Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1314951 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2007, 01:22:09 pm »

Are there any Tug events coming up at Ellesmere port?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2007, 03:10:34 pm »

I think the Boat Museum at Ellesmere is out of the model boat scene but the display team shown in RO5 pic is based in the Wirral somewhere I think. Model Boats or Marine Modelling magazines should have a list of dates.  Sure to be tug enthusiasts here on mayhem.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2007, 06:54:19 pm »

Loch Insh fireboat "Sprinkler" ( alternate top for MacSpringer)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2007, 06:56:07 pm »

"Sprinkler" stern view.

BB STE

« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2007, 07:12:06 pm »

HI ALL.
          AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS A M.M.M. TUG COMP AT ELESMERE ON 6th MAY (SUNDAY) 2 MAN, 3 MAN, AND SINGLE SCREW  ,FOR MORE DETAILS CONTACT MINI STEVE AS HE IS A MEMBER OF ELSMERE CLUB.
SHOULD BE A GOOD DAYS TOWING, AS THEY ALLWAYS PUT OUT A GOOD COURSE. MOST IMPORTANT BRING A TUG OR TWO AND HAVE A GO!! ;D ;D
      CHEERS STEVE J  ;D

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2007, 10:54:35 pm »

Is it still at the Boat Museum ? A great place to visit for any reason.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2007, 10:58:38 pm »

Hi Arrow 5,

The fireboat looks good, are those drums 1:24 scale perchance? If so can you tell me where to buy a set from?

Clive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2007, 11:46:15 pm »

Oil drums from Hunter Systems (1/24th-ish) item# GRM003  , £1.50 pair.  24 Aspen Road, Eastbourne , east Sussex. BN22 0TG . tel.01323 503336. www.huntersystems.co.uk  What are they for Clive....?

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2007, 05:05:41 am »

...Hi Guys...

I have just downloaded the plans for a Springer Tug from the link at the front page of the site...

A couple of  questions before i start to build my boat...

The hull in the plan has a flat deck from bow to stern, But the Springer in the picture has a rise in the deck from the stern up to the bow...

Is there any ruling on the shape of the upper part of the hull at the deck level...

Would i be able to install a 6 volt Decaperm motor with 2.75/1 reduction gears  or is this too big...

My Springer will be built in Damen Stantug tradition...the name will be "STANTUG SPRINGER"

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: April 26, 2007, 07:13:10 am »

Norry the upper line is optional curved or straight. I suppose the stern vertical is as shown, curve will help with drainage. Havent a clue re motor. There are warnings on RCGroups about over-powering them, they go "submarine". Prop size should determine motor I guess. Gears ?  BTW that is a good site (Williams) even got line drawings for  semi-scale, good pics for colour schemes for Brit Springers. Got some pics of your build?

kendalboatsman

« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2007, 08:24:20 am »

Oil drums from Hunter Systems (1/24th-ish) item# GRM003  , £1.50 pair.  24 Aspen Road, Eastbourne , east Sussex. BN22 0TG . tel.01323 503336. www.huntersystems.co.uk  What are they for Clive....?

I could tell you, but I would have to kill you ;D

Actually, they are for this  - http://www.flickr.com/photos/lumpy_golightly/sets/72157600012014867/. I would post a photo but Photobucket is down for maintenance.

If built to instructions the model has a big box on the well deck for the rudder servo, however I am going to use a closed loop wire system for the rudder and paint the rudder arm to match the deck so it isn't too noticeable. I also have a micro servo to mount over the propshaft inside. The full size PBRs used to carry oil drums etc lashed down in the well deck so I can use them to partly hide the rudder arm. I am also adding a semi detailed cockpit to it.

Clive

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: April 26, 2007, 10:47:38 am »

My lips are sealed ! Interesting mods with closed loop, you an aeromodeller too? How about empty 35mm film canisters for oil drums?  Rarities now but some pro photographers might be a source, free. Your local 1hr photo lab just bins them, Boots et al. If they are going to be a big load a couple of scale ones visible and some camo netting over the film tubs will give the illusion that they are all scale. Good military/M.O.D. ideas for Springer.    BTW;  Look for a couple of Arrow5 pics on Flickr.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2007, 11:00:14 am »

The old kodak tubs with the grey lids are perfect size for funnel base on a Vic Smeed Tiddler ;D I still have some 35mm canisters left although I tend to shoot exclusively with Digital cameras these days.

I also saved about 1/2 dozen of the persil washing tablet bags to cut up and use as camo nets etc.

