Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1311616 times)

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #950 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:29 am »

Hello all, what can we call Steamboat phil in the nicest possible way hhmmm MAD  O0 Willit if you want I could supply an old petrol strimmer, no only joking but I bet there is someone out there looking to do just that.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #951 on: February 26, 2008, 10:41:06 am »

Where is it all going to end????? :o
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #952 on: February 26, 2008, 02:04:43 pm »

It will probably end with a BANG...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #953 on: February 27, 2008, 06:45:32 am »

I think you might be interested in a this Springer websites.  This is one of the best Springer-build logs that I have viewed so far.  His web name is SRY, he is an expert model builder from Hungary.  You will agree once you view his site:  http://springer.surmanzs.fotoalbum.hu/.   This is one of the most complete picture build log of a Springer.  He had 301 pictures with excellent detail.  They were so great that  I viewed all 301.....
ENJOY!   Ralph1937

http://springer.surmanzs.fotoalbum.hu/

Plans (CAD) and build guide (hungaryan  )
http://users.atw.hu/sry/walrus.htm

Short film:
http://videa.hu/play.php?v=3TrVGFkDQaTXpwFn

Home Page:
http://www.sry.atw.hu

SRY
(a hungaryan modeller)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #954 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:54 pm »

The Swedish Visby shipbuilders have a stealth corvette with nice futuristic lines (Read slab sided=easy build) so I reckoned the logical next step was a Visby tug. Started top, as is my wont , hull to follow, standard Springer,540 etc no Korts etc etc. To be named "Stringer".
..well can you land on this?

djrobbo

« Reply #955 on: February 27, 2008, 03:01:52 pm »

Hi arrow.....going along the same sort of lines with my next springer.........its a grey funnel line springvette  called h,m,s springberry :D..with a few depth harges on the back and a 4.5 gunn the front........should be good for a laugh {-) O0.

regards......bob.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #956 on: February 27, 2008, 05:14:15 pm »

Nyah Nyah copycat , you sure about the name ?   HMCG might be peeved  >>:-(   See it doing ice-breaking duties last month on www.putfile.com/Arrow5    A `vette well why not call it after the famous WWII "Flower" class "HMS Springflower" ;D 

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #957 on: February 27, 2008, 06:58:13 pm »

why not call it after the famous WWII "Flower" class "HMS Springflower" ;D 

Spring flower = 'Snowdrop'  :P

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #958 on: February 27, 2008, 07:32:55 pm »

Daffodil?

Big Ada

« Reply #959 on: February 28, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »

Croak-us?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #960 on: February 28, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »

Little weed?

djrobbo

« Reply #961 on: February 28, 2008, 09:42:39 pm »

LITTLE WEED  ? :(.......DANDELION AT LEAST , OR EVEN SPRINGING NETTLE :D O0

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #962 on: February 28, 2008, 10:13:16 pm »

Zebedee?  O0

Willit

« Reply #963 on: February 28, 2008, 11:35:40 pm »

I took the Springer up the road for a test run today, and I'm glad to say its behaving itself now.  It roared around for about 30 minutes before I flattened the battery!  I wasn't carrying a spare so had to go home.  The turning circle was good and the motor gave out a good top speed.  It did take a while for the boat to stop when you went astern but that all adds to the fun  ::)

What sort of run time do others get from their Springers?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #964 on: February 29, 2008, 03:30:08 am »

With a pair of 6v 4.5ah SLA's... ohhhh, 2-3 hours... depending on how much pushing they have to do...  :P

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #965 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:51 am »

djrob, how about "Stinger" since yours will be armed.  Or after a real ship of the past "HMS Striker"  O0  I went from Egypt to Cyprus on that one.  Got any pics so far ?

djrobbo

« Reply #966 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:24 am »

Hi arrow.......... >:(me and pccies dont seem to get on ! . I tried putting piccies of my other springer......fubar 1 on here ..and no matter what i do they won't go on.....think a new computor is called for :'(

regards.......bob.

Willit

« Reply #967 on: February 29, 2008, 11:17:49 pm »

With a pair of 6v 4.5ah SLA's... ohhhh, 2-3 hours... depending on how much pushing they have to do...  :P

unfortunately my one is flat out or nought, with little in between (it has a "slower" speed but its not that much slower!

Maybe I should invest in bigger batteries?

I was only using a 7.2v Ni-cad pack.

Willit

« Reply #968 on: March 01, 2008, 04:57:23 pm »

The maiden voyage was today and my camera died and I could only get stills but they show the boat working.

Unfortunately it all went a bit wrong on this maiden voyage.  My mate had bought a Dickie Tug and the RC on it was DIRE in the extreme.  Basically it died halfway out in the pond and the springer was quickly deployed to save it (range on Dickie was little more than three feet and the wind carried it).  I still hadn't realised quite how strong the Springer was and I hit the Dickie way to hard (remember my boat is flat out or nought) and knocked her on her beam ends.  Then the wind got up and very soon all that could be seen of poor Dickie was the red hull and the kort nozzle!  The Springer had no chance of pushing it in so it was brought back in and Willit was chucked in to push the upturned Dickie in.  It did so but full speed was required and eventually I destroyed the 380 motor, throwing a pole.  Although it got back to shore, it had a dead spot and previous experience caused me to write off the motor straight away  .  I'm now on the third motor!  The last one lasted half the time of the original one!

So it all went wrong 

My mate quickly dismantled Dickie on the pond side, drained all the water out, and put it back together.  We were surprised it wasn't full, the superstructure flooded of course but the hull had only a small amount in it, despite a total capsizing.  In the end we gave up on the Dickie, its now scheduled to come to me and have proper RC put in, a way of me apologising for capsizing his brand new boat!

