Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Subbury  (Read 4932 times)

spiderman

SS Subbury
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »

Hi Shipmates,

As anyone of our Mayhem members converted a Revell 1/72 scale Corvette into SS Sudbury, Canadian Salvage Tug?

The only item I can find is the article by George Peat, who I have tried to contact but I read somewhere that he's sadly no longer with us.
I have got the book "High Seas & High Risk" Story of the Sudburys but I'm looking for more detail of the stern area, the book does not show much around the winch etc and the photos of George's build are not very detailed'
so any help would be grateful.

So far Iv'e built the hull and modified the rear bulwalk also built some of the superstructure and raised the foredeck and  bulwark.
I have some photos that I will upload later.

Thank John.

spiderman

Re: SS Subbury
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »

Photo 1

spiderman

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »

Photo 2

spiderman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »

Photo 3

spiderman

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »

Photo4

spiderman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

Photo 5

spiderman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:22:11 pm »

Photo 6

spiderman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:47 pm »

Photo 1 2 & 3

Shows the rear hull which had to be altered to a more tug like shape, as the Corvettes stern is quite flared outwards, this involved using a hair dryer on the back of the hull and pushing it against a hard surface!
Quite frightening I half expected the hull to end up on the carpet in a molton heap, but alas it worked as the photos show.

spiderman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »

If anyone out there has photos of the area around the winch and stern etc?  I would be grateful to have a look.

I was hoping that someone else may have built one so that I could share their notes & ideas etc, but its still early days yet  so I will keep my fingers crossed!

If no one comes forward I will just have to do the best I can with what I can make out.
It appears that I have all the photos that are availabe on the net at the moment so at least no one will be able to say I've got it wrong,
I hope anyway?
But any advice is welcome.

Thank you all for your help
John.

tugs46

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »

Have a look here:

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=683.0

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/MODELS/Sudbury/Sudbury.htm

You'll have to join the forum to view the pictures though. :-))

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:46 pm »

Interesting build - named after my hometown!  I didn't know that they built corvettes at Kingston Dredge and Dock during the war.  I know they built naval tugs at Steelcraft in Owen Sound and Canadian Bridge in Trenton.

tugs46

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 05:14:01 pm »

How`s the build coming John.

spiderman

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest.

Well SS Sudbury as had its lower portholes filled and eyebrows removed where necessary.
The rear bulwark has being shaped to look more tug like this was done by filling in the score lines on either side using plastic model filler while being taped in shape and then a filling plate has been put into the stren.
I have made and fitted the extra bulwarks around the foredeck and also made a new foredeck with a large access hole in it so I can get into the hull if required otherwise it will be sealed down to make watertight!.
Then I made the rudder, rudder post,  servo rod etc and fitted a Kyte motor which other people have said will do the job.
I then filed down the the very over size keel plate at the bow, which it look a lot better. I have left it on underneath as this adds strength to the hull and is not so noticeable.
Its had its first coat of satin black paint which I have brushed on to help hide the over heavy plating panels, a few more coats will be needed !!. I usually airbrush if possible, I've converted a 1/72 Revell Gato Class Sub to surface running and sprayed that with great results USS Growler complete with Kangaroo on the bow!
I am thinking of cutting out a new rear deck so I can make an emergency access hole over the top of the rudder post  in case of any future problems? The original deck is hard plastic which is harder to cut neatly.

I will put some photo,s on here the end of this week all being well.

Just like to say a Big Thanks for everyones help.
Regards
John

spiderman

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:33 pm »

Hi All,

Just a few more photos of the progress so far.
I think they explain themselves?
John.

spiderman

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

Photo 2

spiderman

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:12 pm »

Photo 3

spiderman

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

Photo 4

spiderman

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »

Photo 5

spiderman

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

Photo 6

spiderman

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

Photo 7

spiderman

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 07:55:09 pm »

Photo 8

spiderman

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

Photo 9

The raised bulwark was a bit of a challange as it needs good firm fixings to make it useable. ie: sailing on the water with others boats so
I decided to use flat brass strip epoxyed to the hull and when set applied the bulwarks using epoxy as well but only a enough to give a good bond otherwise
it gets everywhere and is hard to remove when set.

John

tugs46

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »

Looking real good!! :-)) :-))

spiderman

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »

Hi Everyone,
Not much progress since the last posting, Got the ok to emigrate to NZ so the model room has had to be put back to a third bedroom and the house is up for sale!
I now have to decide which out of all my models to take with me?
So it may be on hold for quite a while, but I will stay with this Great Web Site and post when I can.

Cheers for now,
John (Spiderman)
PS: All my Tarantulas have had to go as well as they don't allow them in NZ!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.