Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer Tugs  (Read 1314885 times)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Springer Tugs
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2007, 10:34:52 am »

My Springer is painted and drying as I write I will put up pics in the next two days......  :o :o

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2007, 01:42:09 pm »

Think I will have a go at one. I cant get to the Mayhem weekend, I have to work, so maybe a consolation buld next time on nights is in order!

I am using up whats left of the grey cells to try and come up with a unique superstructure at the moment - no luck yet!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:06 pm »

Think I will have a go at one. I cant get to the Mayhem weekend, I have to work, so maybe a consolation buld next time on nights is in order!

I am using up whats left of the grey cells to try and come up with a unique superstructure at the moment - no luck yet!

Ian
Something local perhaps, military, naval, Thames, Mersey, Clyde, Tyne. Or Continental , Rhine ,  even a....Venetian dust-cart !   My mate is thinking about an "Amphicar", not amphibious but with dummy wheels just stuck on ! He`s scouring the boot-sales for a large car body as we speak, oh dear a step too far methinks but anything goes.  More pics , let us see what we`ve got so far.
..well can you land on this?

kendalboatsman

« Reply #253 on: May 07, 2007, 02:17:11 pm »

Speaking of Tyne, Can anyone tell me the best paint colours to match RNLI livery for my Springer Lifeboat? I was going to use ordinary Humbrol paints but I think I saw somewhere about Ford colours for a lifeboat. Any ideas where?

Ta
Clive

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: May 07, 2007, 02:23:37 pm »

For matching paint colours you may want to try your local auto supply / paint store and see if they will mix the colour in a spay can. I wanted to match a tug colour here - turned out it was 'Pepsi Red' - a little more in cost but the colour was the answer.

chingdevil

« Reply #255 on: May 07, 2007, 05:27:44 pm »

My Springer got its bottom wet today, tried it in the test tank (cheep paddling pool). It took a lot of weight to get it down to the correct height, 2 x 6v 4Ah, 1 x 7.2v 1600Ah and the battery pack for my Hitec radio even then I think it is slightly high. If it ever goes under the fish are going to get a tingle. When I ran the motor the bow lifted quite nicely will now need to move the batteries to get a level tug when it is running.
After testing it in the local lake will post pictures.

The other Brian

Willit

« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:52 am »

How about cutting the rear brace just inboard of  the pins to leave two blocks to support your full depth bulkhead,  (ie remove about 80% of the weight.)   Good you supported the prop-tube, couldn't see any in pics, external skeg will help with straight-line tracking I think. Waiting to see your top , some freelance "scale" details perhaps ?  More pics please.  Any more Springers in the pipeline ???????

Its a plan, what I'll do is I'll fit the RC gear, sand seal the hull and then bath test it.  If it floats alright with no tendency to rock I will leave the brace (its not too heavy anyway) but if it gives trouble I'll do your fix.  I have hacksaw small enough for the job!

Willit

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2007, 10:48:50 pm »

Here is my latest update on work on my Springer.  The hull now has a servo coupled to the rudder and attached to the hull.  The deck is on and the hull is practically finished, bar painting.  It has had two coats of sanding sealer and a lot of rubbing down, and once I have primed it I will test it in the bath.  The superstructure is basically a box at the mo, and will have things like doors and windows, portholes etc painted on within framing in order to keep all of it water tight still!  Its a rough interpretation of a Bantam type tug sort of thing.  I was able to have a bit of fun with the lathe (I felt like it :)) to make a good well aligned (aka not wonky like I usually do  :P) exhaust pipe.  Its roughly blu tacked on so you can see it in "situ".  I don't really know where to put it though, any suggestions?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2007, 10:57:56 am »

Yep Willit, looking good. Maybe raise the bow with a block of wood like the Yank pushers with Knees for pushing,  even if not on the BW Bantam it should cut down the chances of bow-wave spilling over deck when charging ! I`d think about reducing the height of the superstructure a wee bit too to reduce "wind effects", 1.5inch/4 cm  should help.   Plenty of "scale" bits in old junked toy trucks and cars for exhausts and lights, tyres for fenders, check the kids next door ! Look forward to the paintwork.

Willit

« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2007, 09:28:34 pm »

Yep Willit, looking good. Maybe raise the bow with a block of wood like the Yank pushers with Knees for pushing,  even if not on the BW Bantam it should cut down the chances of bow-wave spilling over deck when charging ! I`d think about reducing the height of the superstructure a wee bit too to reduce "wind effects", 1.5inch/4 cm  should help.   Plenty of "scale" bits in old junked toy trucks and cars for exhausts and lights, tyres for fenders, check the kids next door ! Look forward to the paintwork.

