Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunker Barge  (Read 18607 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Bunker Barge
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:05:43 pm »

These are a few shots of the barge itself which would make a very interesting addition to any tug model, particularly a springer.

Any way, once again, I hope they are of use to someone.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bunker Barge
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:11:44 pm »

...and the last few:
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:58:05 pm »

Wonderful pics, a scale modeller`s dream , or in  my case nightmare. Thanks again, hope somebody will get some ideas here.
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:17:22 pm »

Any idea what the propulsion system is? It must need careful handling to avoid scratching the paint on the shiny cruise ships....

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:25 pm »

Colin

Surely it's pushed by the tug or have I missed the point here  :-\

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:07:27 pm »

That looks like a pilothouse perched on the back with a guy at the helm. Just because it's a barge doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't self propelled. It strikes me that it would be expensive to have a floating fuel tank which needs tugs to pull it around in this day and age, especially in a hi tech area like Florida - but maybe I'm wrong. Bunkerbarge will have the answer.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 10:09:59 pm »

The barge is pushed by the tug, as per the other thread and below, which is very manoeuvreable, so I'm not sure what is underneath that.  I could always ask next time!

The whole thing is actually very carefully positioned and the tyres do a good job of protecting the paint.  It is actually a very well organised set up, good equipment and very efficient.  We usually load 1000 tons in round about 2.5 hours.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:49 pm »

Bunkerbarge

Does the tug stay with the barge during refuelling or leave it and go off on another job? The latter would seem to be the most efficient way to utilise the tugs.

Colin

I suspect the 'pilot house' is the control point for the fuel pumps on the barge. I doubt it is one big tank and it may carry more than one product so control of discharge is probably critical. Also you need somewhere to dish out the mugs and cheap wine glasses in exchange for the green shield stamps for all that fuel  {-) {-)  O0

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 10:29:10 pm »

Actually it's egg on face time! I mistook the bridge of the tug for a construction on the barge! Just as well I'm arranging an eye test tomorrow!

It's interesting to see different practice on the oither side of the pond. In Southampton or Portsmouth you find bunkering tankers coming alongside the ships. They don't seem to stay long against the big ferries, 45 minutes max, so it may just be a top up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 10:35:57 pm »

So did I (and I've had my eye test some time ago) but there is a small cabin structure in the middle of the barge so you probably change your green shiled stamps their  :D

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:17 am »

Sometimes the tug remains with the barge and sometimes it goes off and does another jon in the meantime.  It must depend on what other jobs there are on during that day.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 07:36:16 pm »

I always understood that there was a facility at the front of some barges  for rudder steerage to aid on river bends etc.  I seem to recall reading something on Towboat Joe's site, or links from, some time ago. It could also have been on Moran Towing's.   I stand to be corrected.   ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.