Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311600 times)

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #750 on: December 24, 2007, 10:54:06 pm »

Hello John, well the Springer has developed initially in the NW of USA  asa single tightly controlled  class which has since been adopted in the ~UK . There are the deriviatives ofthe Super Springers which fall out of the tight control specs.  They arre purely for FUN  ;D

Tugs are generally of all shapes and sizes with scale features and can be equally as much fun and you'll generally fing true tuggies have both . One for serious fun conventional tugs and a Springer or two for FUN  O0

cheers

Jim

p.s now go  and build a SPringer for some FUN   O0
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

Mr Andy

« Reply #751 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:07 pm »

I  was in contact via PM on Ships Nostalgia the other day with the gentleman who gave us the Springer tug, he was rather taken by their popularity.

Andy. :)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #752 on: December 25, 2007, 09:21:16 am »

thanks Jim one more question is it the shape of the hull that make it a springer tug. Are you free to do want you want with the superstructure IE a tug wheel House or may me a liner wheel house etc . john

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #753 on: December 25, 2007, 11:26:41 am »

... Ho Ho Ho Guys...

A Merry Xmas to All On the Forum... I hope Santa brought lots of boatie type presents to you all...

cos918, The springer topsides can be whatever you want it to be as long as the hull is the correct measurments & shape...Also in the proper class you are restricted to a certain size of motor, prop & rudder set up...
If you go to the start of this massive posting you should find the rules & a wee plan there...

......................Best Regards.......Norry.......Ho...Ho...Ho...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Mr Andy

« Reply #754 on: December 25, 2007, 12:37:23 pm »

And a wallpaper stripper is ideal to steam the bottom into the correct shape if your only using one piece.

Andy. ;)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #755 on: December 28, 2007, 10:09:41 am »

So whose currently building what in the way of Springer tugs then?
What plans do we have for building one next year? (2008)

Me? I'm planing to build a Dr Who themed Springer and possibly a Tank Springer based on a cheap RC Tank off ebay with working gun!  8)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

djrobbo

« Reply #756 on: December 28, 2007, 01:55:01 pm »

HI martin....have got one springer up and running at the moment.......am making a couple more with faces from the t.v program TUGS...for the kids to have a go with....not sure whether to make them standard springers or go for super springers........should have about 4 by the time the weather gets better....

regards.....bob

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #757 on: December 28, 2007, 02:32:37 pm »

Hi Martin, just in from the garage where I've built a jig to make the sheet bending for the hull a lot easier. Considering there are three lots of hull sides in preparation at the moment. I aim to have all three ready for Easter . This should give me plenty of time to complete them by then. If the jig works out I'll let you into the method ( or maybe, madness of doing it this way.

cheers for now

(back to the workshop with a coffee)

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #758 on: December 28, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »

So whose currently building what in the way of Springer tugs then?

I currently have Mk 5 and Mk 6 drawn out and marked on to a piece of 1/4" ply ready to cut out..
Mk 5 will be....
Mk 6 will be...

.. just wait and see...  :P

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #759 on: December 28, 2007, 04:55:14 pm »

I`ve just started a stretched version, same width but about 8" longer. Planning twin motors, top shape to be decided (who said aircraft carrier?). Might knock-up a couple of barges too, depends on what is available at my local source (village dump).   Hope a lot of "regulation" Springers appear so we can all have some games.
..well can you land on this?

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #760 on: December 28, 2007, 05:47:23 pm »

Hi all,

With regard to holding the bottom in place while the glue dries.

I edge glue 1 1/2" inch strips of deal together to make up the sides. When dry, I then mark the hull shape onto this board leaving at least half an inch on the off cut side. I then cut through the line carefully to produce the side pieces. Then I glue the sides to the bow and stern pieces and leave to dry. (probably as every one else does so far).

I then glue up and position the bottom board. To hold it all in position, I just use one pin on either side at the deepest point and then G clamp the off cuts back to the original board positions with the bottom sandwiched in between. This system leaves no awkward angles as the whole thing becomes a rectangular board again. To hold the leading edge in position I screw a temporary scrap of wood under the hull through the bottom to the front cross piece. At the stern, I use a scrap piece of wood just clamped in position.

