Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315262 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Springer Tugs
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:42:52 pm »

Anybody building or operating the cult USA "Springer Class" tugs/workboats ?  See RCGroups.com in the "Dock Talk" section of "Boats" , look for first couple of pages for Springer Class thread for loads of pics and description.  Might try a water polo match at Loch Insh event in Sept. this year.

Admin Edit:

Springer Info...

Plans:

Plans A4: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3471.0;attach=9309

Plans: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3471.msg34812.html#msg34812

Plans: http://nwrcsm.freeyellow.com/springer.PDF

RULES:
18" x 8" inch hull size and floor shape as per plan.
Single Motor up to 540 size ( gearing etc. allowed ) eg. 540/550 / Speed 600. ANY gear / belt / magnetic drive you like!
Power - Up to 7.2 volts
SINGLE RUDDER BLADE TYPE up 4" Sq.
Must have a superstructure of some sort.
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 08:32:36 am »

Nice pics and a nice boat / tug / pusher. wouldnt mind having a go at one myself so i have saved the plans (said quietly as not to break the copywrite laws).
i wonder if it will still work as well with a twin screw system .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

kendalboatsman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:22:15 pm »

Looks really interesting, wouldn't mind having a go myself.  :)

Clive :)

I didn't notice any copyrights attached to those two drawings either ???

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 07:57:43 pm »

I`m glad some others are interested in the Springers. No copyright I think and some very basic design rules.( no twin screws).  The US style pusher/tug style doesnt have to be followed, I`m making one with a Clyde Puffer topsides, a MacSpringer ::) There is endless European shapes, canal boats, workboats and so on that give the whole idea it`s appeal as a basic knock-about for the more experienced and a good solid beginner`s first model. Then of course there is the Water Polo aspect, teams of three could be found in even the smallest clubs. Read a few pages of the RCGroups link (thanks Mayhem) above. Let`s go International Springer !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 08:00:50 pm »

Yes I really like the idea. (Maybe for the next Mayhem weekend!)
Has anyone found out how they are used or competitions developed?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Man

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 08:05:05 pm »

Here is the home page of the springer. It may help.
http://www.springertug.com/
There isn't any copyright to the plans they are free for all to use when making a model.

Don

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 10:12:40 pm »

Heres a list of events from that  site:

"A number of events have been set up for Springer tugs. 
Soccer: at least three boats on each side, one goalie, the rest aggressor/defenders.
Relay races: teams of 2 alternating in races around two large circles.
Rubber ducky round up (open to other classes but dominated by Springers."

Right Boat Football it is then everyone!- http://www.springertug.com/video.html
Start building your boats now.

I think we can just tweak the build rules a little bit.... just so we can say it a 'British' version!
Right, first new rules:

1. Any battery type up to 7.2 volts
2. Any rudder system allowed.

.... anything else needs tweaking?

Martin
PS. Ace find arrow5!  8)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »

Here are a couple of pics of my 'Brit' style Springer... But as i am in California, USA, I'm holding the British 'end' up over here  ;)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 11:27:07 pm »

Thanks Toes, very English. I prefer a slightly more "Vintage" style (hint).   Martin, "if it aint broke dont fix it"  I think the odd but simple hull is the trick that makes it so appealing to beginner and experienced. I say stick to to original concept, square, slabsided, anybody can do it. My Puffer version looks daft with a square bow and stern but is a cartoon after all. The purists can find barge shaped craft for more serious scale(ish) versions. Only variation should IMO be from the waterline up where anything goes. Polo matches should be a crowd pleaser at shows but I`d hope that the cartoon theme wouldnt end up with Tea Kettles versus Garden Swans but more Tugz Vs ...em donnowhat ! Rounding up plastic ducks would be a laugh too.

Bradders

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 11:44:02 pm »

Anyone fancy building one of these for the mayhem weekend? Even a club one, if so I will see if I can put one together and we can have a small competition, if its windy enough we could play round up the ping pong balls or similar   ;D

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:06:44 am »

Ok I am up to teh challenge Stavros

Tug Man

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 01:37:11 am »

One thing that needs to be mentioned is about the cabin coaming. It should be as high as possible 3/4" or so. These tugs get a pretty good amount of water on their decks. They tend to plow water instead of break through it as they run. This causes a accumulation of water on the decks most of the time. I would hate to see anyones boat stall out or sink due to this.

Don

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:17 am »

I certainly agree with Tug Man on his comments about cabin coaming. 'Tigger' has 1 1/4" coaming under the main cabin and 1/2" coaming under the rudder access. If you plan on adding bullwarks, dont forget to add some scuppers!..

The hull shape does tend to 'broach' at speed too, so try to keep a Springer a little 'stern' heavy. This produces some strange 'roll' characteristics when turning at speed though. (see attached pic, spot the water on deck) The hull wasnt designed for speed or manouverability.. its just a 'fun' boat.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 08:32:31 am »

For those interested, here are a few construction / layout pics of my two (one's the Wife's!) recent Springer builds.
I constructed both of these two with 1/4" ply all round, 1/16" ply deck and hull bottom..

