Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV Fairwind build  (Read 5038 times)

container feeder

MV Fairwind build
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:50:57 pm »

Hi everyone, well having been watching this forum for sometime now, i finally made an effort and registered. This is only the second model boat i've had a go at making - the first been a destroyer from a set of magazine plans - and is my first go at a fibreglass hull and kit but it all seems straight forward enough. Progress made so has been ok and it is starting to come together quite well (famous last words). Up to to now the bow thruster, prop shaft and rudder tube, and servo supports have been fiited and the main deck and forward bulkhead have been glued in to place with the others trial fit

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MV Fairwind build
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:10:39 pm »

Hi Container feeder and welcome to Mayhem.

We look forward to more pictures. Can you arrange it so that we can click on them to enlarge them as I, for one, would like to see more details.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »

Can you arrange it so that we can click on them to enlarge them as I, for one, would like to see more details.

Hi C F and Welcome. :-)

Dave

container feeder

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:05:03 am »

Well its been a while since i last posted on here, and its safe to say progress has been slow to none at all. Over the last few days i managed to get the bulwarks fitted and give it a coat of primer to highlight any areas that will need a touch of filler and sanding smooth. Also ho do i go about getting reconnected with this topic as i am only posting on here as a guest rather than author, or is it a start a new topic job? Anyway heres a few pics to show the little progress, I'll sort the sizing out later....

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:47:14 am »

Hi Container Feeder,

your build looks very interesting.

I would like to know if FAIRWIND has a real original or if she rather represents a kind of generic container feeder vessel?
Are you working from plans?
Did you mould the GRP hull yourself? For an alleged first time go at GRP your work looks absolutely professional.
What is the scale of the model? To me it looks like somewhere between 1:100 and 1:75.

Keep on the good work and keep on reporting.
We all very interestedly follow your advances.

Ralph

container feeder

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »

Hi Ralph

Thanks for the comments, the model is itself a Deans Marine kit and is to a scale of 1/76 so it picks up the containers which are available for model railways. From what it says on their website Fairwind was built in 1989 but was heavily modified in 1993 and renamed and the kit represents the former. The plan that came with the kit is not quite to the size of the hull but locations of most things can be worked fairly easily from the pictures on the plan and instruction book. Hope to try and keep the update coming.

Gary

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:05:38 am »

Hi Gary

Nice to see you back here post the Mayhem meltdown
I see you have reregistered as I had to.

Anyway I'll follow your build with interest
and as I am a nosy so and so O0
do you have any connection with containers or shipping?
and where in the world are you based?

Dave

container feeder

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:43:23 am »

Hi Dave sorry for the very late reply have not been on here for some time now due to other things. Anyway in reply to you're questions i do not personally have any connection to containers and shipping other than i used to watch vessels making there way up and down river and been loaded/unloaded in the docks in my home town of Goole. Unfortunately all container traffic to the docks has ended in the last 14 months, the services having now moved to Hull and Immingham.

container feeder

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:19:36 pm »

Well its been too long since I showed any progress on the Fairwind but For anyone that is interested the hull has been primed and sprayed its top colour and varnished to give it some protection, everything else is moving as slowly as would be expected.

michael 1979

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 09:42:33 pm »

Your Ship is looking very good, How do you find the Deans Kit? I heard that their quality is very hit and miss? I had the Murineag and it was defiantly hard work, but satisfaction came from making a bulk of the parts myself  :-)

Regards
Michael

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »

Hey Gary - saw the boat sat on the bin and thought you'd given up on it  {-)

Well done for keeping on with the build - it's a hobby and takes time - it's looking good anyway.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.