Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: K class steam submarines  (Read 8941 times)

bobk

  • Guest
Re: K class steam submarines
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »

Hi Nick B

My additional parts from Caswell were the front and rear dive planes, rudder, and a twelve inch gun barrel as these were created for the M Class.  Not 3" or 4" guns - sorry.  The M Class were essentially the final batch of K's laid down but converted to even more bizarre roles as the K's predilection for mishaps and calamity 'sunk' in.  M1 as a submersible monitor, M2 a submarine aircraft carrier, and M3 an underwater minelayer.  The rudder and planes were effectively the same.

Nicely made cast resin parts with brass rods etc, but I would suggest you think about a carrying frame with 'boxes' to protect the rear, front, and superstructure for transport.  I guess the same for most historic subs.  The K & M front planes retracted inwards into the hull, but I am being advised not to replicate that.  It was just a thought to help protect them for transit and mooring.  Best to contact Caswell direct for these.
Logged

raflaunches

  • Guest
Re: K class steam submarines
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »

Hi Bobk

Thanks for confirming about the 3 and 4 inch guns, thought I was going mad %% trying to find non-existent fittings from Caswell.
I see what you mean about the forward planes retracting in, I had only enlarged one part of John Lambert's plan to full size so I forgot about this!
That's a good idea about transporting the model, don't want a repeat of the Coventry accident at the Dean's Marine open day last year!

Took the hull to work this week to continue working on it at night, no pictures at the moment but I have made the starboard torpedo bay doors from 0.25mm plastic card and glued them to the hull.  The mechanisms used to open them on the real boat were replicated from  1mm square plastic strut.  Then I gave a coat of primer to see if there was any blemishes, there was a couple which I blended out with a bit of wet and dry sandpaper.

Whilst I was waiting for the primer to dry, I decided to cut out the superstructure deck layout onto a piece of 1mm plastic card and laid it on to the hull, luckily it fits (just) on to the removable centre section.
Hopefully I will upload some pictures next week.

Regards

Nick B   
Logged

bobk

  • Guest
Re: K class steam submarines
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »

Sounds like some good progress being made Nick.  I look forward to seeing some photos when you are able  :-))

I am focusing on building the sub driver first, then interfacing it with the hull.  Hats off to Caswell on fast response.  I ordered four pairs of magnetic couplings on Monday evening (GMT) and they arrived yesterday. Suggest you contact them for the K/M dive planes and rudders.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up