Willit has just been remotored by me (I had spares fortunately).  I have replaced the 380 with a 480BB which as you can imagine has made a strong tug into a super duper strong tug.  Yayness.

Here are some pics of the Springer in action, as well as the ill Dickie. 

As soon as the new batteries are in the Springer, as well as the aerial (you can see the temp arrangement I made) it shall be declared finished.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #969 on: March 01, 2008, 06:21:50 pm »

...Hi Willit...
If both boats were on the same frequency say 40Mhz 0r 27 Mhz, the radio on your Springer would shut down the radio on the Dickie tug...

I am going to fit 6 volt decaperms in my Springers when i get round to building them as I have heard of a few motors being burned out...
It might be something to do with the flat bow on the Springer making it a bit much to push around for any length of time...

I am going to mould a couple of GRP Springer hulls then add the upperworks of the Dickie tugs to make 2 boats for kids to play with at our club...Hopefully they will go away home wanting to build a boat of their own & therefore we have a future in our hobby...

...All The Best...Norry..

chingdevil

« Reply #970 on: March 01, 2008, 06:33:09 pm »

Hi Norry

I have killed two 540's and a 380 motor in my springers. All new 540's fitted are now water cooled, yet to test them. I am not sure if it is the shape completely, because I have not heard of many problems with motors from Toesupwa and he has made quite a few. I think it might be more down to the type and shape of prop fitted to the springer. I would be interested to hear what others think.

Brian

Willit

« Reply #971 on: March 01, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »

...Hi Willit...
If both boats were on the same frequency say 40Mhz 0r 27 Mhz, the radio on your Springer would shut down the radio on the Dickie tug...

I am going to fit 6 volt decaperms in my Springers when i get round to building them as I have heard of a few motors being burned out...
It might be something to do with the flat bow on the Springer making it a bit much to push around for any length of time...

I am going to mould a couple of GRP Springer hulls then add the upperworks of the Dickie tugs to make 2 boats for kids to play with at our club...Hopefully they will go away home wanting to build a boat of their own & therefore we have a future in our hobby...

...All The Best...Norry..

I fear you misread my post Norry, the Dickie went out of range within three feet of its rubbish transmitter.  The Springer was sent in because, interference not withstanding, the Dickie was dead before I'd even reached to turn on my transmitter to rescue the dead Dickie with the Springer, if that makes sense lol.  The Springer's motor has not been wrecked, Willits has!  Fortunately its been replaced with the same type as the one in the Springer so it should be tougher.  Got to be careful with the throttle though, its got quite a bit more power now!

I really am fed up with radio frequencies.  Am I right in thinking that a boat on 27.145 will not interfere with one on 27.195?  Because the Dickie was the former and the Springer the latter.  Is that band just too narrow for them to work together?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #972 on: March 01, 2008, 11:18:21 pm »

I am not sure if it is the shape completely, because I have not heard of many problems with motors from Toesupwa and he has made quite a few. I think it might be more down to the type and shape of prop fitted to the springer. I would be interested to hear what others think.

In order...
540 19 turn watercooled in a standard springer 6v
540 can motor standard springer 6v
12v pittman in a super springer 12v, 2 1/4" prop
12v pittman in a super springer 12v, 3 3/4" prop
540 19 turn in a standard springer 6v

I've not had any problems with motors burning out. They get a bit warm running 75lb barges with the standard springers.. and 250lb barges with the super springers.
Free running without barges, i have no problems with heat issues at all

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #973 on: March 02, 2008, 12:53:58 am »

...Hi Guys...

Willit, Apologies if my remarks were wrong...

We have had problems galore at several different clubs with these Dickie Toys...

People who are new to the hobby go out & buy  a  "Dickie Toy" then get all Hot & Bothered at the Pond-side when you try to explain that there toy radio wont work when we switch on our real radio to sail our "Model Boats."..." But it says on the box,,,Charge the batteries and sail your model boat" is the usual cry...

I saw a nice situation at a club regatta last summer...A lovely highly detailed model of a Clyde Paddle Steamer was sailing round the pond with Scottish Music playing on board as the mini passengers were enjoying their afternoon cruise...
Along comes Mr Newcomer with his wee £29.99 Toy Speedboat from the local Maplins store...Launches  his boat,,, Full Throttle for 15 feet & just as his battery is about to give up his boat rams into the side of the cruising paddler & rips Lifeboats, Davits. Handrails, Passengers & Paintwork off the side of the paddler...Damage costing the Paddlers owner about £50.00. to repair not including the time to do the repairs & Mr Newcomer says "Sorry Mate I,m new to this lark"...Then picks up his toy Boat & dissapears back up the road from which he came...

Manufacturers  should state on the packaging of the Toy Boat that it is in fact a Toy Boat & not a Model Boat...

I,m going now to get down off the soapbox & go to bed as I have a lot to do Tomorrow, Oops  I mean later Today...

...Best Regards...Norry...

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #974 on: March 02, 2008, 02:51:26 am »

Greetings - we have the same hiccups here at our pond. I have 3 radios on the 27 frequency - but the lower end hobby shop boats seem to come with a radio that could run over any of the channels. Typically good old Dad buys a boat from the LHS but they neglect to tell them that the radios can interfere. A "xxxxx" if you buy two boats, one for each child and find only one runs at a time and you don't understand why. I frequently check by turnng mine on and watching to see who's boat quits, then turn it off and explain to the parent what they need to know. In the go-fast boats they usually run out of power after a few minutes so they can have fun and I'll just wait it out. Your Dicky might have been in that grouping as I've got one and it is the same. No other 27 radios - works great.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.