I just bath tested it, ARGHH!!! the sand sealer hasn't penetrated the hull side/base joints properly and the glue got wet!  I have to let it dry out and then I'll ladle a load of sand sealer on with a spatula, and then spray on some primer.  The thing practically just sits on its keel.  Its going to need so much lead to bring the nose down  :o

"update"

here is the painted (but not yet tidied up) hull.  I decided, having seen pics of the Bantam tug, to omit antifoul paint and just do the whole lot black.  Once the paints hardened off I'll do yet another bath test to see what happens.

kendalboatsman

« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2007, 05:24:55 pm »

My build has stalled horribly because of plastering and I haven't done anything for 5 or 6 days. I have now covered the main superstructure with Solar Film as I haven't got time to be sealing and rubbing down to get rid of balsa grain. I need to connect up the electrics and finish the superstructure and last of all paint it.

Clive

chingdevil

« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2007, 06:23:15 pm »

Have not been to the lake to test "Spruffer" so put back into test tank to try out the esc, keeps blowing 4amp fuses :'(  while i cry into my beer thought I would post some pictures of it. Arrow5 named it "Spruffer" after I said I would stop working on my puffer to build a springer tug. I know the plate at the front is not straight, when I stuck it on I did not realise it had moved until I had started the paint scheme.

The other Brian

kendalboatsman

« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2007, 09:16:02 pm »

looks really good "the other Brian". Mine might not get wet until the mayhem weekend at this rate. :(

Mind you the decorating is going better now.

Clive

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: May 12, 2007, 10:17:24 pm »

Another contribution to the Springer dabate; Wasn't there a pusher tug for pushing VERY large barges that had the pilot house on a sort of scissors jack so that the driver could see over the barge? That would make an imteresting operating feature, but of course you'd have to remember to lower the bridge in fast turns!!

kendalboatsman

« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2007, 10:22:28 pm »

Hi Tobyker,

You are quite right, many many years ago Model Boats published a plan for Egrete (Rhine Pusher Tug) and that had a lifting wheel house. Someone on here has a model of it but I cannot remember who?

Clive

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2007, 06:11:48 am »

Finally remembered to take a photo of my Springer.........
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2007, 10:22:20 pm »

" Arrow5 named it "Spruffer" after I said I would stop working on my puffer to build a springer tug." (quote/) I thought that would apply only to Puffer based Springers, it was Mrs Toesup who coined the word.  Think we will have to introduce an advertisement rule too or is there a fee for promoting soft drinks?

chingdevil

« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2007, 11:00:41 am »

Sorry arrow5, I thought you had come up with the name spruffer
I  work for the company that produces Pepsi, I thought I would make my springer fun so I made the wheelhouse from a can, if people do not like I will paint over it.

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2007, 12:09:16 pm »

Ching ; Looks great.  Keep it in company livery, follow the lead of the F1 guys. Who knows maybe next year it will be " The Mayhem Springer Pepsi UK Championships" sponsored by Pepsico !  Now watch the rush of fag-packet paint jobs (for US readers that is "cigarette pack" , unless it is pink !) and the PR people from big companies vieing for space on our boats. Well maybe not...my MacSpringer puffer has a Steradent denture capsule for a funnel. Painted it so the world wouldn't know that I was a toothless old git. Re MacSpringer title, that would apply to any Scottish type vessel not just Puffers. Any of the small West Coast ferries or North Sea oil support ships out of Aberdeen would qualify. The puns are part of the fun. Whose is going to be the first to call their`s a "Spaniel" then there will be a Coc....oh better not that would be from a rival soft drink company.

chingdevil

« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2007, 12:12:44 pm »

Arrow5 the company livery should be dark green and orange for Britivc, I just thought the Pepsi colours are more fun.

The other Brian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2007, 12:41:24 pm »

.....is there a boating pond at Wimbledon ! Purple and Green = BIG MONEY !

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2007, 02:49:40 pm »

Don't forget guys, if you are coming for the fun and games at the Mayhemers "Weekend at Wicksteed" - fit a hook or towing bollard somewhere near the back of your Springer!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2007, 03:05:04 pm »

...and door-stop type springs???????????

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »

They MAY be an advantage....... or not!  8)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2007, 05:50:42 pm »

I thought they were based on push tugs 8). No water-polo teams ?  Aw well you`ll all need to come to Loch Insh Splash-in come Sept.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.