Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Name that Ship - 2012  (Read 78761 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Name that Ship - 2012
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »

Pictures pleeeeease. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Will do when I get home (left the downloading thigy at home)

LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2012, 03:00:49 pm »

From what I have LB

It's not Garabaldi or Westwood, and the present name is not the A.J. Savoie  ;)

However it was the originally the A.J. Savoie

Given that do you want to continue for the current name? Or should I declare my information?

Dave :-)

I will make a decision after the match.

LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:32 pm »

See what you mean now took all of 30 secs:R.J. Breadner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcfs/3096362934/

LB who is now exhausted :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »

Hi LB

Over to you for the next one  :-))

I'll post up what I have anyway - just a couple of minutes reading.
Will take me a couple of minutes to post it though.

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »

Hi LB

This is what I have dug down to

MV Albert J. Savoie IMO 5126287 (image 1) is an N -Class 31metre ferry built for BC Ferries by Allied Builders of Vancouver in 1961 and registered as Victoria. The Transport Canada search can be found at http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/4/vrqs-srib/d.aspx?lang=e&shipid=314008 . A Deisel twin screw of 10 knots with a vehicle capacity of 16 and a passenger capacity of 133. For most of her ferry life, she served the route from Darrel Bay Ferry Terminal, just south of Squamish, BC, to Woodfibre, a pulp mill community on the west shore of Howe Sound. For her last years at BC Ferries, she served as a training vessel, based out of Deas Dock, BC Ferries refit center. In 2002, she was officially retired from BC Ferries. She was then bought by Mountain Marine Transportation and renamed R.J Breadner IMO 5126287 to work around British Columbia as a work-boat out of Porpoise Bay .She was a BC Ferries identical sister to the N class Nimpkish, the Nicola and the Garibaldi II; the smallest class of vessels in the BC fleet.  The ship is currently for sale by Harlow Marine International for  $can199,500. This link to R.J Breadner and his family photos, it has the only helm image I have found so far and it's the renaming http://www.pbase.com/portwelland/mountain_marine_transportation_ltd

The vessel appears in the opening or 'homecoming' scene of  the 2004 film Walking Tall (original was 1973) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351977/  She bears the name The Albert J Savoie, though seen there as that ferry I believe she was (by this time) no longer owned by BC Ferries. According to local sources Capt. John Horn had to take the 'Savoie' back and forth between Britania Beach and Squamish 14 times (including the film crew following in a helicopter) just for that one opening shot.  She very briefly appears right after the mgm lion in http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2258961689/

She has also been in another movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/ called The Big Year, facts were damned elusive but the filming was at Darrell Bay near Squamish in May 2010 with Darrell Bay filling in as WSF's Anacortes Terminal. I found a picture of her arriving for filming; the Breadner possibly playing the Hiyu (no data yet). She flew an American flag during filming too. From the trailer at 1:40sec you can make out the out of focus vessel in the background  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBAP2wId5M

Local boards in 2007 mention her appearing in a Suzuki car television ad for which the ferry was freshly painted in the Expo scheme and given fake bow doors. excapg2 is on The West Coast Ferries Forum at  http://ferriesbc.proboards.com/index.cgi he was working as the Skipper of the R.J Breadner  in the summer of 2008 so may also have been there in 2007 for the advert.

Page http://www.workinglives.ca/ferries/song-albert-j-savoie.html just caught my interest as there are some childhood memories that leads to a song being written about the man Albert J. Savoie and his working life around ferries. A researcher might find it tempting to pick facts from it – you can listen at  http://www.workinglives.ca/music/Albert-J-Savoie.mp3 or just read the text.

The British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. or more commonly known as BC Ferries is the Canadian ferry company that provides all ferry services in the western Canadian province of British Columbia. The company was formed in the late 50's, after a strike by employees of Black Ball Line caused the government to form BC Ferries. The very first route of the company was the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route with the first ferries of the fleet, the Sidney and the Tsawwassen serving the route. Since then, the company has grown massively with 25 main routes, 11 classes and 36 vessels currently owned by the company. The Spirit of British Columbia and the Spirit of Vancouver Island are the current flagships of the company. The company's worst accident occured in 2006, when the Queen of the North, bound for Port Hardy, collided with Gil Island and sank in the early hours of the morning. All but two passengers were rescued. Another infamous incident occured when the Queen of Oak Bay lost power outside the terminal at Horseshoe Bay and crashed into a nearby marina. Nobody was hurt and the ferry sustained minor damage. 28 pleasure craft, however, were either damaged or destroyed. My interest in this last paragraph really all stems from following the MV Kalakala history.

