30 pm »

Photo 1

spiderman

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »

Photo 2

spiderman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »

Photo 3

spiderman

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »

Photo 4

spiderman

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:18 pm »

Photo 5

spiderman

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »

Photo 6

spiderman

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »

Photo 1 2 & 3

Shows the rear hull which had to be altered to a more tug like shape, as the Corvettes stern is quite flared outwards, this involved using a hair dryer on the back of the hull and pushing it against a hard surface!
Quite frightening I half expected the hull to end up on the carpet in a molton heap, but alas it worked as the photos show.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »

Looking good John.  :-))

(  NB: the photos you are posting are exceptionally clear, what camera / software are you using? )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

spiderman

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »

Thanks Martin,

Regarding Photo etc, I'm using an 6 year old Sony Cybershot at 5meg pixcels
and Windows 7 Paint program to resize them if thats a help.

I've nearly finished the Seaport Tug so back to the project I was working on in the first place.

Please feel free to move the Sudbury post as I forgot to start the post under Tug Boats etc !!
I will get the hang of this eventually.

Thanks John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:29:17 am »

John:

I've found these web pictures of the Sudbury. I offer them incase you haven't come across them.

John

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/MODELS/Sudbury/Sudbury.htm

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/canada/sudbury/

spiderman

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:50 am »

Hi John,

Thanks for your help, unfortunatlly I do have both links copied and saved.

I was hoping that someone else may have built one so that I could share their notes &  ideas etc, but its still early days yet  so I will keep my fingers crossed!
If no one comes forwardI will just have to do the best I can.
It appears that I have all the photos that are availabe on the net so at least no one will be able to say I've got it wrong,
I hope anyway?

Thanks Again
John.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »

Hi John - perhaps post this as well on the Model Tug Forum - there are a number of fellows on there familiar with the old Island Tug boats - someone might know of other photos. My Father in Law crewed on both the Sudbury and Sudbury II but photos from those days were not thought of - wet, windy decks and film cameras probably had a lot to do with that.

spiderman

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

Firstly
Thankyou Richard, but I do also have those photos and details but it was worth a try.

Next, Mike,
Thankyou too.

I think I will see if I can get this post moved by an administrator as I'm pretty new to this type of thing, thats why its not posted where it should be!!
I won't be so quick next time. If Admin cannot do it I wiill upload them again in the right place.

Im getting the feeling that I have all of the information and photo that have been uploaded onto the web but your idea is good as there may be others out there that have photos or advice that is yet not online.
Have you read the book "High Seas & High Risks" The Story of the Sudburys?  I'm sure you have,  it a real insight into life on board and also some of their rescues,
in fact the only pictures of any of the stern area that I have seen are in the book, the photos on the net don't blow up enough to see the detail very well.
You have a great connection to these famous Tugs
Again Thanks,
John.

spiderman

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I should let you all know that I have continued this build under "Tugs & Towing" as it was listed on this forum by mistake!!

My fault for being to quick and not thinking what I was doing.

John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.