Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311498 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #700 on: November 27, 2007, 03:55:59 pm »

I`ve got a feeling that Toesup will putting his two cents in soon.......if he`s sleepless in Seatle, well Washington State.
..well can you land on this?

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #701 on: November 27, 2007, 04:20:46 pm »

Hi Glenn

I think the prop shaft position is set to give clearence to the prop from the underside of the hull. Remember it should be as close as possible level in the hull. I have read that the skeg is not important unless you are going to play football, saying that both of mine have a skeg fitted it helps to put the prop further back and support the prop tube. The position of the rudder should be so the rear edge of it is just forward from the stern of the springer. The maximum size of the prop for a standard springer is set at 1 1/2 old money, about 38mmm. A bigger prop will put it into the super springer section.

I do have some drawings, in CAD format of my first springer, if you want printouts of them PM me your snail mail address.

If you need any more information, just ask.

Perfect, many thanks for the reply. Oh, this one would not qualify for mega springer never mind anything else! The prop that's going on is 74mm, the plan is to use the boat for recovery purposes only.

Sure it is going to rapidly get many hours on it as it might end up doubling up as a kids play boat down the lake. Still, if it brings some new blood into the hobby, then all is good.

Glenn

Brian

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #702 on: November 27, 2007, 04:39:56 pm »

I would like to know prop shaft position please, also, is the rudder position critical and is the "keel" for want of better description, that I have seen on some models required?

By the way, if anyone is interested, planning on running large prop on mine and have geared down drive to fit. (Belts and pulleys)

I here Arrow... and still in Ca..

Prop shaft angle isnt critical, just get the motor in the right place, the prop in the right place (with clearance) and then line the shaft between the two... Arrow seems to have got it right with a touch of 'up'..  :P
Rudder position also isnt critical, just get the L/E of the rudder close to the prop.. and dont let the rudder overhang behind the stern.. :'(
No, the 'keel' isnt really required and can be cut back to a minimum, just enough to support the shaft..
How bigger prop are you going to be running?.. Scoot has a 2 1/4" prop (backed by a 12v motor) and Mustang Sally has a 3 3/4" prop, again backed by a (geared) 12v motor

Some pics.. note the cut back 'skeg / keel'

chingdevil

« Reply #703 on: November 27, 2007, 06:58:22 pm »

Although I have said to get the prop as close to level as possible I am not sure it is too critical, bearing in mind the shape of the hull. One of my springers has a slightly higher motor to prop and the other has a level prop, both dive to varying degrees. A lot of the diving problem is due to speed, 1/4 to 1/2 speed on both of mine no problem look good increase the speed above this and down goes the bow. In fact the little darlings at the Warwick show managed to get water in side "chingdevil" (Pepsi Can) and this has a 25mm coaming inside the superstructure, something I had not managed.

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #704 on: November 28, 2007, 10:41:52 am »

Yeah, we need a report on Springer going-ons at Warwick >>:-(

djrobbo

« Reply #705 on: November 28, 2007, 01:19:01 pm »

Hi guys....i found that moving the batteries backwards about an inch solved the problem of diving . she sits a little lower at the stern but not terrible.
    i run a legalsize three blade prop from a 540 motor direct drive , this is powered by two six volt gell cells wired in , whatever it is to still give you 6 volts but twice the run time etc.. She will now take full throttle without diving  O0. Used her the other week to rescue a 4 foot wood perkasa , she pushed that home with no trouble

regards.....bob.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #706 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:54 pm »

Has anyone made a Springer Submarine?... 0n purpose O0

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #707 on: November 28, 2007, 04:33:48 pm »

Has anyone made a Springer Submarine?... 0n purpose O0

Someone... somewhere... is.. erm... working on just that... erm..  ::)

chingdevil

Springers at Warwick
« Reply #708 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:47 pm »

As the Arrow5 Clan is getting restless Springers At Warwick

There were only four springers at the show, my two Chingdevil and Lady Linda. Steamboatphil had his one there but it never got wet, there was also on on the Northampton Model Boat Club stand that also stayed dry. On the Saturday and Sunday they have a let the kids have ago time. I let them use both my springers on the Saturday and Chingdevil on the Sunday, I fried the 540 motor of Lady Linda on Saturday so she just sat on the stand smelling for the rest of the show.
Nomustangmark thought it was great fun when Linda stopped we both thought the batteries were flat, lifted the superstructure to turn the reciever off, oh look smoke! When we had finished using Chingdevil and it was out of the water the bottom of the boat was quite warm, this is what I think fried Lady Lindas motor, I am now going to fit cooling coils to both of them. I was asked quite a few time where people could get a kit for the boats, I am thinking about that one. I did give out some plans of how Chingdevil is made.

