Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic funnel colour?  (Read 18920 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Titanic funnel colour?
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »

White Star Buff..................
I've read all the web sites ( TRMA) etc and am no nearer finding a match,
I'm after something from the Humbrol /Revell /Tamiya range if possible.
Don't mind mixing a couple of shades,

Any ideas?
Thanks
Frank

nhp651

Re: Titanic funnel colour?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:24 pm »

Frank.......the mysteries of the universe are easier to solve than the question you are asking.

That is one of the main reasons that I sold my Robert Hann semi kit of the Titanic that cost me over a grand to buy some years ago.....there are more arguments on the Titanic Historical website about the "real" colours of the Funnels of Titanic and more ridicule off the site for those who get it wrong than I was ever prepared to chance it by.
Sadly it is no longer a pleasure to build this model because so many pour scorn on those who get such things wrong, that it why I gave up the chance to build such a beautiful model from such a beautiful semi kit.

So in answer to your question, no one is really sure what constitutes or mixes up into the real White Star Buff........you just have to take your chance and get it as near to what you want for your own purposes.

This can of worms that you have opened will, (absolutely no doubt about it ) rage on in argument for decades to come with those purists, who have their own idea of what the true colour was.......but as it probably changed in hue  with each pot of paint that was gotten from H and W stores.........ya pays yer money and takes yer chance.
neil.

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »

Go for what you think it is and stuff anybody else IMOHP.. :}   Tug Kenny is building a scratch model so he might have an idea, and if no one is actually really sure about the colour than what ever you go for can not be said is not correct, within reason.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:13 pm »

Go for what you think it is and stuff anybody else IMOHP.. :}   Tug Kenny is building a scratch model so he might have an idea, and if no one is actually really sure about the colour than what ever you go for can not be said is not correct, within reason.
I couldn't agree more LB...........too much hype about the correctness of this ship...build for your own enjoyment not to please others.
neil.

The long Build

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »

I have that many books on the old Girl it must be somewhere..

Need to get back to check if it is 36 rivets per panel or 43  :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »

In reality paint colours appear different depending upon the ambient lighting conditions so you will never get a 'correct' hue. A light buff colour is as good as anything.

Colin

furball

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »

There are no colour pictures of her anyway are there?

Lance

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:29:04 pm »

I couldn't agree more LB...........too much hype about the correctness of this ship...build for your own enjoyment not to please others.
neil.

eh wha!? I've said nowt ..yet.

Though you will find some colour pictures (Kchromes) of the Georgic/Britannic taken in the late fifties which illustrates the correct colour and shade pretty much as I remember them, on a certain site that has lots and lots of ship pictures.

Also don't make the same mistake as Fine Scale Models, who employed some Russian modelmakers to make a model of  her and which was shown at the ME some years ago. They told me that they had found the correct BS number and mixed their colours in accordance to that. I pointed out to them that while the colour they had used was probably correct for the full sized ship you have to remember that for a model you have to tone it down several shades otherwise the colour the colour will overpower the model; in otherwords you need to "scale" the colour down on the model to keep it in proportion to the actual full sized vessel.

As an aside, the owner of Fine Scale Models said to me that if I could fine anything wrong with the model I could have it so, being one that does not pass up thing like that, I immedatly pointed out that the ensign was incorrect and that she wore the Blue ensign and not the red. The look of horror on his face was something that I never forgotten and caused quite an inquest. He said .. "but you only have the white and red ensign....... don't you? I then did a runthrough of all the other ensign in use. I also pointed out that the shape of the stern at the upper deck level was wrong as well, as it should have been an almost continuous curve and not looking as though a meat clever had been taken to it and copped a piece off! "But" the Russian spluttered, "we have used the drawings from Harland & Wolff and this how it is shown"; "maybe you have, but, if you look at all the photographs and drawings from other sources it was (is) as I have described you have obviously miss interpreted the drawing was my reply".    This was in addition to the funnel colour. Eventually we agreed to disagree however, I'm still waiting for the model to arrive.................

LB

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:04:27 am »

So what colour ensign did the real ship fly ? {:-{
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 09:52:39 am »

If the captain is Royal Navy reserve, and many of them were, the ship/yacht they are commanding is entitled to fly the Blue Ensign. (Not the thing with the gold stars on it!)

Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 10:00:31 am »

So what colour ensign did the real Titanic fly ? {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:34 am »

The Blue Ensign. Captain Smith held the rank of Commander in the RNR.

Lots about it on Google....

