Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315613 times)

tugnut

Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #1650 on: June 22, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »

Hi all not been on for a long time,No2 springer and barge done.

tugnut

« Reply #1651 on: June 22, 2010, 07:51:15 pm »

No1 with barge at Kirsney Kapers

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1652 on: June 22, 2010, 08:32:25 pm »

Aw, super-duper and the barge too.  Must get my crane out the box and get up the tip for some wooden drawers , if you know what I mean. Nice work, def best barge so far. O0 Real Delta look about the boat.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1653 on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:30 am »

...and for those of a more sporty nature , here is how the Germans play "Wasser Polo"  www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFoS57mZvs     The MBC Lehrte  having fun.

tugnut

« Reply #1654 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:28 pm »

That is a great vidio  O0 O0 thanks arrow 5 :-))

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #1655 on: August 06, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »

An absolute cracking video Arrow , i realy enjoyed it even if i dont understand much German .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

rathikrishna

« Reply #1656 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:46 am »

Sir..can i clear one doubt here..?  why the bottom of this craft done in to a curved shape...?

Prophet

« Reply #1657 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07:41 am »

there shaped like that because the real one is shaped like that

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1658 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:40 am »

Not the best example , that one has a flat spot on the bottom. :o   I dont know the answer to the question, is there any full-size curved bottom examples with the full curve?    Does this mean we are going to have a Springer from India ? :-))

Prophet

« Reply #1659 on: August 09, 2010, 10:24:08 am »

I've got a feeling that the model has a full curve on the hull for simplicity's sake of building .. remember springers are there to encourage new modelers into the hobbies i guess its just practicality of a build thats just for fun ,

However ... if you build a springer with that flat indentation at the base would it still be a springer? and would you be able to use in in springer competitions because the hulls not to the original plan , when yet... the original 'springers'  features this type of hull...  or would it just become a 'scale model?'

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1660 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

How about this one Arrow5. I don't know where I got the photo from, but its in the 12" to the foot scale.

John

Prophet

« Reply #1661 on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:51 am »

notice the flat on the bottom of the curve on that one too?

Maybe its time for the UK to re-invent the springer plans to feature the flat on the hull design?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1662 on: August 09, 2010, 10:58:17 am »

I think you are right Proph, one piece=no leaks !   That IS a curvy one Iron.     The standard, as published, original plan is THE Springer , named after Mr Springer from the Pacific North West who made a "one design" class . Above the deck level you can have what you like and I think this is part of the appeal.  Everything else is a push-boat, pusher tug, towboat etc .   Mr Springer never designed a full-sized pusher tug as far as I know.  The history is well documented on www.RCGroups.com   in the Dock Talk section of boats under Springer Class boats.  There are of course variations in power and size (Super Springers) but they wouldnt be allowed to compete in Polo or other games or comps for Springers.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1663 on: August 09, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

If it aint broke , dont fix it !     Here we go again, we have discussed this before I think.  What is the point of changing it ?   

Prophet

« Reply #1664 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:19 am »

You are right theres nothing wrong with the original plan my only though it for thouse who would rather build a competition springer that features as an accurate scale model, i have built my fair share of half baked not to scale models in the past and throughly enjoyed every moment, hitting my mid life crisis i am now more inclined to build with more detail and to a better scale representation, my only question is that ,should i build a springer using the competition plans would i get away with chopping off the base of the hull and make it more like the original ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1665 on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:13 am »

No problem building a scale tow-boat/push-tug etc ,dozens of designs. Every boatyard on the big American rivers seem to have local variations and styles.  Check Toe Boat Joes site and forget a Springer hull.  A "scale Springer" probably exists by accident.  I like adding scale details but we have to have a sense of humour too {-)   Look at Tugnut`s examples above post 1652 on.

Prophet

« Reply #1666 on: August 09, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »

Now that to me is a perfect example of what a scale model is about. after much deliberation i think that i will build a springer as per the plan and for the superstructure do it in the of the form of SD Hercules which is from my local dockyard I( i can see it working on a daily bases from my living room window )

http://severnshipping.fotopic.net/p60831173_v10.html

just a question on the tug/towing capability's how much weight can these little guys move the heaviest boat i have is around the 7kg mark, my plan would be to not just join in, in building a springer i want to be able to use it as a rescue boat or would you think its better to build a purpose built rescue boat?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #1667 on: August 09, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

Sir..can i clear one doubt here..?  why the bottom of this craft done in to a curved shape...?

Because that is the way the Springer was designed

However ... if you build a springer with that flat indentation at the base would it still be a springer? and would you be able to use in in springer competitions because the hulls not to the original plan , when yet... the original 'springers'  features this type of hull...  or would it just become a 'scale model?'

1/ No
2/ No
3/ Scale model

There is no such thing as a full scale 'Springer'...
There ARE truckable towboats with a flat on the bottom of the hull so it sits on the truck and has less draft for shallow rivers / harbours

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #1668 on: August 09, 2010, 06:07:01 pm »

just a question on the tug/towing capability's how much weight can these little guys move the heaviest boat i have is around the 7kg mark, my plan would be to not just join in, in building a springer i want to be able to use it as a rescue boat or would you think its better to build a purpose built rescue boat?

A standard Springer can handle a 200lb barge with ease... A Super Springer has been known to push a 1000lb 'object' around in the water

Prophet

« Reply #1669 on: August 09, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »

thanks for the advice i'll keep you guys posted on my springer build in the near future :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1670 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »

In case you are wondering , the 1000lb object was a manned pumkin I believe  :o!

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #1671 on: August 10, 2010, 04:38:38 am »

In case you are wondering , the 1000lb object was a manned pumkin I believe  :o!

C'mon Arrow... lets not make it tooooo unbelievable..  :}

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1672 on: August 10, 2010, 09:42:17 am »

Yeah, right enuff.  I heard it was only 998lbs  >:-o. might have been radio controlled for all I know.  I always tend to exagerate a bit :embarrassed: Maybe I should apply for a job with the Loch Ness Tourist Board just up the road a bit..

rathikrishna

ABOUT SPRINGER TUGS..
« Reply #1673 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:47 am »

Good after noon, all my friends...will some one clear one of my doubt here...?   i saw a rare type of tug, named SPRINGER TUG, and its too fascinating , to me because of its belly...why this crafts belly, (KEEL) is shaped in to a curved manner...?  and with its shape, will it create more drag...? please explain ....

Prophet

Re: ABOUT SPRINGER TUGS..
« Reply #1674 on: August 11, 2010, 01:50:33 pm »

that was discussed at the end of this thread earlier in the week

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3471.1650

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.