Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy seeks help and advise  (Read 1959 times)

Sir Albert

New guy seeks help and advise
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:29:42 pm »

Hi everyone, I have for a long time wanted to build a detailed radio controlled warship, but never had the time to get around to it, so I have settled in the past to build static F1 cars inkit form along with variou ships by Dragon.  But now I have a bit more time and spare cash (but tell the wife) I want to give it a go. I have been on the Sirmar and fleetscale sites to have a quick look and I am very impressed with what is available. 

I reallyfancy building either a type 42 destroyer or type 22 or 23 Frigate, I guess it depends which is easier of the 3 for my maiden build.

First things first is knowing how to go about getting satrted and knowing the basics etc. So any advise anyone can give me would be greatly received and very welcome. including wht toolls are needed, ( I have most modelling tools from my previous projects as Ive stated above.  Like wise if you think I am being too ambitious or biting too much off in one go then please feel free to also tell me.

I look forward to hearing some good sound advise.

richtea

Re: New guy seeks help and advise
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

Sir Albert,
First of all welcome to Mayhem,
you will find that most of your questions will be answered by our friendly Mayhemmers.
Also a good way of starting out is to join your local model boat club.
Most of the members will be happy to help and advise you.
Regards
Richard

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:54 pm »

What your asking is a question thats difficult to answer . As regards tools if youve got some great. as your build may use diffrent materials eg fiberglass Wood  plastic etc, id just buy what you need as and when.Each person has different skill levels. So  money permitting decide what and how mutch you want to do yourself. Build the hull from wood from scratch? It might be better to start with a fiberglass hull.  Please remember that most warships have a lot of detail. Is this your want? Im sure that you will soon recieve some advice on what are good starter boats. Have a look at the build threads. This will help you to decide your skills. John.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:20:27 pm »

Hi

If it is a warship you are wanting to do I think for a first attempt you might find the Fleetscale or Sirmar a little difficult as they are not like the kits you are used to.

They tend to be a fibre glass hull with sheets of plasticard, a set of drawings and fittings.

The more simple kits would be the Deans Marine version in which you get a hull, plasticard already marked out for cutting, all the fittlngs and drawing, and instruction book.

The instructions can be a bit vague and you need to check every thing before cutting just to make sure they fit.

They do make up into a nice model if you take your time.

www.deansmarine.co.uk

Here is one of my Deans models. Here is my build.  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24837.0

I hope this is helpful.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Sir Albert

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:30:48 pm »

Thanks for the advise so far, I do like a challenge and I am a very practical and am a perfectionist, so I will have a good think of what I want to do. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.