I've also constructed a 'barge' based on the Springer layout, 18" long x 8" beam.. but its a Springer hull with two 'front ends'. I built (admitedly without 'RC guts') it in 2 1/2 days from 3/4" pine board i had left over from another project, and again, 1/16" ply deck and hull bottom.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 09:30:22 am »

Isn't the "Betsy Bev" plan from Maurice Mould the same class of tug? I used to have a set of those plans but they were sold as part of a boat/plan job lot to a club in the northeast so can't check.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 09:55:10 am »

Springers are a similar style pusher tug to the 'Betsy Bev', but Springers are smaller @ 18" x 8" and have a deeper hull

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 10:08:44 am »

Just got the base plans as a PDF.

I will try to generate a set of metric plans for the outline of the hull this week........

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

kendalboatsman

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 05:14:38 pm »

Hi Martin,

Just starting to build mine now, does "any rudder system" allow for kort nozzles?

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:48 pm »

Nope - Korts specifically excluded - maximum rudder area = 4sq.in.
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 07:51:05 pm »

Kendal , We have to think of the original concept first I think. Maybe an argument for a "Standard" Springer and an "Unlimited" class or "Experimental" class later. The basic , anybody can build one of those, is the reason for the popularity of the Springer as a fun boat. More expense, complication and the emergence of an elite. How long before a Hydrofoil Springer arrives on the scene, then a large-scale version, then a manned one ! The trick is the superstructure and what weird, scale(ish)  or humourus versions of "real" boats or ships we can add to the basic hull. I might try an RO 1/24 Springvincible !  Lets keep it even for all builders I[/img][/img][/img] say.  Anyway if we get a team together in our club (Cairngorm MFC) we will challenge an English team to a polo match or duck round-up or whatever in the first Springer International match(Standard boats). Date of our Splash-in is 8-9th Sept.,07. Venue; Loch Insh, near Aviemore. Return match your place , your date next year. Are you in or near Kendal ? How about during one of the waterplane events in the Lake District or The Steamboat Museum boat events ?  A final thought, I would like to call all the ones Scottish "MacSpringers" so any ideas for the definitive English one ?

kendalboatsman

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »

Kendal , We have to think of the original concept first I think. Maybe an argument for a "Standard" Springer and an "Unlimited" class or "Experimental" class later. The basic , anybody can build one of those, is the reason for the popularity of the Springer as a fun boat. More expense, complication and the emergence of an elite. How long before a Hydrofoil Springer arrives on the scene, then a large-scale version, then a manned one ! The trick is the superstructure and what weird, scale(ish)  or humourus versions of "real" boats or ships we can add to the basic hull. I might try an RO 1/24 Springvincible !  Lets keep it even for all builders I[/img][/img][/img] say.  Anyway if we get a team together in our club (Cairngorm MFC) we will challenge an English team to a polo match or duck round-up or whatever in the first Springer International match(Standard boats). Date of our Splash-in is 8-9th Sept.,07. Venue; Loch Insh, near Aviemore. Return match your place , your date next year. Are you in or near Kendal ? How about during one of the waterplane events in the Lake District or The Steamboat Museum boat events ?  A final thought, I would like to call all the ones Scottish "MacSpringers" so any ideas for the definitive English one ?

Hi Wombat and Arrow5,

I asked about Kort nozzles, because the drawings I downloaded say no but Martin's post suggests two rules changes

"I think we can just tweak the build rules a little bit.... just so we can say it a 'British' version!
Right, first new rules:

1. Any battery type up to 7.2 volts
2. Any rudder system allowed.
"

Arrow 5 I used to live in Kendal but now reside in South Birmingham, near Solihull.

Regards

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 11:15:58 pm »

Too bad about the move Clive , I hope it was for money ! Rule changes, I`m OK with the battery changes. Not so sure about rudder changes, look at the fore and aft rudders that are on the Yank forum, away from the  single theme. No "Anglo" name ideas ? Lets keep them simple( boats I mean , not names ;)

Tug Man

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:32 am »

The idea behind these boats is that they are all built the same.  As long as you all agree on how to build them it really doesn't matter how they look or what they use to run. Now if you plan to compete here in the states with one it does matter as it would have to conform to the build rules. But for yourselves as long as everyone agrees on how they want to build them it is ok. The idea behind these boats is to provide an even playing field for everyone when playing competition polo. It would be unfair for someone to have 2 motors/screws and be able to out maneuver the rest of the opposing team that would only be using one motor/screw.
These boats are a great way for youngsters to get into the hobby. They are quick and easy to build. They only require as much detail as the builder wishes to add.

Don

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 07:06:56 am »

does that mean we are limited to one rudder of 4 sq inches or can we have multi rudders fore and aft either 4sq inch each or 1sq inch each ??.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.