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2012, 11:26:03 am »

So ? What's up now ?

Xtian

PS I like the last picture, everything I like from BC and Puget Sound : sea, mountain, forest, nature, snow and sun (sometime) My dream is to leave in a old wood tug in this area.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »

LB's turn Xtian

Maybe the Ellesmere port show was too much for him
He had his photo taken twice O0 {-)

Dave

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »

Thrice actually,

I'll sort something later seeing you have all woken up now.

LB, with sprained ankle, so says doc at local drop in centre, and hoping ligament does not tear after tripping on pavement last week.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2012, 04:47:20 pm »

The best picture I have ever seen, in fact the only picture I've ever seen, of this vessel.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2012, 08:34:22 pm »

:-))

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2012, 07:27:30 pm »

Are we stuck then?

TailUK

« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:56 am »

I first thought it might be Carpathia or even the Californian  It looks to be of that era.  Mount Pleasant?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »

Sorry for the delay I missed the last post.

Much earlier than the vessels named but, at least, one owner is identified.

LB

mikearace

« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:48 pm »

Abysinia?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:37 pm »

Abyssinia certainly had many similarities with the subject above but, was an earlier example.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: March 20, 2012, 11:05:05 pm »

Have we given up then? After after the spare time you have had for that research as well.

LB

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »

Hello

Very nice ship, very nice picture but no idea about her name, maybe you have to give us the right answer and post another one please to continue the game ?

If you altered the pic to hiden the name or compagny or flag, could you post it again without alteration as it's a very nice ship !

Xtian

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:21 am »

Before I do as you suggest some more clues - she is a Cunard ship and regard by some as the first real Atlantic liner, think of an area that encompassed northern Italy, most of Switzerland, France and Belgium or even a French president who was told to leave Canada for inciting the local population set up their own state.

LB

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »

Thanks to this clue and the list of all cunard ships, may I say Gallia

Strange as you talk about De Gaulle as inciting Quebec people to leave Canada. For us we think De Gaulle as the leader of the Free French Forces during the WWII and then after this a great political man for France.   But it's thrue that "Vive le Quebec libre" was like a sting for English speaking Canada and British history with Acadian stories etc...   ;D

Xtian

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

Thanks to this clue and the list of all cunard ships, may I say Gallia

Strange as you talk about De Gaulle as inciting Quebec people to leave Canada. For us we think De Gaulle as the leader of the Free French Forces during the WWII and then after this a great political man for France.   But it's thrue that "Vive le Quebec libre" was like a sting for English speaking Canada and British history with Acadian stories etc...   ;D

Xtian

I concur with Xtian - S.S. Gallia
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:31 pm »

Hooray we got there at long last!!

I did not mean that he was inciting the people of Quebec to move elsewhere what he was doing was inciting them to  declare themselves independent, at a time when there was a lot of unrest in the Provence.

Indeed De Gaulle was a great statesman - for the French however, he was regarded as pain in the rear department by everyone else but, at least, he kept us out of the common market for long enough for most people to see the con it actually is.

To see that Cross of Lorraine emerge over the horizon as one travels down the E9 (?) towards Colombey-les-Deux-Églises is one of the most memorable sites I have seen though.

LB

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2012, 05:20:25 pm »

http://www.waughfamily.ca/Waugh/index.htm

See two thirds down the page above for some other images,
and these two below are from a university site search - not many images available

Dave

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

An easy one for next

Xtian

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2012, 08:45:11 am »

A clue ?

She's the "admiral ship" of a small sunny country where people are speaking English and a French Creole.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2012, 10:04:19 am »

Looks like the Mauritian Coast Guard ship Vigilant

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.