Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: General Knowledge of youth of today  (Read 9812 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
General Knowledge of youth of today
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:20 am »

Does anyone else worry about the youth of todays general knowledge.

I watch quite a lot of quiz programs "The Chase" is my favourite at the moment.

I am noticing that nine times out of ten you can tell who will do the best by their age.

Watching these quizzes makes me wonder why the younger generation bother to enter.

Examples of recent answers.

Didnt know that Normandy was in France.

Thought the Cairngorms were in Wales.

University student from the Isle of White who thought the TT races were held on the I of W.

I could go on but just have a look at the young fella on last nights The Chase on ITV Player and see what I mean. He comes on after the middle set of adverts.

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=298966

A few more years and quizzes will be no more as no one will have any general knowledge.

I think this is dangerous because you learn by your mistakes, cant do that if you dont know what they are.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

Re: General Knowledge of youth of today
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

I don't worry about the kids general knowledge as much as I worry about the general knowledge and I Q of the celebs that they try to live up to..........you only have to look at the ape man, wayne rooney for one.........seen more brains on a microscope slide, {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

andyn

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »

Very easy to tar everyone with the same brush isn't it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:15 pm »

University student from the Isle of White who thought the TT races were held on the I of W.

Where's that Richard.....?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

that's the place we call the Isel of Widget...

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:16:55 pm »

The bit of Hampshire that had to be moved to let ships in and out of Soton
and leave room for Fort building  %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:19:36 pm »

Very easy to tar everyone with the same brush isn't it.
You sum it up Andy, since when has nine out ten been everyone.

Colin thinks kids education is something to joke about.

I apologise now for worrying about kids education but I have 3 kids and 5 grandkids and I dont want them making the same mistakes as previous generations because their education is c***. >>:-(

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »

i employed a chap in november  ( he's 26 ) - when he got his first payslip he asked what P.A.Y.E  meant on his payslip !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:00 pm »

You sum it up Andy, since when has nine out ten been everyone.

I apologise now for worrying about kids education but I have 3 kids and 5 grandkids and I dont want them making the same mistakes as previous generations because their education is c***. >>:-(

Education Begins at Home..
We make sure that my son also watches programmes he would probably not want to watch which is where in my opinion I think a lot of general knowledge is picked up from.

As regards the chase, the nasty Lady and the big guy would scare me and there is a lot of pressure in those game shows which could fluster some people.

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »

i employed a chap in november  ( he's 26 ) - when he got his first payslip he asked what P.A.Y.E  meant on his payslip !

We once had a Older Lady who on the phone asked if she could speak to someone about a Pay as you earn Phone !!, we could not stop laughing for days, and we still bring it up with her now and again..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »

Education Begins at Home..
We make sure that my son also watches programmes he would probably not want to watch which is where in my opinion I think a lot of general knowledge is picked up from.

As regards the chase, the nasty Lady and the big guy would scare me and there is a lot of pressure in those game shows which could fluster some people.

My sons general knowledge is fairly good as we got him into the habit of watching the news and reading news papers he also was in the scouts and did a fair bit of travelling with them. He drives for a living, sees lots of different places and he has always been interested in history as my family were in the army, my wife is a royalty freak and can trace her naval family back beyond Nelson. One of her ancestors was Admiral Hood.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »

Yes, but I had a 55 year old ask me what F.O.C. meant when he'd taken his car in for warranty repair!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:34:33 pm »

I have to confess that I have learned more from TV than I ever did in school. I loved quiz shows and documentaries, especially documentaries about the natural world. And they say TV rots your brains.

However, there is a flip side. What some of us olds might consider to be irrelevant information about the internet, or online communities or things techie will be considered general knowledge by most young people.
Younger people are generally much more tech savy. They cannot understand why we can't do most of what we olds can't do with a computer.

I know how to wire a plug. But to be honest, I have only done one in the last 15 years. It is perhaps obsolescent knowledge. Same for doing the timing on a car. Setting a rabbit snare (now illegal I think). Tickling trout. Milking a cow by hand. Changing a tyre (not wheel, just tyre). Lighting a coal fire. Growing your own potatoes in the garden. Baking bread (in the oven) and cakes. All useful skills and all becoming less relevant to everyday life for most people.

I am sure there are many instances where I would NEED to turn to someone like Andy-MMB for assistance.
And in 30years time he himself will probably complain that 'kids don't know anything these days'.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Nige52

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:24 pm »

Dicky is so right in what he says.....I couldn't stop laughing at this little piece which appeared on Facebook, I have deleted the names so as to preserve anonymity.

"M**** has been at school approximately 1hr and we've just received a phone call to say she's being sent back home because she has a purple-ish tinge to her hair..... Apparently, there are going to be lots of 'returns' this morning, etc. Ironically, when M**** had to have major surgery a while back, we were being threatened with court action by the authorities because of the time she'd lost at school....... Strangely though, the school itself are happy to exclude kids because of hair colour, piercings, etc!!!!!!"

This was a reply....

"Absolutely stupid aint it wen sum parents dont even botha to send there kids. I used to turn up at skool with all colors in my hair wen we were kids, it dont stop u learning!"

