Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE TO SOBER THE MIND AND BRING A TEAR TO THE EYE  (Read 1731 times)

nhp651

ONE TO SOBER THE MIND AND BRING A TEAR TO THE EYE
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:45:07 am »

You're a 19 year old  kid.

You're  critically wounded and dying in
The jungle somewhere in  the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .....

It's November  11, 1967.    
LZ  (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is  outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100  yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered  the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying  there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is  half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll  never see them again.

As the world  starts to fade in and out, you know this is the  day.
Then - over the  machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a  helicopter.
You look up to see a  Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no  MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed  Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not  MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and  decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire  anyway.

Even after the  MedEvacs were ordered not to come..He's coming  anyway.

And he drops  it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3  of you at a time on board.

Then he flies  you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses  and safety.

And, he  kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the  wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over  that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left  arm.
He took 29 of you and  your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it  without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor  Recipient, Captain Ed  Freeman, United States Air  Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise,  Idaho

May God Bless  and Rest His Soul.

I bet you  didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a  whole bunch  about Lindsay Lohan,  Tiger Woods and the bickering of congress over Health  Reform.

Medal of Honor  Winner Captain Ed Freeman
Shame on the media  !!!

No matter how much you disagreed with the Vietnam, or any war for that matter, you have to give guys like this true admiration for the courage they show.

TailUK

Re: ONE TO SOBER THE MIND AND BRING A TEAR TO THE EYE
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

You're a 19 year old  kid.

You're  critically wounded and dying in
The jungle somewhere in  the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .....

It's November  11, 1967.    
LZ  (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is  outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100  yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered  the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying  there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is  half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll  never see them again.

As the world  starts to fade in and out, you know this is the  day.
Then - over the  machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a  helicopter.
You look up to see a  Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no  MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed  Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not  MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and  decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire  anyway.

Even after the  MedEvacs were ordered not to come..He's coming  anyway.

And he drops  it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3  of you at a time on board.

Then he flies  you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses  and safety.

And, he  kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the  wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over  that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left  arm.
He took 29 of you and  your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it  without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor  Recipient, Captain Ed  Freeman, United States Air  Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise,  Idaho

May God Bless  and Rest His Soul.

I bet you  didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a  whole bunch  about Lindsay Lohan,  Tiger Woods and the bickering of congress over Health  Reform.

Medal of Honor  Winner Captain Ed Freeman
Shame on the media  !!!

No matter how much you disagreed with the Vietnam, or any war for that matter, you have to give guys like this true admiration for the courage they show.

When I hear a story like this I always think of a friend of my dads.  He was a big fat chap who always seemed a little slow. Like my dad he'd served during the second world war and like most of them didn't tak about it much.
Dad and a group of friends had gone fishing up in the scottish borders. Peter, the chap in question, turned up after being out of sight along the bank, he was soaked from head to foot.  Of course, he got some stick for having fallen in but took it in good stead.  That night at the hotel the Police were looking for Peter who apparently had saved 2 people from drowning.
When it was written up in the local paper it turns out Peter had learned to swim because he'd been a Royal Marine Commando during the war and had taken part in several "daring" raids during the course of which he'd been awarded the Military Medal.
It never ceases to amaze me that such ordinary people did such extraordinary things and then just went back to being ordinary.  With all due respect to the personnel engaged overseas at the moment these men and women did these thing without fuss or fanfare.   

pettyofficernick

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

He gets my vote! It takes a special person to show bravery such as that, and many families in the US will be greatfull for his actions.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

This guy died a few years back, there was a TV programme about him and he was in the media....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Freeman

Russ

tugmad

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:48:50 am »

It make one feel very insignificant in this day and age.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:50:55 am »

Was he the guy who used his rotor blades to chop through the trees to make a landing area? There was a tv show about that on a couple of years ago, I think that may have been the same programme mentioned above. He was also featured in the movie 'We Were Soldiers'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.