It was a great weekend, forget the loss of a motor that is only loose change the kids thought it was great fun using these boats. If we have a Mayhem stand there next year, we should try and have some more springers not just for the kids time but anytime, there was always space on the pools.

The show overall is good but it can get packed, particularly on the Friday. I am going next year need to think up a new design for a springer, might even have my other pusher tug finished.

These are the springers that were at Warwick, I know it is not a springer but the last picture is my pusher tug that is on the slipway

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #709 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:18 pm »

Thanks Ching.......MacSpringer Clan retreat...er advancing back to the hills.  Last pic has a twin, more on that development after Santa has been.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #710 on: December 10, 2007, 07:42:22 pm »

"Last pic has a twin" belay that statment :o  Changed my mind and used the makings into a barge :embarrassed:

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #711 on: December 11, 2007, 05:52:21 pm »

Loch Insh had a slight freeze last night( -5 c.) which left a thin layer of ice in parts so the "Maid" went ice breaking. To see how/if she got free go to www.putfile.com/arrow5

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #712 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:16 pm »

Hello there Arro5, good to see the Springers are made of tough stuff. You must be mad to jepordise the "Maid".  I note that you've now installed a proper method of directional running control raher than the hap hazard way at Greenock in June. More fun to be had tomorrow for you if the ice comes to be as bad again. Were I to have one built iI for one would not be venturing out with the wind which is forecast for here. A pleasure to watch your videos please keep them coming.

cheers 

Jim  O0

p.s. Look at the tag line for a link to the localairport webcam
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #713 on: December 12, 2007, 04:12:16 am »

That video is a hoot Arrow  O0

You need a Kontio or Nordica springer top for that work...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #714 on: December 12, 2007, 01:34:25 pm »

Umi; there is another shorter video added, I like it better.     Jim; I noted your relocation to 60N. Yep got partial control of boats now, on legit freq too :angel:, even got throttle control (whatever that is) still think the nut behind the sticks is the problem. Enjoyed the links to webcams, gey dreich the day(wed 12noon).  What about your brace of Springers ( for kids HAH!) got them finished yet, he he. They will be Northern Isles profile I hope or Norwegian ?  Be sure to drop in if you are passing on the way south via Inverness AirportO0.  BTW it thawed last night, no ice fun today.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #715 on: December 12, 2007, 07:50:51 pm »

The sound of the ice being crushed is the best part.
I know so many modelers that wouldn't do this because of fears of
scratching the paint, or slicing the hull.

Just watching that makes me want to build an Ice Breaker...

8)

(Aaargh, no more pojects!!)

chingdevil

« Reply #716 on: December 12, 2007, 11:03:52 pm »

Springers make perfect ice breakers there shape means they ride up on the ice and then break through. This is the easiest way to clear ice, even large ships tend to rise up on the ice before breaking it, they never plow straight through it

Brian

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #717 on: December 13, 2007, 12:14:47 am »

if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #718 on: December 13, 2007, 01:41:44 am »

Here is an icebreaker for you Umi....

http://www.ulsteingroup.com/kunder/ulstein/mm.nsf/inpdocuments/DEE78DB938D2795BC12572880036975A/$file/ULSTEIN_S118.pdf

You are cruel...  >:(

That is a good looking ship... :-\

Perhaps I just put that PDF in a folder somewhere...  ::)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #719 on: December 13, 2007, 03:47:33 am »

cruel? me?  ;D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #720 on: December 13, 2007, 09:44:33 am »

Boatmad; you are wicked ! Very interesting site, my favourite is the S118 and it is in grey.    The SX 116 would be a model engineering challenge with folding front power pod etc.  Wonder if I`ve got enough blue foam to Springerize the shape a little....nah, just dreaming :-\

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #721 on: December 18, 2007, 11:20:38 am »

Water conditions perfect for a game today, bright sun, no wind.....anyone for ice hockey ?

Mr Andy

« Reply #722 on: December 19, 2007, 10:13:29 pm »

I'm building myself a Springer I'm using twin korts on mine, I've just been looking at all the planned compo's and I'm going to have to build another at a later date, so damn the lot of you for starting this Springer thread O0 I hope it takes off in the UK as it sounds as if it is going to be fun :)

All the best Andrew.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #723 on: December 19, 2007, 10:27:44 pm »

Lets see some pics Andrew.

I am doing a twin kort version as well, see boatmadman's superspringer

Ian

Mr Andy

« Reply #724 on: December 19, 2007, 11:56:10 pm »

I will post some as it comes along, I won't get my nozzles till next year the ones in the shop were too large. Some sanding to do tomorrow to get the filler down.

Andy. O0
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.