It seemed to have stopped this particular lady from learning anything...... {-) {-) {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »

I have to confess that I have learned more from TV than I ever did in school. I loved quiz shows and documentaries, especially documentaries about the natural world. And they say TV rots your brains.

However, there is a flip side. What some of us olds might consider to be irrelevant information about the internet, or online communities or things techie will be considered general knowledge by most young people.
Younger people are generally much more tech savy. They cannot understand why we can't do most of what we olds can't do with a computer.

I know how to wire a plug. But to be honest, I have only done one in the last 15 years. It is perhaps obsolescent knowledge. Same for doing the timing on a car. Setting a rabbit snare (now illegal I think). Tickling trout. Milking a cow by hand. Changing a tyre (not wheel, just tyre). Lighting a coal fire. Growing your own potatoes in the garden. Baking bread (in the oven) and cakes. All useful skills and all becoming less relevant to everyday life for most people.

I am sure there are many instances where I would NEED to turn to someone like Andy-MMB for assistance.
And in 30years time he himself will probably complain that 'kids don't know anything these days'.
Always best to have some background knowledge though. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

pugwash

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »

I must admit to being able to build stables, extensions to the house, complete rewiring (till HMG made it illegal for me to do so) design and install oilfired central heating
system, roofing, in fact everything except could never get the hang of plastering,  navigating across the sea in most conditions, BUT I always need help setting up my P.C.
and sometimes with these new fangled T.V.s
Problem is I'm now too decrepit to do most building jobs and wife won't let me on the roof to fix the tiles we lost this week or go to sea, so basically I now can't do ANYTHING
except build model boats and chat to you lot.

Geoff

But I can still get more questions right on University Challenge than my son so the brain isn't completely dead

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »

I must admit to being able to build stables, extensions to the house, complete rewiring (till HMG made it illegal for me to do so) design and install oilfired central heating
system, roofing, in fact everything except could never get the hang of plastering,  navigating across the sea in most conditions, BUT I always need help setting up my P.C.
and sometimes with these new fangled T.V.s
Problem is I'm now too decrepit to do most building jobs and wife won't let me on the roof to fix the tiles we lost this week or go to sea, so basically I now can't do ANYTHING
except build model boats and chat to you lot.

Geoff
No problem Geoff, all you have to do is find a young bloke who knows how to fix tiles, nothing else, just tiles then hope he has a mate who knows how to read a map to find your house.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »

And make sure he has completed his SIX WEEK tilers apprenticeship  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Ned

CF-FZG

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:24:59 pm »

And make sure he has completed his SIX WEEK tilers apprenticeship  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Six weeks!!!

You'd think they could learn how to remove/refit/replace tiles in less time than that  >>:-(

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »

Surely the whole point is , that as we age we all learn, so as time goes on and we end up as old as many of us are here, we have accumulated a lot of knowledge.   ... Under normal circumstances there is no way we would have had it all at 21 years of age either ....... if we did, what the heck have we been doing for the last forty years ?  :o
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

bobk

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »

"basically I now can't do ANYTHING except build model boats and chat to you lot."
Glad you are able to Pugwash, because some of us OAP's are new to model boats and value your passing on your experience.
I am still working, but part time, and can no longer manage ladders roofs or climbing under cars.  Escaping to the dockyard gives me a creative usefulness, even though close up eyesight and dexterity are no longer what they were. 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:35 pm »

Age brings knowledge and experience, but I think our teachers in the fifties gave us something precious-
an enquiring mind and the love of reading books of all sorts.
Hobbies were all about making things and finding out about how things worked.
Music was 'Make your own'  (Apart from Radio Luxembourg)
Then came Television where the BBC talked down to the viewers and the rot set in

Ned

CF-FZG

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »

Age brings knowledge and experience, but I think our teachers in the fifties gave us something precious-
an enquiring mind and the love of reading books of all sorts.
Hobbies were all about making things and finding out about how things worked.
Music was 'Make your own'  (Apart from Radio Luxembourg)
Then came Television where the BBC talked down to the viewers and the rot set in

Apart from the words I've highlighted, that's one of the most condescending, inaccurate pieces of drivel I've read on here.

Unless you're retired, (or lived in your little world), the implication you're making is that  - we were taught not educated, we were exposed to 'the rot' because television became available to the plebs and we didn't have to make our own music >>:-( 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:31 pm »

Not so, I worked in the County Education department for a large part of my career including attending around 500 school governor meetings to explain Education policy. I have also attended many meetings with the civil servants at the Department of Education.

In my case I was lucky to have a good education (but didn't go to Uni). I reckon I have pretty good general knowledge but much of that came from a love of reading and by the age of 11 I was turning around 5 books a week from the local library. OK they included Biggles and science fiction but they certainly sparked my imagination and interest no end.

Sorry for the delay in responding and apologies for any spelling errors in this post but I had a cataract op a couple of hours ago and can't see too well at the moment.

Colin

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 09:50:21 pm »

..........you only have to look at the ape man, wayne rooney for one.........seen more brains on a microscope slide

he might not have degrees, but he has certainly made the best use of his talent, He isnt that stupid is he :embarrassed:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.