Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Building The Lady Wooes  (Read 16508 times)

Alan McL

Building The Lady Wooes
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:54 am »

I have just joined the forum and am about to start building The Lady Wooes from MMM. I purchased the complete kit and am looking forward to making a start. I would welcome any help or advice as I progress with my construction. I will include some photographs of the model at various stages. Looking forward to the Forum as much as I am to the mode.

barryfoote

Re: Building The Lady Wooes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:50:09 am »

Welcome Alan. There are several of us who have built models from MMB, including the Lady Wooes, so I am sure you will get all the advise you need.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:55 am »

Hi Alan and welcome to Mayhem.

I have built the Lady Wooes and not quite finished her yet. There is a blog on here of the work so far.

My reason for writing was to say that it's a great looking tug and full of detail. Just take your time and measure twice (or six times ??) before cutting anything. The drawings are not to scale which means fabricating any thing is very difficult. The idea was to use the drawings as a  'what went where'  indication and it assumes that everything will fit.  Well it don't. !!  so be careful.  Photocopy the  'Jigs'  to use as masters as they might need trimming to fit etc.

We look forward to your build and plenty of pictures and questions please.  :-))

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

LarryW

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:31 pm »

WELCOME ALAN,
                     A good start using mayam , TUG KENNY is the man on tugs , as for advice theres plenty on the site. 
                     as for starting any prodject , seek history have a dummy run though on every thing you do and if you do mess up ,
                     try again , ITS A LEARNING CURVE   i am no expert only in 2nd year of modeling boats and you learn some thing every day ,
                        so good luck with build , remember if it looks rite it is rite  ......LARRY....

Alan McL

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I always enjoy reading about members experiences, and I am sure I will be able to get a lot of help.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:00:53 pm »

Hi Alan and Welcome.

I'm really looking forward to your build. :-)

Dave

Alan McL

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »

Can anybody tell me how they get the rivet heads to look so realistic on the superstructures of the tug models. I will be building in plywood and would love to obtain this amount of detail.

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

HI,
    on ply wood,   a pipit filled with pva , and controlled spacing on a datum line , practice on a scrap piece first.
       or thin styrene sheet again on a datum line use a spring loaded centre punch equal spacing then contact adhesive to ply
      some modelers use a dyno letter tool.     will try  and post some pics of these metherds i have used all of mentioned........LARRY..

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:03 pm »

Talking to you made me think of mine.  I have a problem with the steering which I've posed on the tugs section which you might be interested in.

cheers

Ken

Alan McL

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »

Thanks for this advice Larry. I an nowhere near this point with my model but was curious as to how it was done. Thanks again.

Alan McL

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:11:52 pm »

Second day of building having previously cut out the wash ports.  I put the filler on the inside of the hull to the areas between the deck and  handrail position. I don't know the technical term for this part of a boat. I put too thick a layer of filler on resulting in a huge amount of dust when I sanded it off. I used a Dremel with a small sanding disk. Looking forward to installing the running gear.

LarryW

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28:13 pm »

hi alan,
       can you post some build pics, ? it wuold help ........LARRY...

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »

Hi Alan

Yes, we are all addicted to pics here - all pixel junkies just looking for the next fix O0 {-)

Dave

Alan McL

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »

I would love to post some pictures but am trying to find out how to compress them into a size that is acceptable. At the moment I don't  know how to do this.

LarryW

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:54 am »

HI ALAN,
        There is a page , set up by martin  on resizing and posting picures on the mayam , and its easy to follow :-))LARRY...

Alan McL

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 10:13:22 am »

Thanks Larry. I have located the article you mentioned. The instructions do look very clear indeed and I will have a crack at it later today.

Alan McL

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »

I have purchased the radio control equipment, two lead acid batteries,a speed controller, a smoke unit and a sound generator for whistle sounds. I need to think about where these items will be positioned in the boat before I crack on with construction. Still struggling with resizing photos but will post some when I know how.

Alan McL

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »

I have hit a snag. In order to get the prop shaft horizontal, the end that is inside the hull is very close to the botton of the boat. By the time I have fitted the electric motors the shaft will not be perrfectly horizontal. Its not a long way out, but I have visions of the bow of the boat being pointed towards the sky when under power. I will have to give this some carefull thought.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

Hi Alan.

I have this problem and was advised to raise the shaft beyond the indicated extrusion. I shall be sanding the original position and re-doing the hole further up the boat.

I found the prop tube was too horizontal to allow for a motor inside the hull, so mine is tilted  (at the moment).  I shall be removing the whole assemblies and relocating them higher up.

At the moment her sailing abilities are severely crippled, because the props are out below the line of the rudder which doesn't steer very well. You may also have to increase the Prop's diameter.

Hope this helps before you go too far with the assembly and it's associated problems.

Here's a picture of mine at the moment.

regards

ken

ps.  the white bit is a  'Mod'  I was going to do but that idea is now cancelled.

ken

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

Hi

Have you thought about having a belted or geared type of set up?
The motor isn't then so low. I am sure you will know what I mean
even if I have said it poorly.

Dave

787Eng

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »

Like this...
As posted in another post, this was my solution to the low shafts in a Wooes...Works really well, and she spins on her funnel.

Respectfully
Mark

Alan McL

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Thanks Ken, Mark and Dave. I will study the different choices tomorrow.

Alan McL

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »

I have installed the running gear and was not surprised to find that it was a bit tricky. Today I floated the hull in a tank was was dismayed to find two small leaks, one where the shaft passes through the hull, and the other one at one of the prop shaft supports. I have resealed both of these and will test it again tomorrow.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »

Good luck tomorrow Alan - what's your test tank then?

Dave

Alan McL

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:41 pm »

I have just retired as Chief Pilot flying a business jet out of Hawarden airport near Chester, but work part time for the same owner. This allows me the use of our own aircraft hangar which is well equipped with workshops, one of which is for my sole use. The tank is a very large stainless steen sink , about five foot long by 3 feet wide. It's about 18 inches deep.  I will post some pictures very soon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 23 queries.