Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two recently released 1M RC yachts - Serenity and the Vela  (Read 6821 times)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Two recently released 1M RC yachts - Serenity and the Vela
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

There are two recently released RTR boats being marketed here in the U.S. One is the "so called" 1 Meter Serenity and the 1 Meter Vela. The main U.S. supplier for the Serenity is ProBoat  (Horizon Hobbies) The Serenity which is being marketed as a 1 Meter sailboat which seems a bit odd as it is  914.4 MM (36") not 1 meter (or 39.37007")

The "Serenity" is advertised as an RTR and comes with a Spektrum 2.4GHz 2-stick Transmitter (DX2M)/Spektrum MR200 Receiver with a suggested retail price $299.99 USD. This is slightly less than Aquacraft's Vela 1 Meter - which is actually one meter long with a current retail price of $349.98 USD

I have not seen any posts on this forum that has mentioned either of these two boats. Curious if any of you chaps have heard of or possibly seen either one? Your comments are welcomed. I posted some photos so if you have not seen either of these boats, you will be able to get an idea of what they look like.

Windchaser.

Here are link to a short video on the Serenity if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RruHBZsCD9c

Specifications for the Serenity:
Length: 36 inches
Beam: 7.5 inches
Mast Height: 51.5 inches
Radio: Spektrum 2.4GHz 2-stick Transmitter (DX2M)/Spektrum MR200
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Sail Material: Rip-stop nylon
Sail Area (Main): 342 sq in
Sail Area (Jib): 179 sq in
Sail Area (Overall): 521.5 sq in

Here are a couple of links to videos on the Vela:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7w1O5_GQJ8&feature=related

Aquacraft Vela
LOA---40" (1016mm)
beam--6.5" (165mm)
height--79" (2006mm)
weight--6 lbs (2720 g)
comes with Tactic 2.4 ghz 3 channel radio(and rx)(Tactic TR324)
sail arm servo seems to be a tactic TSX382
rudder servo is tactic SX-100

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Two recently released 1M RC yachts - Serenity and the Vela
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:25 am »

Sorry mates, I had to use two posts to get all the pictures posted. Here are the pictures of the Vela.
Windchaser.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:20 pm »

I've seen a Vela it is very nice but quite expensive. They are quite popular in the US, lots of model shops selling them, generally for about $395 + Tax. I nearly bought one but the box is bl00dy massive & the excess baggage would have been horrendous. The Serenity is nice but a fair weather yacht, smaller keel.

There is another 1m boat just released, the Focus by Joysway imported by Ripmax. Mine has been built but not tested yet. Beautifully made, the hull is I think spun moulded GRP & is incredibly light. RRP in the UK is £229. Minor snag is the draft is greater than a welly boot, so I might need waders! Radio looks OK, Rx is really tiny. The rig is massive it has a taller mast & bigger sail set than my oldish Marblehead.

http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?ItemID=B-JS-9902

Jim

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:10 pm »

I am aware of Joysway (large toy manufacturer in China) Along with their "toys" they make a range of RC models, thus far I have not seen much of their product here in the States. My guess is that they have not focused on the US market? Not sure. I am always on the look out for new RC Sailboats for my collection, these two caught my attention.

I like to get insights from the guys on this forum as well as from others I am active on before I make a purchase - I have learned a lot from this the forum's members over the years - The two boats seem to be selling pretty well here in the US,  but I have seen no mention of them on this forum. Thus my post. Like to get some input from your side of the world.

Can you take a photo that shows the inside of the boat - like to see what they are using for servos. Thanks for your response.

Windchaser.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »

I recently aquired a Serenity and must say the fiberglass hull is one of the finest lay ups I have seen! The gelcoat is flawless! It looks every bit as good as the it does in the photos! Another nice feature is that all the deck details are metal not plastic, which is another positive for this boat. I think the life lines add an nice touch of scale to the boat.

The sail winch is an area of concern for me as I admittly am a fan of a standard servo arm arrangement for boats of this size.
Time will tell if there is an issue with it or not.

The packaging the boat comes in is excellant, and should insure the boats make it through the shipping process without harm. The radio provided is a 2.4ghz and is not a bad product for the money. Horizon Hobbies/Proboat here in the US is known for it's outstanding after sales service, so there is no concerns there if you should discover any issue with your new boat.

I got my boat at a reduced price as the outter shipping box showed some signes of mis-handling - there was no damage to the internal packaging or to the boat, so I was fortunate to have saved $75 US. Makes it all that much better of a boat! Love a bargin!

Anyway anyone considering a new 36" boat, not a 1 meter as the manufacturer has mistakenly advertised it to be. Guess we Americans can't figure out the metric system even today?
Nice size for transporting to the lake or pond and the keel design leans it's self to shallow water or to ponds with plant life growing up from the bottom.

Boomer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 04:21:04 am »

Sad to report that a few months ago Horizon Hobbies/Proboat decided to discontinue offering their Serenity RC yacht. Another very nice RC boat falls victim to the slumping economy. I am very happy that I was able to acquire one prior to their being cut out of the manufacturer's product mix.
I mentioned that the Serenity was very similar to the venerable Kyosho Fairwind and in particular the Fairwind lll. When I found the Serenity I had not been successful in locating a new Fairwind lll. Some time after getting the Serenity I found a new Fairwind lll on E-bay and picked it up as a very attractive price.
The boats are equally beautiful in fit and finish. I opted to sell my Serenity to close friend that had been admiring it - All is well that ends well as they say. O0
Boomer
Posted a photo of the Serenity and the Fairwind side by side -

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »

There is another 1m boat just released, the Focus by Joysway imported by Ripmax. Mine has been built but not tested yet. Beautifully made, the hull is I think spun moulded GRP & is incredibly light. RRP in the UK is £229. Minor snag is the draft is greater than a welly boot, so I might need waders! Radio looks OK, Rx is really tiny. The rig is massive it has a taller mast & bigger sail set than my oldish Marblehead.

http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?ItemID=B-JS-9902

Hi guys, Just like to add that after a life time of model building I am completely new to sailing yachts. Having decided to try it out I bought a Joysway Focus after a considerable internet search trying to evaluate what was out there - ARTS that is. The Focus - to me - appeared to offer the best overall package for the outlay - I bought mine from Wheelspin Models who have it discounted and offer free delivery - no connection just extremely satisfied with their service

I have not been disappointed - the quality is just superb and the sailing attributes - according to the fellow sailors at the club I have joined (Norwich MBC) is just as equal. When I say 'I' that should really be 'we' - my wife has been so taken with it she has joined too and now has her own Focus. As a 'builder' I confess to being somewhat reluctant to going down the ARTS route (this was a very definite first) but any doubts I may have had were soon dispelled.

I have improved the rigging and one or two fittings - by choice not by requirement - but basically it's as it came out of the box.

Hope that may be of interest - one thing I can add is - I think it's fair to say I'm/we're hooked  :-)

Regards - Ramon

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:01 am »

Ramon
How about posting some pictures of your new boat. I have seen only a few pictures of a Focus but nothing up close. Like to see inside the hull and some nice profile pictures. I know you will  enjoy this terrific hobby!
Boomer

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.