Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Tug Applegarth .  (Read 3356 times)

dave301bounty

Steam Tug Applegarth .
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »

Friday 13th  . 52 years ago the Steam tug Applegarth belonging to Rea towing based on the River Mersey ,was run down by the Perthshire . There was a total loss of life in the crew .I was an apprentice fitter in the shipyard of Wm Cubbin,s Birkenhead ,and this news greeted us as we started our days work . When she was refloated and brought up to the shipyard ,we all had a big job on to remedy her for being made seaworthy ,but that was after the boiler was e-rayed because having had a full head of steam when she went down into water that was at best 3 c,there was doubts as to the boiler having a fracture .Eventually all tests revealed she was o k and the task went on to bring her up to being a working tug again .  It was on the local Radio today ,and some of the chaps were young but remember their father not coming back ,very sad ,and I will always remember the day .I have a photo of my father being on a camel in the raing team with the dock board ,he was standing there with another chap in a very solem mood as you would do .

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Steam Tug Applegarth .
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »

It certainly was a foul night, remember it well; also remember the Applegarth alongside Cubbins covered in red lead paint.

LB

dave301bounty

Re: Steam Tug Applegarth .
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:02:47 pm »

there were 6 fitters and apprentices ,all draw filling all of the boiler pipework flanges ,a huge box of files was in the workshop ,and we were all draw filling away ,being inspected as we compleated a pipe   it was a very long laborious job ,and yes ,when she was painted in red lead ,another treatment was appied cant remember what ,but at the time a lot of important people were coming and going ,also the main engine crankshaft was sent to grason/rollo,s for checking ,that was a big lift ,and who took the pics ,,someone did .there was a lot of photo,s being taken ,but suppose they have vanished ..thanks anyway  L B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.