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:18:42 am »

This one young sir  :-))

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:56:25 am »

Hmmm....thanks folks, now I  wonder what colour of black was that ship`s hull was painted, :o was it painted by brush or by roller... >>:-(? We must be told >>:-( , this is a vital detail that has not been covered >>:-( . Anybody trawled through the records of H&W`s paint suppliers ? Dicky , who made the flag ??? :kiss: %)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 11:08:59 am »

Hmmm....thanks folks, now I  wonder what colour of black was that ship`s hull was painted, :o was it painted by brush or by roller... >>:-(? We must be told >>:-( , this is a vital detail that has not been covered >>:-( . Anybody trawled through the records of H&W`s paint suppliers ? Dicky , who made the flag ??? :kiss: %)

Probably spray painted with White Star black probaby manufactured by "Torpedo" marine paints at Newcastle on Tyne, so you will have to ask them for the correct shade, if they still exist that is. The ensign was probably made in Liverpool the name of the firm escapes me at present but, I think they still exist.

I trust that this answer goes someway to resolving your question.  :kiss:

LB

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:45 am »

Frank

You've opened a can of worms here.    :} :}

As mentioned, the Titanic Research Society have debated this and have come  "close'  to an answer.  As no-one alive can remember then it's best to show an approximation.

Here's my version of the Buff colour which I now notice has darkened with age. I made it up myself by mixing light brown and yellow.

Any pictures of what you have.  :-))   will go down well with interested parties.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 11:20:50 am »

As an extra thought .............  the wall behind is actually White  ????

The camera and ambient light will always vary the realism of the photograph, so you are on a hiding to nothing.

As long as you are pleased with result, that's all that matters.

Regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

I've never been able to get too worked up about the precise 'authenticity' of colours in model form. Too much depends on the conditions under which you are viewing the model, both outdoors and under the various types of interior lighting.

Old photos are not much use either as prints fade while the limitations of the chemical process also introduce variations, monochrome photos are particularly misleading when trying to work out which colours are which on dazzle painted warships. You can see a similar effect with digital photos. If they are a bit flat then you can easily brighten them up in Photoshop etc. Who can say which is 'right'? The camera may have slightly overexposed and needs correcting or it may just have been a dull day giving low contrast. Then of course people's eyesight differs as well so none of us probably view things exactly alike.

Irrespective of the colour the degree of gloss will also make a big difference to how it appears to the eye.

When viewing any ship from a distance her appearance will be completely different if she is being seen in bright sunlight as opposed to overcast conditions or indeed under any other circumstances.

Just out of interest, the hull of Queen Mary 2 is generally thought to be black but actually it is a dark blueish grey intended to reduce its visual impact and give less emphasis to the size of the hull.

Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:36:39 pm »

Thank you Colin. :-))

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »

I'm tending towards Humbrol trainer yellow #24 at the moment.
but then there's Tamiya X41 desert yellow
or games workshop Elf flesh (nice!)
Humbrol Buff #7 seems only in gloss
This seems is a good web site for paint colours

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

You can pick a shade and then it gives you matches in various makes
Frank

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:28 pm »

Just had another look at the website in my previous post, and you can upload a picture, pick a colour from it and find a match....
http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »

fatboy999

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 05:07:23 pm »

White Star Buff..................
I've read all the web sites ( TRMA) etc and am no nearer finding a match,
I'm after something from the Humbrol /Revell /Tamiya range if possible.
Don't mind mixing a couple of shades,

Any ideas?
Thanks
Frank

Frank,I have the ANMARK 1/350 scale kit and the instructions give the mixture for the funnel as:  1 drop red, 2 drops "natural wood", 11 drops yellow, and 25 drops of white.  Hope this helps. 
Dale

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:04 pm »

Having just had my cataract op I have had the unique opportunity to compare the view from one eye with the other that hasn't been done and there is a very noticeable difference in colour perception between the two. In the eye operated on the colours are much brighter and more vibrant than the other although I expect my brain will split the difference before too long.

So this would indicate that if you paint your Titanic funnels a particular shade of buff then they they are likely to appear significantly darker to an older person (cataracts being very common after the age of 60) that they would to a younger or middle aged person. It follows that if by some chance you were able to reproduce the actual colour of the funnels in your paint, they would still be very likely to look significantly different to each of the people viewing the model.

As I said previously, there is therefore no need to worry too much about the exact shade used.

(incidentally, the op was painless as many on here will know, but you don't have the luxury of being able to shut your eyes as the needle descends with the local anaesthetic.  :o)

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.