Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1315010 times)

kendalboatsman

Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2007, 07:21:58 am »

Hi Arrow5,

I have got motor and prop shaft in place and I am off to get some resin and fibreglass tissue tonight. Also need to get to Bob's Models to buy a prop as my 38 mm props are M3 not M4. Next job is to cut some polystyrene foam for the bow compartment.

Clive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2007, 08:18:24 am »

Welcome to Mayhem Umi, you are a nice lady but :-* ......what is the theme on that one, Spring(er) in the Park ?  Then there is the "outhouse" ( dunny to our Oz builders). What say we stick to boat profiles for a bit ;)    What is your`s by the way ?  Keep us informed this side of the pond.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:14 am »

No clues to your topsides Kendal ?  Heavyweight glass-cloth ?  Keep the pics coming.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2007, 08:26:28 am »

When Martin and I discussed it between ourselves, the thought was that if you d oa flat top, you shuold at least put something silly on top of it - hence the comment in the rules about things like rubber ducks.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2007, 02:02:08 pm »

Ducks...they are big enough for a Swan ! We already have a well established "Novelty Class" for those and Loch Ness Monsters , tea-kettles etc, wouldnt we be covering the same ground(er water) ?   Cartoon-ish or scale-sh is OK by me , even true-scale if you can find a suitable prototype and there are plenty. I say no wild-life or steaming kettles. Lets keep them Springers i.e. boats, tugs, even DUKWs but no quackers.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2007, 02:37:18 pm »

I think what we're all saying is - all British Springer Tugs need to have a superstructure... of some kind.
i.e. NO Flatties... unless it's an aircraft carrier!  ;D

With a superstructure of some sort, I'm hoping it will keep things civil and prevent anyone going in for a tackle "all guns blazing" without fear of damage.

Martin. 
PS. No Guns allowed!  >:(

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2007, 02:44:48 pm »

Radio controlled aircraft for carrier ops.....been there , done that, printed the T-shirt !   Springer size a bit tricky though.  News from Australian Springer builder (Ozspringer ?) good scale prototype if you want a militarty(sic) one with no guns. www.wasappers.com/gallery2

kendalboatsman

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2007, 05:48:05 pm »

No clues to your topsides Kendal ?  Heavyweight glass-cloth ?  Keep the pics coming.

Probably a tug upper to be truthful, saw a good scale one on RC  groups with stern bulwarks although I am trying to think of something humorous to put on as superstructure. Have got a muppet character I might use. Might make two superstructures.

Glassfibre Tissue, it is a fine woven mattting that you lay in place and brush resin into, means less filling and sanding. Will post before and after pics once I have done the glassing.

Clive :)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:56 pm »

Better with cloth Kendal, model aircraft wing skinning lightweight. Apply resin with old (or new) credit card, brushing not so good. Aim for 50/50 glass/resin ratio. Sand well when rock hard,couple of days and wash with thinners or detergent to kill wax which will rise to surface when cured.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2007, 08:44:39 pm »

Hi Arrow5,

Thanks for the advice I will do that.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2007, 06:10:05 pm »

MacSpringer sails on Loch Morlich, no running gear just floating. Pics later.

RoryAld

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2007, 08:31:52 am »

Where can i Buy the Hull??? if anyone nows please email me: RoryAld@aol.com

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2007, 09:21:18 am »

Rory, they are not available as a commercial item. A couple of fibre-glass hulls have been produced in the USA but only as an excercise by the builders. They realy are so simple to build I dont think anyone would have difficulty in knocking one together from scrap. The profile for the sides are here in an early post in metric or imperial.  See also the posts in RCGroups link. Go on , you can do it !

kendalboatsman

« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2007, 07:57:31 pm »

How is everyone getting on with their Springer tug builds?

I have spent part of the weekend, fibreglassing, filling and sanding the hull on mine. I am just making the rudder, then I get on with fitting the radio gear and speed control. Will be ready to be put decks on then.

Anyone know what scale they are supposed to represent?

1st image is the fibreglass tissue I used. 2nd image is the fibreglassed hull and the 3rd image is the sanded and primered hull.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2007, 08:09:33 pm »

The scale is 1:that-and-a-bit....  ::)

Actually it's whatever scale you say it is! I.e. an aircraft carrier will be a different scale to a one man tug... as long as it's 18 x 8 inches!

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2007, 08:33:03 pm »

Good progress Kendal, glad the glassing went well. Dont forget that if you used polyester resin you wont be able to use epoxy on top of it, use polyester through-out.  I`m a bit stuck for parts waiting on mail order stuff to arrive. All the cosmetics are about done, any more detailing and she will be top-heavy ! Mulling over geared or not geared. Got a 540 motor and mount out of something but cant remember where or what it was from, just stuck it away in case it came in handy !  Are you going to fix the deck down permanently ?  I`m also thinking about keeping it removable so that I can change the top-sides to another style, maybe even another Mac Line boat. Scale I`d say anything about 1/24th or 1/32 would be about right but an aircraft carrier might be slightly different ! I do hope they evolve into semi-scale, slightly light-hearted interpretations of real craft. Are you putting the strip out from the keel to the rudder ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2007, 08:34:56 pm »

Hi Martin are you psychic ? Any luck with MacSpringer on water pics ? They are are a bit dated as I`ve added the cludgie ::)

Here's Arrow5's McSpringer Puffer!

kendalboatsman

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36:06 pm »

Hi Arrow5,

Your Mc Puffer looks good.

As to mine the main deck will be a permanent fixture but I will build two different superstructures to fit onto it. Mine is powered by a straight drive 545 motor onto a 38mm 3 bladed nylon prop.

The two versions of superstructure that appeal the most are a life like version of a pusher and a cartoon version of the same. Was originally thinking muppets but I am leaning towards Looney toons now. Alternatively I have got a load of 1/35 vietnam era US Troops and weaponry so something along the lines of a monitor or troop carrier would be good.

Clive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2007, 11:21:57 pm »

Thanks Martin.   Clive I was also thinking military or naval. maybe persuade my mate to do a FIRE thingy...a Sprinkler. Glad you like the Mac. Have a look at the Aussie bridge building craft on the other place (RCGroups) . How about the rudder support bar from keel back ? Keep the pics coming.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:59 am »

Hi,

Yes I am fitting one need to get to the model shop for some brass strip. I did see the bridge building craft.

Clive

BB STE

« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2007, 05:26:43 pm »

HI ARROW 5
                 I GOT MINE UP AND RUNNING AND TOOK IT TO BALNE ON SUNDAY , ENTRED IT IN SINGLE TOW CLEAR ROUND FIRST PLACE ! HOWS THAT.  ;D I DIDNT HAVE TIME TO MAKE THE TOP ,SO IT HAD AN OIL BARREL WITH THE CREW INSIDE
 IT HANDELS BRILL.
                        SEE YOU IN MAY CHEERS STEVE J.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:56 pm »

And here are some pics of it at Balne on Sunday
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2007, 07:06:36 pm »

Great result, show us a picture of the "Barrelinger".  May hmmmm, dunno yet, unless you are coming North ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2007, 07:09:02 pm »

Thanks ...Youngat65;you are psychic too.  Why not a cargo-load of barrels ?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2007, 10:04:31 pm »

Martin you said no guns on the decks , haow about a couple of these

daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.