Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311585 times)

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #500 on: August 09, 2007, 01:19:22 pm »

Hi Arrow5, mine is going to be a replica of the Modelslipway Alkhubar as built for me by Graham Walker at Themodeldock.
The one thats on his front page.  My key idea is to build a wheelhouse form plasticard painted in the same colour scheme (Lada and Vauxhal blues) with detail finish glued on. I'm going to make all the handrails from soldered brass rod.

It's for my lad who's only 4. It's to stop him touching dads !!!  I am using it to test my skills - after having the Model slipway kit in the attic for 2 years I had to surrender and get Graham to build that.  The springer seems less taxing and a fellow Mayhemer has built me a wonderfull hull on which to mount my effort for superstructure/wheelhouse.
Thanks for the sizings on stairs, I should be able to use this as a base when scaling the rest of the build.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2007, 01:27:59 pm »

....oh yes, "its for my son", yeah heard that one before !  Good UK-ish subject as opposed to the very Yank towboats.  Like you I have a few unfinished projects in the loft ! I see that wingertaz has a few nice items on eBay this week. I dont see any steps this time.  You could also try Reade Model Fittings who have a link on Mayhem traders list. Post some pics on Mayhem when you make some progress, just to keep interest going on Springers.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2007, 12:11:47 pm »

Any Springer updates ?????  Only a couple of weeks till Loch Insh if you fancy a Highland break. Fun float for any boat but we want Springers for a footy game, any takers ?   Coastguard buoy-layer Springer nearly ready. My mate Sandy is working on his "Spreep", might have an outrunner for power...eeeek !

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #503 on: August 23, 2007, 07:48:50 pm »

Any Springer updates ????? 
My mate Sandy is working on his "Spreep", might have an outrunner for power...eeeek !

Ok Arrow, here is one for you...
Mustang Sally, a BRONC style US Navy docking tug... just completed and tested today.
She has a 3 1/2" prop in a 4" kort powered by a 12v pittman motor..
.. oh.. and a bow thruster too...  :D  :o

"Outrunner".. bahhh!.. Mustang Sally pulls 4lb 4oz (nearly 2 kilo)  :P

chingdevil

« Reply #504 on: August 23, 2007, 08:42:27 pm »

Toes
It may not be a true springer, but that is one hell of a nice model. The first one I have seen in grey, very nice.
You do not live near Vegas do you?  I could have come and seen it run in three weeks time ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #505 on: August 23, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »

WoW!  What a bruser! ::)

Glad that thing's on the other side of the pond!  ;D

How about a picture of the internals please?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #506 on: August 24, 2007, 02:01:31 am »

Toes
It may not be a true springer, but that is one hell of a nice model. The first one I have seen in grey, very nice.
You do not live near Vegas do you?  I could have come and seen it run in three weeks time ;D ;D ;D

Hi Ching
We are about 4 hours drive (on a good day) West of Vegas heading towards LA..
http://www.inlandnauticalsociety.com/
..though there are some boat clubs in the Vegas area.. ;)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #507 on: August 24, 2007, 02:16:49 am »

How about a picture of the internals please?

Twin speed controls, one for the main motor (12v) and one for the bow thruster(6v). There is a small pump under the electronics board that cools the two ESC's.

The motor / prop shaft is toothed belt driven so i can get the batteries low and on their side in the bottom of the hull.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2007, 02:16:26 pm »

Quite a tidy setup there!

Where do you find the belt drive units? Probably much quiter than the plastic geared units I'm using at present.

The Springer fleet just continues to grow!

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2007, 04:01:16 pm »

Quite a tidy setup there!

Where do you find the belt drive units? Probably much quiter than the plastic geared units I'm using at present.

The Springer fleet just continues to grow!

The gears / belt dive came from Stock Drive Products https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ and is a 1:1 setup.. they do different gears / size belts to get any gear ratio you want.  ;)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #510 on: August 24, 2007, 10:11:54 pm »

Top notch Toes , another tour de force. Nice engineering and electrics.  Remind me NEVER to show the internals of my Springers. Have you pic of the real USN (?) one that yours is based on. It would fit in hand luggage when you visit the old country again, hint !

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #511 on: August 24, 2007, 10:26:54 pm »

Remind me NEVER to show the internals of my Springers. Have you pic of the real USN (?) one that yours is based on. It would fit in hand luggage when you visit the old country again, hint !

Oh.. you mean we shouldnt ask to see your birds nest... erm... electrics Arrow?..

