Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311529 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #725 on: December 20, 2007, 01:08:22 pm »

Welcome to the cult Andy, I found this handy PDF from the North West r/c Ship Modellers site by Allan Wing, might be useful to all contemplating getting infected. http://nwrcsm.freeyellow.com/BuildingSpringer.pdf
..well can you land on this?

Mr Andy

« Reply #726 on: December 20, 2007, 04:51:58 pm »

I'm thinking of gassing the hull along the bottom and as high as the water mark, then putting a crash strip above it, then painting over the hardened glass with car underseal what do others think of that idea?

Andy. :)

Stavros

« Reply #727 on: December 20, 2007, 06:38:11 pm »

No No No don't do it.As a paint sprayer take advice don't do it.Just use Halfords acrylic paint it is hardwearing enough.Underseal will look poo poo

Stavros

Mr Andy

« Reply #728 on: December 20, 2007, 06:56:52 pm »

OK I wont glass at all I 'll just paint it over with reisin and glass around all the inside seams. O0

Andy  :)

Mr Andy

« Reply #729 on: December 20, 2007, 07:40:36 pm »

Here are a few pictures so far the last picture shows where I have put the glue and where the fibre glass will be going. When I buy the RC gear I will post some more.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #730 on: December 20, 2007, 09:43:54 pm »

Thanks for the link I'll  be devouring the pages as we speak

cheeers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #731 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:04 am »

So there will be a brace of "Shetlingers" coming soon Red  ::)?????     Andy, coming along nicely O0

Mr Andy

« Reply #732 on: December 21, 2007, 05:10:37 pm »

I just hope I can do a tidy job of the super structure, try and get it finished before the end of January. And for anyone contemplating it a wall paper stripper is brilliant for steaming the underside wood to shape. O0

Andy. ;)

Mr Andy

« Reply #733 on: December 21, 2007, 07:31:04 pm »

Boredom struck hard a while ago, so I opted to do something about it, the hull has had a first coat of resin it's slightly red in colour, I will fibre glass the joins inside tomorrow, and then give the out side another coat, it would be nice to be able to paint the lower hull by next weekend or sooner.

Andy.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #734 on: December 21, 2007, 10:11:42 pm »

~Hello all, Arrow5 yes the progress is good tomorrow sees the cutting out of the sides  and then we'll see where we go from there.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #735 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:12 pm »

Boredom struck hard a while ago, so I opted to do something about it, the hull has had a first coat of resin it's slightly red in colour, I will fibre glass the joins inside tomorrow, and then give the out side another coat, it would be nice to be able to paint the lower hull by next weekend or sooner.
Andy.

.........shouldn't the prop shaft have been fitted by now?   :-\

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mr Andy

« Reply #736 on: December 21, 2007, 11:57:39 pm »

No shafts at the moment I will order my Kort nozzles in the New Year and get my shafts and props and basicaly everything else together, after tomorrow work will regretably come to a halt for a short while. Remember this is all new to me so I'm bound to foul up somewhere.

djrobbo

« Reply #737 on: December 22, 2007, 12:58:46 pm »

Hi guys...gonna take my rescue springer out for a spin sunday...hope to see stavros , and say hello........its nice to see in the pictures a few bottles of the neccesary elbow oil laying around.........i find they help the thought process quite a lot......

looking good.....and yes the wallpaper stripper gets more use in the shed than it ever has indoors O0 {-)

best wishes and seasons greetings...............bob.

Mr Andy

« Reply #738 on: December 22, 2007, 07:21:09 pm »

Yes one of the best things that have been bought wall paper stripper does more of everything else bar stripping wallpaper, and bottled beer helps just a bit. {-) {-)

Andy. ;)

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #739 on: December 23, 2007, 02:36:00 am »

Hi Andy

Your Springer is looking fine! :)

Is this to be twin screw with kort nozzles? The reason I ask is that If I had mine to do again, I would consider a smaller skeg / keel. The longer and fuller keel makes my boat track straight however, it does not turn as nimbly as I would have liked.  I imagine you might be aiming for that with twin korts.

Just a thought.  All the best...

Another Andy :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #740 on: December 23, 2007, 07:54:08 am »

Mr Andy

Just looking at your pics...
If you are making yours as a twin with korts, why is there only one skeg and not two.. one to support each prop / shaft?...

Mr Andy

« Reply #741 on: December 23, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

Thank you as I have said all new to me not being very ship minded in the building department.
Something like this I was aiming for,

And here is the Springer in the bath

All the best Andy. :) ;)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #742 on: December 23, 2007, 01:02:10 pm »

MrAndy, any more pics of that full-size boat ? 

Mr Andy

« Reply #743 on: December 23, 2007, 03:26:05 pm »

Here she is mate sorry no bow on piccies not possible, she has now been moved in side no idea if she is Holyhead Towings new boat or in for refurbishment for her owners.

Andy.

chingdevil

« Reply #744 on: December 23, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

Andy

If you are fitting Korts, why have you fitted a skeg? I thought a skeg or "A" support was only needed for prop tubes. Surely that will not do anything but give you a problem in turning tightly?

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #745 on: December 24, 2007, 09:01:28 am »

Thanks MrAndy. That is a great vessel for a very-near-to-scale Springer. At last a true UK prototype.  Do the pre-refurb version, all rust and missing paint etc. What a challenge.  Re centre skeg...knock it off and do the two shafts with very small skegs and A-frame supports as everybody says. If the centre skeg is firmly fitted , reduce it to a small stumpy triangle.  I also like the angle along the bilge-line but keep the bilge-keels off.  Buy some "rust" for Xmas. O0

Mr Andy

« Reply #746 on: December 24, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »

The skeg is only held on with glue any problems it will be given a polite tap with a mallet, I'll leave it on for now, trial and error as they say. I was looking at 50 mm Korts but I'm sure they will ber far to big been advised to go down to 40 mm. :)

Andy.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #747 on: December 24, 2007, 09:32:45 pm »

Hello all, well I've fnially got around to it  ;D and got the bandsaw into a production  ;D Now there are not one or two but Three. Yes my friends Three,  as Arrow5 has kindly named them, "Shetlinger" Springers on the building blocks. Once I get around to doing things then the bug bites and bites hard. After moving home in July there have been so many other priorities to attend to that the last thing I could get to is boat building. So as I mentioned earlier it was a case of making a template for the sides to make them all the same. This then led me to thinking about the assembly area and the construction of a table to do the assembly on. I decided on a height of 40" on 3x3"legs and supporting an 8'x4' top on 5x2" battens. That little project took all of yesterday afternoon but was so satisfying  O0 ;D ;D I'll be posting pictures of the start of the project after tomorrow. AS you'll appreciate tomorrow is definitely a family day with no interruptions, hey ho or  should that be a ho ho ho? Anyway there is almost two more weeks of holiday and shed time left before work interrupts again.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas

cheers

Jim

Mr Andy

« Reply #748 on: December 24, 2007, 09:45:05 pm »

Listen here Jim if I go and repair my boat tomorrow, I want no excuses off you either, when you've had enough of turkey can't eat another morcel of pudding, go get started on the tug's, I'll be thinking of you. O0 O0

Andy. ;)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #749 on: December 24, 2007, 10:23:39 pm »

hi all this might seam daft but what the difference between a springer tug and a regular tug. merry Christmas to you all john
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.