Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: trawler plan  (Read 25094 times)

yorkie1

Re: trawler plan
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 11:09:44 am »

Hi Larry.
I will post a pic of how my boat deck lifts off so that I can get to the running gear,my portholes are just brass type eyelets from any hardware store,and my lifeboats I traced out the shape of the boat from the top view and cut out the shape in thin ply I then traced the shape of the keel and did the same and glued them together and filled them in with balsa and then did a lot of sanding and shaping.
Good luck.
Yorkie1

yorkie1

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 11:49:03 am »

Hi Larry.
I made my funnel out of 1"3/4 wast pipe and it works to scale fine and the cap at the top of the funnel is the shaped washer for waste pipe screw joints.
Has you can see from the pics I left my boatdeck supports attached to the hull I think this was a mistake I sholld have attached to the boatdeck because when working on the running gear they are a pain.
yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 01:04:06 pm »

thank you for reply,  here are the pictures of build so far,  cut out rudder area and as you can see sub decks fitted and bulwarks dont look to bad now
      got work out supports not shown on drawings will have to do a bit guessing , can you see the top of bulwarks hand rail i will be using    Larry..

yorkie1

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

Hi Larry.
Looking good so far.
For the supports I used matchsticks from the model shop I bought a huge bag for about £4 quid it was the only size they sold,but now I have a huge bag of matchsticks that I will never use,so not one of my best ideas.
Yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:12 pm »

Hi yorkie,
            thank you for reply,  another good idea  :-)), may be you sell the surplus on sales and wants,   question what did you use for top rail  ?     Larry

yorkie1

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

Hi Larry.
For the top rail I used I think 3mm plasticard it is easy to cut and shape and with super glue it stuck well to the hull.
Yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »

Hi ,     Thank you....Larry

yorkie1

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »

Hi Larry.
Just a couple of things that may help you,for the mast stays I used a type of thread with rubber in the middle it does not sag like normal thread after it gets a bit damp,and for the galley funnel and the foc'sle funnel I used the middle of a Biro pen and super glued them.
yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 09:33:47 am »

hi sorry for late reply computer problems  ,       Larry..

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »

Hi Larry

Just saying hello and that I'm still watching the build. :-)
Computers? - love using them - don't understand them at all.

Dave

yorkie1

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »

Hi Larry.
How is the boatdeck coming along.
yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »

HELLO YORKIE
                       Have a look , a bit of a slow job but getting there,    port holes hand rail  and decking ,
                      question /    what motor and prop drives yours,     had a look at HMBG   but keep picking a bogey  given me PC trouble shame really a good web site   Larry

last picture for deck  Ikea blind good old favorite  :-))

yorkie1

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:56 am »

Hi Larry.
Aft accommodation looking good, I will have to have a look at my paperwork to find out what type of motor etc,remembering my name at my age is a problem {-).
Yorkie1

LarryW

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 02:25:07 pm »

Hi Yorkie,
            had a go at making gallows,   have only plan and elevation drawing no sections not the best informed drawing so a bit of guess in folded
           pictures show first attempt .  looking for a better source of deck pictures of work items .
          Shown in pictures is a simple card jig for gallows curve .........Larry....

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »

LarryW

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2012, 08:24:52 pm »

THANK YOU DAVE,
                         A good site , looking for life boat davits now,  why don't the plan draftsmen draw sections ? it would make life a lot easer
              thats why i like James Pottinger plans they cover the complete boat from stem to stern :-))       Larry... .

nhp651

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »

what scale is your trawler Larrie?

kiwi

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »

Because Larry,
it takes time to do all the details, and time costs money. Most draw a model boat, with enough to get the outlines right, and then assume the modeller will have photo and other evidence to fill in the gaps.
Draughtsmen, like James Pottinger, draw the original boat, and record as much detail as they can as a truer record of the original boat. Usually, but not always they are also paid to produce them, where as the model draughties usually work for themselves or other model business', hence the limiting budget.
kiwi

yorkie1

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2012, 07:46:04 am »

Hi Larry.
I cannot find any paperwork on motor but it runs on a 12volt 15 amp system I used an 8 inch prop shaft with a  3  blade right hand propeller I think I could have used a 6 volt system but with the extra power it is handy to be able to get you out of trouble if there are sailing boats on the pond.
Yorkie1

yorkie1

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

Hi Larry.
Just had a look at my motor and this is on the label.
MFA Como drills
919 D series
Single ratoi gearbox
4.5 15V DC
Hope this helps.
A couple of pics Southella on the pond

LarryW

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2012, 09:45:28 am »

Good morning Yorkie,

Thank you info have decks plank now ,and gallows made , pure guess work no sections shown on Tom Gourmans plan.
        starting life boat next more guess work ......photos to follow ............ Larry....

LarryW

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

Hi Yorkie, and all who are watching my effort .   a few deck planking pictures using Ikea blind.........Larry...

yorkie1

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:00 am »

Hi Larry.
It's beginning to look the part,it's at this stage I think that your enjoyment begins because you can see what it is going to look like,but I suppose there are going to be a few frustrating times ahead.
Regards yorkie1

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »

and all who are watching my effort

:-)) watching and enjoying Larry

Dave

LarryW

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:38 am »

thank you for watching    had a new project on the bench to sought out my lads Dusseldorf fire boat plumbing nightmare and wiring headache .
     will post pictures when new computer program sorted   as arney   says ill be back /...........Larry..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.