That was my wife's account for the pibber. I also have a flickr account under Kendalboatsman which I started 3 weeks ago.  :)

Will be ordering off Hunter Systems in the next week then.

Clive

g7tmu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:31 pm »

I saw this 'Springer' type tug in Southampton harbour yesterday. We were getting a few problems sorted on a full-size yacht, ready for the Round the Island race in June.

Victor (g7tmu)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2007, 03:20:33 pm »

Good catch Victor, thanks. Hope that inspires Brit Springer builders.

hiapita

« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2007, 05:50:14 pm »

Just a little teaser ;D ;D ;D here are some pics of my springer. I have finished it now and I am now helping dad finish the others.

Hannah.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2007, 09:16:30 am »

...Good Morning Guys...

A couple of wee suggestions for a Club Fleet of Springers...

Why not build the Starr Fleet from the kids tv series TUGS...or from the other kids programme Theodore Tugboat...

There are a few characters in each programme so each member could build a different character & complete the set... Would look good at Open Days...

My son wants me to build him a Theodore Tugboat Springer so that will be my 2nd Springer build...

A search on Google will find a fleet list & some pictures if any one is interested...

...All The Best...Norry...

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:25 am »

This picture has been posted on Tugtalk  today by John Forsyth...

Are these Springers... they are named ."ESSO BAYPORT" & "ESSO BAYTOWN"

....Best Regards...Norry...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2007, 10:42:18 am »

Great idea about pleasing kids with Theodores and Tugz etc but sure as .... there will be a copyright lawyer just waiting to pounce >:(. Avoid recognisable characters and come up with our own faces/characters and maybe the boot(boat) would be on the other foot when "they" want a "Tugsy Tam" or a "Wee Hamish the Puffer"  Anti-smoking advertising campaign execs form a queue here on that one  8)!  The two Esso "Springers?" are great BTW.  Any word about Largs ?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2007, 11:51:19 am »

No mention of the two 'Arms' at the bow for holding a ball  (or locate and catch one)

Do these have to protrude permanently or hinge upwards in any way ?

Just an armchair designer at the moment.    ;D

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

kendalboatsman

« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2007, 12:35:49 pm »

No mention of the two 'Arms' at the bow for holding a ball  (or locate and catch one)

Just an armchair designer at the moment.    ;D

Cheers...Ken

Hi Ken,

I am probably wrong but I assumed the ball etc would be manoeuvred by catching it between the two pusher posts on the bow. Can anyone clarify this please?

Clive :)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2007, 02:33:05 pm »

For the ball games, water-polo etc the addition of two coil spring door stops are screwed onto the flat bow about where the knees (pusher posts) are. Have a look at the early posts in RCGroups (Boat talk - Springer ). There are drawings of the type of spring( B&Q etc) on some of the plans on that site too.  I reckon they don't need to be fitted unless you are a Polo player but might be needed for other capers, retrieving bath ducks, down planes etc etc.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2007, 03:43:11 pm »

My Springer Hull is now complete and I have started on the Superstructure..............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2007, 04:52:29 pm »

The ball (or any other floating object) can be caught between the 'push knees' on the bow of the Springer.. However something like a round ball will roll away from the bow due to the wave created by the Springer as it moves forwards. The addition of the door 'Springs' or door stops helps catch and retain the ball in front of the Springer hull.
The Knees also are usefull for pushing larger boats for recovery and manouvering.

See my construction pics earlier in this thread and the links to plans / RC Groups thread for details of the push knees and Springs used.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2007, 05:03:50 pm »

...Hi Arrow5...

As long as the boats are not being used for private profit then the lawyer can go jump in the other end of the pond...(The end where theres nobody to pull him out & the lifebelt is missing)...

My father & I built a Thomas The Tank Engine several years ago that was bolted onto a sit-on Lawnmower tractor.It pulled 2 carraiges made from old bogies which were given to us by ICI.

This was used by a mate & his son to raise funds for churches & other organisations at Garden Fetes ect. It was very popular everywhere it went...

We got a letter from ERTL,s Lawyers telling us to stop using the train & cut it up or else they would sue us for copyright...We explained that it was used for charity work & not for persnal gain, But were then asked for copies of all documents & receipts for moneys in & out.

We proved to the lawyer that it was for charity work & they withdrew their request, But then received a letter from another lawyer (probably the first lawyers mate) asking us to show all insurance documentation for the train or stop using it immediately...

The train was dismantled anyway as we were not going to get into another legal battle...

So I,m building my son a THEODORE SPRINGER and the lawyers can go take a jump...

...Best Regards...Norry...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.