Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311597 times)

Willit

Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #1000 on: March 19, 2008, 10:55:47 pm »

{-)

by the time the water has flowed fairly quick into the coil the boats out the bath and on the floor upside down!

djrobbo

« Reply #1001 on: March 20, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »

Hi willit...........in a previous life when i dabbled with the infernal conbustion thingys...........we put the pick up tube for the water a few millimetres behind the prop and within the propwash , this gauranteed water flow even when the boat was being held .

regards.....bob.

Willit

« Reply #1002 on: March 20, 2008, 03:29:11 pm »

Hi willit...........in a previous life when i dabbled with the infernal conbustion thingys...........we put the pick up tube for the water a few millimetres behind the prop and within the propwash , this gauranteed water flow even when the boat was being held .

regards.....bob.

Hi Bob,

I have done this but it hasn't made that much difference!

Willit

« Reply #1003 on: March 20, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »

I think I've got it sorted now.  The water only goes up the pipes when the boat is underway but I'm sure it will work tomorrow when I try it.

Heres pics of the set up.

Mr Andy

« Reply #1004 on: March 20, 2008, 08:49:04 pm »

I put mine in yesterday for the first time, apart from teething problems and hot motors which I will need to cool I have no complaint.
Mine has twin independant K's and 500 motors, photos attached I hope.

All the best Andy.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1005 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:36 pm »

Willit, a couple of points not related to the water-cooling exactly but it will help with cooling the motor. Drill a couple or four holes on the mount to match the holes on the face of the motor. Make sure you have large radius bends on the silicon water tube and that they dont get kinked or narrowed for any reason.  Check for debris, seeds or sand etc in the coil from time to time by blowing through it.   Your antenna looks far too short unless you have a plug to the rest of it. Make sure the propeller shaft is full of grease.  Some floatation might be wise too. Sink happens !
..well can you land on this?

Willit

« Reply #1006 on: March 20, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »

Willit, a couple of points not related to the water-cooling exactly but it will help with cooling the motor. Drill a couple or four holes on the mount to match the holes on the face of the motor. Make sure you have large radius bends on the silicon water tube and that they dont get kinked or narrowed for any reason.  Check for debris, seeds or sand etc in the coil from time to time by blowing through it.   Your antenna looks far too short unless you have a plug to the rest of it. Make sure the propeller shaft is full of grease.  Some floatation might be wise too. Sink happens !

thanks for the tips Arrow.

By your commenting on them I take it you think the bends are too sharp in the pipe? 
I need to grease the shaft, but that will be done.

And I think I shall take up your idea about the motor bracket holes.  The motor already has some pretty big holes in it but a couple more won't hurt!

The antenna is indeed continued into the superstructure.

thankyou!  Will sort it all out tomorrow and report back.

Willit

« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2008, 11:39:51 pm »

tested boat today, water cooling is working well and the motor is kept cool, or at least a little bit warm.  I'm tempted to fit an ESC to replace the mechanical Tamiya doodad its got now.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1008 on: March 23, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »

Here we are first view of the steam springer (if I have pushed the right buttons and attached the pics) the engine is a flat twin 1/2 inch bore and stoke, single acting. The boiler will sit almost ontop (if I have got my sums right). And also progress on the electric one. Right back to the workshop.

Steamed up all the time

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1009 on: March 23, 2008, 04:16:15 pm »

Verrrrry Niiiicccce Phil, lovely construction details.  Where is the coal bunker?

chingdevil

« Reply #1010 on: March 23, 2008, 07:15:29 pm »

Phil
Is the steam one just a straight runner or are you going to put R/c into it??

Brian

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2008, 09:06:53 pm »

Hi Brian
At pesent the plan is just to put put a servo on the rudder, however it proves a little to un controlable then a little straight runner it shall become. I will post pics of the boiler set-up tomorrow along with the blowlamp.
Phil
Steamed up all the time

Willit

« Reply #1012 on: March 23, 2008, 10:41:12 pm »

wow Phil thats looking rather splendid!  I'm afraid you have rather inspired me to have a go at my own.  I reckon a Wilesco V-twin would go in quite well.  Smaller boiler needed though :P

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1013 on: March 24, 2008, 08:07:49 pm »

Have a go Willit, at least there will be two of use able to keep warm at the pondside (plus bonus burgers) have a look at the pic, this shows how the boiler will be fitted (its just sort of resting there while I work on the pipework) You can also see the petrol blowlamp (small though it is). I have posted some more bits in the steam section.
And I have a name for it as well (and this has keep me giggling for ages) I'm going to call it Bruce, which of course is short for (wait for it)" Bruce Spring-Steam !!!!!
Steamed up all the time

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1014 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:10 pm »

Bruce Spring-Steam !!!!!   {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)    O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #1015 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:27 pm »

Phil

That is bad! Bruce Spring Steam, Groan, Groan.

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1016 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06:15 am »

Groan too, how about "Streamer" ?

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1017 on: March 25, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »

I like that, so has anybody else got a great name for a semi flash steam springer. Put your thinking caps on.
Steamed up all the time

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1018 on: March 25, 2008, 03:32:06 pm »

Dont anybody say "Flasher" :o

Willit

« Reply #1019 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:07 pm »

Have a go Willit, at least there will be two of use able to keep warm at the pondside (plus bonus burgers) have a look at the pic, this shows how the boiler will be fitted (its just sort of resting there while I work on the pipework) You can also see the petrol blowlamp (small though it is). I have posted some more bits in the steam section.
And I have a name for it as well (and this has keep me giggling for ages) I'm going to call it Bruce, which of course is short for (wait for it)" Bruce Spring-Steam !!!!!

thats looking somewhat amazing Phil, can't wait to see it roaring at 23 knots across the lake, all manner of waterfowl proceeding ahead of it.   ;)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1020 on: March 26, 2008, 01:38:27 pm »

From a secret location in the north, stealth Springer has float test. Too much ice for motoring. Suitable "Swedish" looking weather.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1021 on: March 26, 2008, 02:04:06 pm »

How many servos were needs to activate the gun that pops out of the fore deck?  ::)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1022 on: March 26, 2008, 03:41:46 pm »

Military secret...cant tell you. :-X   No ballistics involved but you might need gene therapy after it is activated if you catch my drift. :police: ???. :-\ ??? :embarrassed:

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #1023 on: March 26, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »

Military secret...cant tell you. :-X   No ballistics involved but you might need gene therapy after it is activated if you catch my drift. :police: ???. :-\ ??? :embarrassed:
Surely if you tell him you'll have to shoot him.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1024 on: March 26, 2008, 04:04:43 pm »

No ballistics I said...it is irridation, gets you right between the jeans every time :(
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.