At the moment, I am just finishing a yet another standard Springer for a friend, and then I want to make a stretched version a previously mentioned "Springalong" or "Springerlong" Not sure of the spelling. I have a toy working crane I think would look great sat on top.

Bob

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #761 on: December 29, 2007, 02:01:27 pm »

Hi BobF, I`m having "Springalong" >>:-(... you can have "Springerlong" >:(   Funny you should mention a crane, sounds like a good variation. I`ve got a toy tower-crane that I thought would look good  dismantled on a barge.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #762 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:26 pm »

HI martin....have got one springer up and running at the moment.......am making a couple more with faces from the t.v program TUGS...for the kids to have a go with....not sure whether to make them standard springers or go for super springers........should have about 4 by the time the weather gets better....

regards....bob...

...Hi djrobbo...

Watch what you are doing regarding copying any of ERTL,s characters...

My Father & I built a Thomas The Tank Engine on top of a sit on Lawnmower & they made us cut it up or they were going to sue us....It was used at Church Fetes to raise funds...

I am planning on building another top for Wee Johnny,s Super Springer similar to a character with a turning head...

I will probably build another couple next year for the kids to play football with...

...Best Regards...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #763 on: December 29, 2007, 03:45:33 pm »

Hi arrow5

OK so "Springerlong it is then". Cheers.

The crane has been in a cupboard for about twenty years awaiting repair. It was my much younger brothers, and had an intermittent fault.
I was having a clear out and threw it in the bin, then realised it would be perfect for a springer.

Bob

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #764 on: December 29, 2007, 04:05:48 pm »

Hey Bob, check and see if your 20 year old crane isn't worth some money from the toy collecting fraternity. Some items of my youth that I lost or binned or swapped or just wore out are going for silly money on collectors sites.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #765 on: December 29, 2007, 04:10:51 pm »

Hi arrow5,

I now only have the crane part. It was originally mounted on a platform raised on four legs. A cable came away from this with a battery holder with controlls to make it turn and raise and lower the hook.
Thanks any way
Bob

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #766 on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:21 pm »

This was picked up for a couple of quid at a boot-sale, it even works just needed a couple of fresh batteries.  Bit big even for stretched Spinger but OK on a barge.

Big Ada

« Reply #767 on: December 29, 2007, 05:55:02 pm »

Hi Guys,
A small question if I may,can I run a pair of Springers/or other boats using 2 channels each on 1 x4channel TX if I put the same XTLS in each RX?   :-\  Len.

chingdevil

« Reply #768 on: December 29, 2007, 06:26:46 pm »

Martin

My new springer will look something like this picture and will involve a lot of water (I hope)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #769 on: December 29, 2007, 07:11:29 pm »

I reckon that WILL be a dry boat.

chingdevil

« Reply #770 on: December 29, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »

If you know where that is you know you are wrong.

Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #771 on: December 29, 2007, 08:51:04 pm »

Niagara Falls.... or Wales ?

chingdevil

« Reply #772 on: December 29, 2007, 09:19:32 pm »

Niagara Falls, Canadian side

Brian

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #773 on: December 29, 2007, 10:46:52 pm »

Hi Guys,
A small question if I may,can I run a pair of Springers/or other boats using 2 channels each on 1 x4channel TX if I put the same XTLS in each RX?   :-\  Len.

hi Len i am sure you can but both boat would need a 4 channel receiver on the same crystal. boat one would use channel 1 and 2 boat 2 would use channel 3 and 4 . It this type of set up i want to use on to 2 plastic kit conversion i am doing. john

djrobbo

« Reply #774 on: December 29, 2007, 11:27:56 pm »

HI NORRY.....allready thought of that...shouldn't be a problem as no money involved... they tend to get shirty if you are making money with them even for a charity...
     these will just be there when i'm there for kids to have a go with.......no money involved O0

regards......bob..
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.