At some stage i will be making it back accross the pond so i might just be able to fit a Springer in my hand luggage.. though what the TSA / Airline would make of all the electronics is frightening!!!

I have some pics of the USN versions of  BRONC's that Mustang Sally was modelled on.. though there are several versions. This is the one i chose to use..

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #512 on: August 24, 2007, 11:23:17 pm »

...looks real!  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #513 on: August 26, 2007, 09:15:56 pm »

...looks real!  :o
  Very droll Martin. ::)    From a secrect establishment near a certain Highland loch comes sneak pics of two Springers under construction. One is standard hull with discarded toy Caterpiller bulldozer cab,  "Springing Cat" by Malcolm Jacob.   A bit more radical but also using a child`s Action Man jeep top to look like and amphibious vehicle. The "Spreep" is by Sandy Murray and may be powered by an outrunner.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2007, 11:02:48 am »

My first attempt at scratch building. Great fun. No measurements to follow, just use the eye, even if one looks the other way.  ;)

I plan to add shapes as I go along to make it look the part. Balconies and steps etc.  Then there is the painting, but I won't go into that. My Wife says to use a bright colour, so that we can see it when it goes under water.   :)

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »

Good one Kenny.....try yellow for the pessimist in the family !  A detail for you, cut the bottom of the push-knees to follow the hull bottom line ie upwards at about 45 degrees. Opinion has it that they may trap a goodly chunk of the bow-wave and let it ride up onto the deck when at speed. I`m inclined to subscribe to the theory. I`ve got mine above the waterline. More pics when on the water please. Any more Springers in your area ?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #516 on: August 27, 2007, 10:26:18 pm »

I thought you all might like to see the new family portraits from the toesup boat werks (California USA Division)...

We have...

Tigger: 'Standard Springer'.. A British Thames River version
Templeton: 'Standard Springer'.. An 'old School' version
Scoot: 'Super Springer'.. A modern tractor tug version
Mustang Sally: ' :o :o :o :o Springer'... A Navy BRONC version

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2007, 11:36:17 am »

Excellent idea Arrow5. I like yellow. Shall remove the edges as you suggest as I was getting a bow wave.

They are certainly fun to drive on the lake  (as long as you go forwards !) They are so solid you can do anything with them.  ;D

toesupwa, Your selection of Springers are superb. Gives us all something to aim for. Well done.

Cheers...Ken

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #518 on: August 28, 2007, 12:43:29 pm »

Kenny and everybody else, Ive just maidened the Springberry with batteries pretty well aft AND about 2 degrees of up-thrust on the prop-shaft. Boy does she squat down at the rear end, observe the wave at the stern.  The high "dam" bow is not required with this set-up. Next one will have rounded edges at front to reduce drag and improve(?) flow round bow.     Edit; seems I`ve put same pic on twice , sorry....look at it in 3D for full effect :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #519 on: September 03, 2007, 02:45:47 pm »

A couple of pics of the 2 most powerfull Springers in the world.. taken at the INS pool yesterday at Riverside, Ca..  O0

By the way, it was 'only' 113 degrees F here yesterday...  :-\

Kmot

« Reply #520 on: September 03, 2007, 05:35:13 pm »

By the way, it was 'only' 113 degrees F here yesterday...  :-\
Ah, but it is a 'dry' heat! lol.....  ;D

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #521 on: September 03, 2007, 05:39:43 pm »

over here its about 60F, maybe 70
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #522 on: September 03, 2007, 06:30:40 pm »

What kind of power and machinery does the the real thing have?

Martin

I have some pics of the USN versions of  BRONC's that Mustang Sally was modelled on.. though there are several versions. This is the one i chose to use..

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #523 on: September 03, 2007, 08:29:04 pm »

Upper Speyside Shipbuilders had a test day on a bright but windy day last weekend.  Tug-Kenny see one in yellow, the "Wildcat" by Malcolm.  Sandy`s "Spreep" both using child`s toy tops. Arrow Division had the usual selection (3) with the two spare tops.  Some polo practise and a foray out of the sheltered bay and round the jetty to test seaworthiness and a load of flat batteries. Sept 8-9th they will be back awaiting a challenge from all takers in a fun "Splash-In" on Loch Insh (6 miles south of Aviemore). Everybody welcome.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #524 on: September 03, 2007, 08:33:15 pm »

Very nice Arrow.

I had a spare tin of Fire Red and sprayed the cabin all over.

Will have to build some sort of fire boat now.   ;D

Pictures to follow

Ken

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.