Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1314876 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2007, 04:26:32 pm »

Got you infected ! Give us a clue or pic . What style are you doing topside?
..well can you land on this?

BB STE

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2007, 10:49:14 pm »

HI ARROW,
               THE HULL IS BUILT FROM SOME LEFT OVER PLY ,FRONT AND BACK IS 2" x 1" ALL GULED AND NAILED OR SCREWED TOGETHER ,THEN PAINTED WITH A NICE THICK COATING OF GLASS FIBRE RESIN ,SHOUD BE PRETTY STRONG .

I WILL TRY TO POST A FEW PICS ,AS FOR THE TOP, HOW ABOUT A ARMED PUSHER TUG !!!  ;D
                  CHEERS STEVE J.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2007, 11:23:11 pm »

Yes, how about the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club river boats ::).  Lets see pics as it progresses ?

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2007, 08:01:33 am »

Who will be first to hit the water with a Springer in Great Britain?... or is there already one in existance?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:46 am »

Well I`ve got half of one ;D  She`s  in the paintworks as we speak, no running gear installed yet pending decisions by the "rules mafia"(thats my excuse)   I`m concentrating on the cosmetics to drum-up local interest for club annual Splash-in (Sept) on the principal that if I can do it anybody can (my model boating experience being limited to a slightly larger vessel ::)). If I get it pretty enough I`ll try to post some pics soon. Dont know whether to go "weathered" or "just out of the yard".  Anybody else building one ?  When is Mayhem Week-end ?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2007, 11:44:03 am »

Started mine tonight will post pics later.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:58 am »

JB,

Just a small query, is the plan you posted just the hull or does it include the coaming, or the side above the deck....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2007, 02:53:02 pm »

That is the hull sides only, to deck level. As I understand it you can droop it in the middle . Bulwarks are recommended by most operaters to keep the deck drier with gun`les or or hawse-pipes to let any shipped water out. What are you planning ?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2007, 05:37:02 pm »

Here are Wombat's plans in 'Word' format - should print out full size on 3 pages .

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chingdevil

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2007, 06:36:29 pm »

I have started to build my Springer Tug today as per Tim the Wombats plans. The sides are 8mm ply ends 6mm ply and the bottom is 3mm ply, I have put the skeg in place, hopefully the right place yet to drill the hole for the prop tube, also fitted the rudder tube. The white dusting is to show me  how much more sanding I have to do, not the final colour. I will be running the tug with a 540 motor straight on to the propshaft I like to keep to the KISS acronym. the top deck will be on the theme of the company I work for, no clues.

The other Brian

kendalboatsman

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2007, 07:05:30 pm »

I made a start on mine as well, I am building in balsa with a resin coating for strength. I used 6mm for the sides and both ends. The underside is 2mm balsa.

My Mum has been staying the last 9 days so i only managed to sneak in about 30 minutes of building time. We take her home tomorrow so I hope to get this project floating (even if not completed) by next Sunday.

Clive :)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2007, 09:30:59 pm »

Great stuff, built like a battleship Other Brian and a lightweight racer from Clive. I`m just dying to see the topsides, what are going to be ?  Brit prototypes ? Euro barges, U.S. push-tugs?

Arrow's Puffer Springer progress....
(Admin)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2007, 11:31:09 am »

Of course the embarrassing thing is that I have a nasty feeling I will not have a Springer for the Mayhem weekend......

Still got to have something for Fawkes to push so it can actually sail.......

And then there is the Puffer.........

Still in the meantime, is anyone interested in me opening up a "Springer Tugs" website where we can share plans and builds and things without distracting from the more general nature of Mayhem? (I'm thinking a respository for plans, designs, tweaks, contest rules, competition results etc. etc. )

I was thinking that any plans put up on the site would effectively be under a GPL type license - free for nono-commercial use and if you modify a plan, you have to acknowledge the original and put the modified plan into the public domain as well.

Incidentally the rudder area on the rules is wrong - it should read 2500sq mm not 25 - otherwise anyone using metric dimensions will have problems

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

chingdevil

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2007, 11:44:01 am »

Tim
I think the web site would be a great idea, as there is not much information out there for building these tugs. Arrow5 I tend to over engineer things when working with wood, working with metal I find much easier as I can weld or braze it and know it will hold together.

The other Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2007, 01:37:05 pm »

Well I'm hoping to get mine started this week.

Re: Website. We can either set aside a section on here for springer tugs or we can do it more formally on the main Mayhem site.

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

kendalboatsman

« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2007, 02:19:52 pm »

The Springer Website is a great idea, this could become a big thing over here and not just limited to us Mayhemers :)

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2007, 04:10:01 pm »

....as there is not much information out there for building these tugs.

Over on the US of A site, RC Groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522762 there are some (currently) 49 pages of info on these types of Tug's.

Also http://www.springertug.com/ has some info, although at the moment limited.. but is growing.

A UK version website sounds like a good idea, plans, pics, articles, competitions, etc would certainly increase awareness of this 'type' over in the UK. When its 'up and running' could someone post a link back in RC Groups please.

Ching, (or anyone else) if you need any info on how my 2 Springers went together, i would be more than happy to answer any questions of how i did it.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2007, 04:19:51 pm »

So how do we want to proceed?

If it is going to be part of Mayhem or a separate web-site just for Springers? Either way, at this stage of the game we only want one site until it is established. It is far too early for a schism.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2007, 05:18:30 pm »

Lets some Springers built and running then we'll have something to show on a site.....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2007, 06:13:07 pm »

I second that Admin.

chingdevil

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2007, 07:52:05 pm »

I am with Tim we only want one site, so let see a few finished and go from there.

The other Brian

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:05 pm »

Hi  BB STE   We have a springer tug down at the pond. Eric & my self built this type
   of tug ten years ago, Built on the design of tug that Hargreaves use for pushing
   tompuddings about (  coal barges )  in Castleford & goole area.

Regards,

John.        POLL

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2007, 11:25:54 pm »

Have Springers been around that long ? Poll we are not talking about pusher tugs in  general but the North West USA club that concocted a formula for a basic fun toy for games and general knock-about. The US ones are based typical river tugs that push enormous rakes of barges but we are trying to Internationalise the basic theme. The Castleford/Goole ones sound just the job for an English Springer from the waterline up Check the early posts in this thread and the links posted by Toesupwa.  Are you planning a Goolinger ? Show us a pic of your Hargreaves  for inspiration.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2007, 10:32:57 pm »

Just spotted a post on Springer thread on RCGroups that confirms that twin motors are permitted by NW club`s rules. Still one shaft and prop.  Any progress reports this side of the pond?

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:20 am »

I wouldn't let a flat top compete, but it is Anything goes.

Here is one of those anythings, in Seattle, Washington USA, tucked in behind a few other boats...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.